Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

To get the ball rolling, I figure I'll post my home backup scheme!

My primary storage for my home is a Synology NAS. All of my laptops/desktops (I have four in my home) back up to the NAS daily. The macs use Time Machine for this.

The NAS itself is backed up to an external harddrive every day and to the cloud once a week.

This gives me three layers of redundancy (NAS + EHD + CLOUD) for all my regular systems, and the NAS itself has two layers (EHD + Cloud).

how are you using time machine with a non-time capsule NAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

but my understanding was that time machine only technically supported time capsule, and that to use any other NAS or network share you had to enable unsupported network volumes. is that not the case? or is synology doing something tricky here?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Frankly, it just works (lol), well enough that I've never questioned how. I didn't even know there was such a restriction. My professional focus is Windows backups.

looks like western digital has the same feature on their "my cloud" stuff. i wonder if that was an old restriction and something has changed recently.

• Locked thread