Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rhymenoserous posted:

And managing a collection of folders in a loving dropbox of all things isn't going to work as well as you'd like to think it will. I've got a setup like this at the moment, it's horrid, obnoxious, it's hard to find poo poo. We have a new sharepoint server going online shortly.

Your problem seems to be you have a lovely sharepoint setup. It does collaboration just fine (Even to the point of managing revisions).

Correct here, whoever setup the sharepoint didn't do it correctly, you might need to pay consultants to do it, but when it's setup nicely it is REALLY good. We do all our change management documentation through sharepoint and it rocks, versioning, workflow approvals, custom fields, etc etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We are just finishing setting up Veeam in our environment, we have 2 physical servers that will act as backup devices (they are also DCs... ask me about the fun getting SQL installed on a DC is), they are connected to a SAN, they will be backing up 3 VMHosts of hyper-v stuff, with direct 10Gb links between the hosts and the backup system. It took 5 minutes to back-up 3 VMs at the same time and 3 minutes to restore them, at least in our testing. I can give you a better trip-report over the next few weeks once we get our back-up schedule finalized and do our first week of full backups/diffs and then test restores.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dyscrasia posted:

Sane question here, I'm using reflect but curious about Veeam.
We just purchased Veeam for work and the backup guy seems to like it.

Yeah we just configured it, so far so good, unsure about the free version though. The paid version has been a breeze, although I haven't had to deal with any other systems, our backups were previously handled by a different group that was... unreliable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Does anyone use vaultlogix? Just got thrown into supporting it and it seems to be having issues with a SQL AlwaysOn cluster. We have 2 nodes in the cluster and 7-8 groups, it doesn't seem to be very good at handling the backups for the cluster as it's failing backups when it's attempting to backup a database that is the secondary replica, which I kind of understand, but I have to configure it to look at all the databases because they could technically live on either node at the same time. I'm fairly certain I can't have it look at the SQL cluster itself and rather have to have it look at each node in the cluster. Anyone dealt with this have any suggestions?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I mean if they have the money, why not do both on-site and off-site? We typically run Veeam for local backups (every client has VM hosts) and then use a cloud provider (currently vaultlogix but we're switching to a different solution in like 2 weeks because they got bought out). Local backups are good because you have quick restores for when things get funky and then you have cloud backups for when the building explodes or whatever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scrapez posted:

Not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this or not.

I'm looking for a 4 bay NAS to be used for general household backups/data storage. Is there a definitive best option for an unloaded NAS brand and model?
I have 4 Seagate Barracuda 1 tb SATA drives (ST1000DM003) that I'd be using.

On that note, Are those drives up to snuff for use in a NAS? I read a bit about them and it seems there are NAS specific SATA drives? The difference seems to be throughput. Would 6Gb/s be sufficient for SAN use?

Should be fine, the NAS specific drives (as you said) have higher throughput, but using those is assuming you are constantly reading/writing to the disk, not using it for low access storage, which is what you're saying, slower drives should be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Windows and a whole shitload of different apps. I work at an MSP so I get the special version of backup hell where I don't actually know some of the things I am backing up.

ooooohhhh I love that. Yesterday at our MSP was the every 3 week "We just put a bunch of poo poo into production over the last few weeks and it's broken, but it's in production so now it's supports problem, here are 20 tickets gently caress you", 15 of them were for backup related failures.

• Locked thread