Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The biggest breaking point I see in your Dropbox-Mac Mini-Time Machine scenario is that your data storage is in Dropbox, your backup is in the Time Machine and there is a gap between them. Those two can't see each other and you are trying to use the Mac Mini to bridge that gap and relying that everything works with it.

Maybe there is problem with the syncing. Maybe your Dropbox grows so large that the Mac Mini runs out of disk space and it's unable to sync new files from Dropbox. Time Machine won't know that there is some new data that it has newer seen. Or maybe the NAS for Time Machine fails and DropBox keeps happily syncing data to the Mac Mini without knowing that they aren't properly backed up.

In a traditional backup system you would have a server that stores all your data and you would have installed a backup software agent/client on the server. Since the agent is installed on the server you are largely guaranteed that it can access any data that is stored on the server. And since the agent is integral part of the backup system it will directly contact the backup server that will store the backups on tape. The backup system will know if the agent hasn't been able to read some data on the storage server, or the agent and backup server haven't been able to contact each other or the backup server hasn't been able to write backups to the tapes and can alert appropriately.

I can't think how to backup Dropbox to my liking. You can't install the backup agent inside Dropbox. Alternative could be if the backup system had support for Dropbox and could connect to it directly, but I doubt such exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

NihilCredo posted:

What I immediately thought of:

:v:

That's pretty nice solution, you just need to make sure the drive is unmounted before the power is cut. Or as a more advanced solution use a Raspberry Pi controlled power outlet.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

MrCodeDude posted:

CrashPlan runs out in three months and I was wondering if I should switch to SpiderOak (which does file syncing) or Amazon Glacier/Amazon Cloud/Google Drive/etc?

Synology looks to have a Glacier package, which would be great, because then I can backup to the cloud from the NAS, instead of their computers (which they love to turn off at night).

Here's a horror story about recovery from Amazon Glacier.

How I ended up paying $150 for a single 60GB download from Amazon Glacier

• Locked thread