Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

DrivePool is pretty sweet, but I wouldn't call it a backup solution. It's sort of a weird mix of software RAID and Storage Spaces.

And RAID is not backup!

Had a customer case a year ago where whatever funky drive-spanning thing that DrivePool does was playing hell with one of our products. Caused a lot of files to be backed up twice.

Yeah well I would call it a backup solution. Its about as good as RSYNC anyhow. Logical RAID 1 isn't bad and you can use NTFS previous versions. I mean if we are taking about mission critical poo poo, no it's not good for that but for 20 bux it beats the poo poo out of anything else. The cases where it fails is if you get hit by lightning or someone steals all your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

So you think it's a good solution when it doesn't cover two of the top three reasons for data loss?

It's good software but come on.

I think its a great solution for home users. Top reason for data loss is hard drive crashing, at least around the computers I get to mess with.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, maybe that's the top reason, but it's certainly not the only reason. Fire, theft, and power-related failures are the other primary reasons.

If only one copy of your data exists, it's not backed up. RAID is not a backup solution for this very reason. DrivePool is no different.

All it does is add some redundancy to address one specific potential cause of data loss. Backup is a catch-all for any problem.

Well I do consider it 2 copies even though they are not in a separate box. The drives can be yanked at any time and run through normal NTFS recovery software or any other computer. The entire filesystem is just NTFS after all which makes it far easier to recovery from problems than and RAID type solutions. I mean I get what you are saying but for an average joe that just wants to combine a bunch of different sized hard drives into a pool with redundancy, its great.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I need to finally tackle cloud backups for my 8+TB of files. So far Crash plan has popped up a lot, so I am trying it but the more I read about it the more issues I read about.

Is it the currently the goon 'unlimited' cloud backup choice?

[edit] Just my files, not business.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 26, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thebigcow posted:

Robocopy with whatever settings for retries seems appropriate to you and write a log file so you can see the failures.

I swear, there has GOT to be a decent GUI for robocopy. Or at least something with a decent gui for drag and dropping. I used to use SuperCopier back in the day before it turned into junkware.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark One posted:

Would a My Cloud EX2 be overkill for a seven-person office that generates a lot of PDFs and photos?

I use those a lot in small business situations. They have nice features, real simple to manage. Run a bit hot. I enjoy the USB 3.0 ports which can be used for automatic internal rsync backups from the pool/array to a USB stick. In fact, I rotate a couple 128GB thumb drives and take them off site. Hard to beat for the price.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

What's a good solution for image based backups on a network? Ideally I'd like the client machines to all send an image to a backup server which can store it and also has the ability to upload to the cloud for redundancy. I want to minimize downtime in the event of hardware failure and we use a lot of old lovely software which finding reinstallations for would be cumbersome.

I'm a fan of Macrium Reflect after Acronis kind of started sucking.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If I were you (I migrated from WHS as well). I would build a machine with Windows 7,8, or 10. Then load stablebit drivepool. Bare metal restore needs something like Acronis or Macrium Reflect as well but you can target that at the pool. No dedup but nothing does that that I have used.

Storage Spaces is block level stripped and has many limitations and no real documentation. It sucks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

You'll be able to just use the other drive and keep going, yeah. You can also specify the balancing, I have some types of content on one drive and the rest on another. That makes it easier to know whats missing. If you don't want to do that what I did as a workaround was schedule a batch script in Windows to dump the directory contents of the whole thing, it runs like once a week and gets emailed to me. Just a simple dir /S > dump.txt type script. That way if I lose a drive I can just run a diff on the old contents and if necessary get back whatever was lost.

Great plan actually. And yeah when a drive drops the pool goes into read only mode. Drives are formatted with NTFS as usual and there is just a hidden folder with the pool folders inside it. Super simple to restore from another computer if necessary.
I've set up abround 10 DrivePools and none have lost anything which is pretty nice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

unknown posted:

Haha, 'inherited' another ancient box. Here's a prime example of why raid is good, and why you should have backups.

HP DL380 - so 8 drives, of which 2 are/were hot spares (#7+8). [#8 is so dead it's not in the list]

Somehow still standing after 4 drive failures. It can still last one more!

I'd call that an example of why RAID is bad actually.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

Seagate broke my heart. I think I remember that Toshiba has Hitachi's old tooling, and the value is there at this price.

Pretty sure Western digital bought up HGST.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

huh, thanks for that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

The 8TB and 6TB in that series are SMR drives. The 4TB may also be a SMR drive, not sure.

I have one. Its write performance goes as low as like 30MB/s.. not good. Reads are more normalish. It's a good value for backups but dont even attempt using it for workstation drive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

Macrium Reflect question! We have a small business with 7 workstations (6x Windows 10 & 1x Windows XP, don't ask :smith:). The server is backed up nightly via Acronis. Data that isn't stored on the server gets backed up offsite via Crashplan. I would like to have semi-recent disk images of each workstation to minimize downtime just in case we do get hit by a Cryptolocker.

At the moment I simply shut the machines down, boot a Clonezilla CD and clone images of each PC to a 3,5" HDD. Since some PCs are limited to USB 2.0 this process takes a few hours total so I only do it every 6 months, rotating two 3,5" drives, each then stored offsite at a different location.

Would Macrium Reflect v7 Workstation be a better way of doing this or is it overkill?
If I do set up a little NAS for centralised disk image backups via MSB, how do I keep a cryptolocker from encrypting all the Macrium backups?
Would it be sufficient to firewall the NAS off and only allow access to it for a few hours per week (pretty sure pfsense has a feature for scheduled rules)?

Acronis can create a special partition that isn't windows accessible, then it stores continuous images on that. A good protection from cryptolockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it something simple like backups requires a domain! I'm not yelling at you DP, more yelling at Microsoft for not creating a product for small business. No one wants a loving domain controller to back up 4 PCs!

• Locked thread