Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey backup thread, I've been tasked with setting something up for our little office here and I think I've got a decent plan but I didn't know what I was doing before the few hours of research I put in so please tear my idea apart - it can only help.

I have four machines that are using Crash Plan's software to backup automatically to a dedicated harddrive(A) on my workstation. Crash Plan on my workstation will also be backing up to their online solution. Once every two weeks (or month or every week, we haven't decided yet) the owner will bring, from home, an identical harddrive(B) that I will mirror the harddrive(A) backup to which the owner will take back home at the end of the day.

If my thinking is right, this gives me a few points of failure before we can't recover and even if everything fails we can always call them up and have them mail us a physical copy. Am I missing anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
First, thank you so much for the insight, both of your input already helps a lot.

We're a tiny company, like mom and pop with a few hands in the warehouse tiny and it seems to me like setting up RAID and paying for Pro is a bit of overkill in the overhead. There's about a hundred gigs of working files, raw and published media, and OS user configs. The owners wanted to avoid paying 30$/month for just the three vital machines - 50$ for pro is a harder sell. If the higher ups put the kibosh on that idea, is there an alternative I can look into? I have enough savvy to restore each machine myself from the raw files if everything falls apart. Could we use some kind of online large data storage maybe? I know, this plan sounds like a gigantic nightmare if poo poo hits the fan but at least it'd be doable. Sounds like I should do a bit of cost effectiveness to see which would cost less....

About the human element, instead of building a whole new rig to handle cycling drives (our workstations have no expandable room) could I just extend the chain by dumping the contents of drive(B) on a machine at home? The home machine would be out-of-date by up to two weeks if something happens in-transit but at least it's there and barring a freak fire happening at work at the same time we can set up a new drive(B) from the at-work backup. I think that makes sense?

Downtime is not so huge a deal. Yeah we need timeliness, but manufacturing is our deal and we can keep doing business even if it takes a day or two to restore the workstations back to normal.

I'm hope I don't come across as ungrateful, I'm really appreciative of the help so far.

e: Actually, Dimestore if you can I'd love to talk more about this privately. Send me a line to zigmidge at gmail

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 27, 2015

• Locked thread