Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I was looking at Amazon Glacier because it seemed to perfectly fit my needs (write once, restore hopefully never and with no real hurry, as cheap as possible), but I ended up confused as to why it even exists.

At $0.007/GB/month, and assuming no retrieval fees whatsoever, it'll take a whopping 700GB of storage before hitting price parity with Amazon Cloud Drive or CrashPlan, which are totally unlimited AND have no retrieval delay. Make that 400GB if you're in one of the $0.012 regions, again without retrieval fees (which are significant - $0.09/GB past the first giga).

So I guess it's still on the table if you only have a small archive set, but other than that, is there any reason not to go with the Cloud Drive instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This Black Friday I want to get an SSD and something approaching a backup system. For backups, a full-blown NAS is out of the current budget (maybe I'll ask larches about Buffalo's offerings :v:). I'm thinking of getting a ~2tb external for now. Is there a way to keep it hooked up physically, but only have it recognized when I actually want it to back up? I want to automate backups, but not have it connected 24/7 in case of cryptowall. I could write a batch or powershell script for it if I need to, I just want to make sure the idea is feasible.

What I immediately thought of:

:v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If you wanted to store an extra copy of your really important data in a bank safe (or a hole in the ground), and you couldn't afford tape, which storage medium is most likely to retain data integrity after many years offline? SSDs? HDDs? Pen drives?

e: assuming you can find a SATA-to-USB 9.0 adapter in 2040, naturally.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 4, 2015

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rexxed posted:

For a few years a HD would probably be okay from the list you mentioned, but they make stuff like the M-DISC optical disks for long term use. They haven't been around long enough to prove that they're that reliable, but nothing has.
http://www.mdisc.com/

Ooh, right, I've been optical-drive-less for several years now so I totally forgot those existed. Their price/GB is in the same ballpark as an SSD, so not too bad, especially if you don't need terabytes of storage.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

redeyes posted:

I swear, there has GOT to be a decent GUI for robocopy. Or at least something with a decent gui for drag and dropping. I used to use SuperCopier back in the day before it turned into junkware.

For everyday use, I run TeraCopy because it has the best GUI and general usability of all file-transfer utilities, by far. (The next version is currently in alpha and looks even nicer.)

For Riso's use-case, however, I'd recommend UltraCopier instead (which is actually the successor to SuperCopier - I'm curious about what you mean by "junkware", they're both FOSS projects). It's a little clunkier than TeraCopy, but it has several useful features for large-scale copies. It's what I used only a week ago to copy around 2.5TB of files from my older drives to my new one.

• Locked thread