Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

Didn't notice there was a Backup thread, so I had originally posted this in the Ticket Came in thread....

Anyways...

Anyone have any recommendations for a proper and safe way to backup MS SQL databases off-site/to the cloud?

We have 3 Server 2008 R2 SQL databases, about 67GB in size total. Each database sees 2-5GB of changes per day. Right now we take log backups every hour, and a full backup every night that are stored on removable disks (RDX-like disk cartridges). The full .BAK files as generated by SQL Server are 56GB currently.

Where do these log/incremental and full backups get placed?

When we set up our SQL server backups, we found that the best way was for the DBA to setup the backup rotation he/she wanted using SSIS to schedule the jobs, write the files to a network share, and cleanup files older than a day / week / month on whatever schedule he/she wanted. SSIS has a bunch of pre-made templates for doing all of this, and it was easy to setup. The DBA could then select whatever level of coverage he wanted for each database, and restore them from the network share if needed, all without involving anybody else.

On the systems side, I just made sure that backup directory got snapshotted in a schedule that was complimentary to the DBA's chosen schedule (don't snapshot if I know there aren't changes, for instance), and I just added that volume to our software's list of directories to backup.

Yes, this consumes extra disk space, but it doesn't need to be high performance or super reliable disk, and it lets the DBA change things up within boundaries (eg: don't create new backups when the backup to tape is happening at 5am to 8am, and don't create backups when the server is busy) so new backups could be added as needed.

I watched the space consumed on the network share and would sit down with the DBA if I noticed it growing by more than a certain percentage to find out if something had gone wrong or if more space was needed.

This also let us skip paying for MSSQL licenses for our backup software, and it meant we could patch/upgrade both MSSQL or the backup software without worrying about compatibility issues.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread