Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm also coming up on the end of my Crashplan subscription, and am switching over to Duplicati + B2. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing that first huge upload. My upload speed is usually around 1 Mbit / s, and I have around a terabyte to upload (spread out over 4 devices), which is 11.5 days of constant backing up. And really its even worse than that, because whenever I use the full 1 Mbit / s it completely demolishes my (shared) internet, so realistically I'm probably looking at around a month total backup time.

I know that when restoring from B2, you can have them send you a hard drive with all your data on it in the mail. Is there like a reverse of that service, where I can send them a hard drive for that first initial upload and then have them send it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

GuyGizmo posted:

I thought that only applied to Backblaze (the backup service), not B2. Does B2 actually offer that? And if you do it, is it still possible to decrypt and decode the data using Duplicati?

The more-recent comments by the Backblaze team on this article say that you can do Restore by Mail for a B2 snapshot, although I haven't tried it. Once you have the drive (and have removed Backblaze's encryption), I can't see any reason why duplicati shouldn't be able to decrypt and restore from it.

If anyone in this thread has any experience to the contrary, let me know.

e: They actually mention Restore By Mail under the "snapshots" tab under "my account" on the Backblaze site.

e2: Looks like it's not eligible for the return program, though. So you're out the hard drive money if you do go down that route.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 26, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Why do I want to manage Duplicati and a cloud service (B2/Amazon/etc) versus just paying $50 a year for regular Backblaze?

• Your machines have an average of < 1 TB of data.
  • Your machines run Linux.
  • You are also backing up somewhere besides the :yayclod: (e.g. to a local hard drive) and are also using duplicati to manage that.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I have an external harddrive to which I'd like to back up my windows and linux desktop partitions, and possibly a macbook as well (I'll be using Duplicati for this). What's the best filesystem for the external harddrive? It seems like all the major options (NTFS, exFAT, etc) have compatibility issues. Or should I just partition the drive three ways, and have three separate filesystems on it?

• Locked thread