Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
So I got this external HD early this year, and I only back my stuff up on it every few months.
Problem #1 is, this WD SmartWare program it came with seemed to nest my files into a folder with a long gibberish name. Anyways I think that caused some of my files to not be backed up, because their path became too long.

Problem #2 might only have to do with how I've resorted to clicking and dragging my files because of problem #1: The subfolders or files that I've since renamed on my internal HD leave me with extra copies in my external because well... I guess the word for it is they don't replace the local backup? Like, I just want the selected folders on my external to mirror the ones on my internal.

Also since I will only be plugging my external in inconsistently every few months (to try and keep the wear & tear down), I don't have any need for automatic/scheduled backup stuff.

So is there any free programs around that can do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

Flipperwaldt posted:

SyncBack Free.
Thanks, looks like "synchronization" was the word I was thinking of then.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Saving on wear and tear with harddrives is barely a thing afaik.
Ah, that so? I got the idea from a friend, seemed to make sense. Either way I use that extra USB port for a gamepad anyway.

• Locked thread