Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NihilCredo posted:

If you wanted to store an extra copy of your really important data in a bank safe (or a hole in the ground), and you couldn't afford tape, which storage medium is most likely to retain data integrity after many years offline? SSDs? HDDs? Pen drives?

e: assuming you can find a SATA-to-USB 9.0 adapter in 2040, naturally.

For a few years a HD would probably be okay from the list you mentioned, but they make stuff like the M-DISC optical disks for long term use. They haven't been around long enough to prove that they're that reliable, but nothing has.
http://www.mdisc.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

QuarkMartial posted:

Any suggestions for external hard drives?

My wife wants to back up her photos and important stuff, so for Christmas I was thinking of getting her an external HD and a subscription to a backup service. Just from glancing at the last page or two, it looks like Backblaze is what I'll go with for the online backups. However, I'd still like an external HD of some sort, too. Any suggestions for them? The couple I saw advertised locally and from some basic searching all had crappy reviews. It would most likely just live at home, but still needs to be pretty resistant to shocks and spills just because life happens.

There's a near-constant sale on WD Easystore 8TBs at Best Buy. They're usually $199 but have been on sale from 159-179 (with a quick pre-black friday dip to 129). It's probably way more space than you need but it's worth considering. Alternately there's the small backup drives that have laptop disks in them for 50-100 bucks for 1-2 TB that are alright.

The main thing about backups is making them automatic because people will never remember to back up as often as they should, but it sounds like you have that under control if you're going to get an online solution.

• Locked thread