Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm retiring my 6 year old RAID. Walmart has a 6TB Toshiba drive for $169 online, Microcenter price matched it.

I'm on the fence between Google and Amazon for cloud backup. I know Microsoft's integrates with Windows really well, but they charge a bit more.

Good point about the crypto viruses.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I recently bought two 5tb external Seagate drives, and ripped one of the hdds out and put it in the tower to replace my failing drives. They were $115 a piece :getin:

Seagate broke my heart. I think I remember that Toshiba has Hitachi's old tooling, and the value is there at this price.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

redeyes posted:

Pretty sure Western digital bought up HGST.

Sorta unless something has changed https://hardforum.com/threads/are-todays-hitachi-3-5-wd-or-toshiba.1820956/

quote:

Western Digital will be allowed to acquire Hitachi’s 2.5” and SSD businesses, but not the 3.5” business. Instead Western Digital will be selling that business to Toshiba – factories and all – along with granting licenses for the necessary patents, which would allow Toshiba to effectively continue in the 3.5” market from where Hitachi left off. This would firmly establish Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba as the 3 major players in the hard drive business across all product segments.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How does Crashplan compare to using Amazon cloud drive or Google/Microsoft/Dropbox for personal data backup? Trying to figure out what to do with my old photos/documents/etc.

Or are sdcards and thumb drives stable and cheap enough that I just leave a copy there and leave a copy on my pc?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't imagine any of my things would have versions. This would be static items like photos, home videos, and maybe tax documents. Just personal things that I don't want to lose.

I think a cloud drive seems easiest, but what happens if you get some kind of ransomware? Granted, I've been operating computers for over 20 years without a virus scanner and without getting a virus I haven't inflicted on myself (oh the russian warez of my youth). Does your cloud get encrypted?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why do I want to manage Duplicati and a cloud service (B2/Amazon/etc) versus just paying $50 a year for regular Backblaze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have ~500gb on Windows and I don't want to manage anything, but I also don't like that Backblaze backs up everything and makes me blacklist folders I don't want. I'd rather just choose the three folders I do want and never have to touch anything again.

• Locked thread