Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a recommendation for a backup service, preferably unlimited. I have many many computas but mostly work with 3. I like backblaze but I'm not sure if its worth the cost to scale to ~3 machines. I mostly have photos and video to backup which make up the biggest share. I don't care about full OS/App backups. The rest of my files are small project files. In all right now less than 2T although that could explode to 4T in the next 18 months. Thing is each of my machines has a different purpose so my main photo machine would have all the photos, my laptop would have misc small files and my 2nd desktop might have projects.

Unrelated but I keep reading 'examples' of people storing ripped movies to these services. Why would you do that? Not for legal reasons but a movie to me is easily replaceable data that takes up a lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ConfusedUs posted:

Get a NAS. Back up all of the machines to the NAS.

Get one subscription to one provider of your choice, and back up the NAS to it.

This is what I do.

Ah neato, thanks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So...is there any way to have a backup service run on my NAS as opposed to running on a PC with the NAS mounted?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ConfusedUs posted:

NAS (everything) > Cloud

How are you personally doing this step?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So what did people do before online backup services became mainstream? Backup to external and pray the house doesn't burn down? Keep an external offsite and rotate every so often? Backup to optical media?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Also, do those backup companies ever sell their obsolete drives on the private market? As in, will there all of a sudden be a huge wave of 3TB/4TB used drives on the used market? Or is it mostly trickled through various 3rd parties that you'd never really notice someone dumping 1000s of a particular type of drive on the used market.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I meant home enthusiasts. Or did that crowd use tapes?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
*Not backup related*

I used to use Copy to keep a set of my working project files sync'd across a few systems. What I don't like is that it likes to download everything when I install the client onto a new system. Is there a way to get it to just show some sparse representation of a real file and if I choose to open that file or manually sync then it downloads the latest? If not, is there a service that does? I don't want to download gigs of files in the background only to work on something that might be 10Kb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hmm, haven't used that in even longer. I'll give it a try....again

edit: dropbox and copy seem to behave about the same. You can choose which dirs/files to sync but you can't 'sparse' anything. So the only way to see what you actually have is via the file browser in the app and not anything on disk like a dummy file. It'd be nice to see some more native filesystem integration.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 7, 2015

• Locked thread