Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bit lower-level than most of the backup talk in here, but I need to give advice to a home business about backing up and the problem is the desire for local (to an external) daily backing up of enormous (50GB) goddamn PST files that are kept open basically all day (and even a shadow copy might not be counted on, since outlook might merrily send/receive halfway through a copy). Any suggestions besides forcing them to get into the habit of shutting outlook down and manually running a backup script?

There seems to be a variety of no-name commercial software out there that claims to handle it that I have no idea about from sites I don't trust to recommend things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Saukkis posted:

That's pretty nice solution, you just need to make sure the drive is unmounted before the power is cut.

I wonder if you can get PSUs that have like 5 seconds of battery and can send an emergency unmount signal. For much cheaper than a UPS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How viable would FastGlacier be as a cheap backup solution for my parents and the family photo album folders they keep?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Furism posted:

OneDrive/Dropbox is not really backup. It's synchronization. There are some features close to backup (versioning etc) but it's not proper backup.

Well, they can be used as backup targets by things like Duplicati; is that what he meant?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm gonna get duplicati going on my parent's 150 gig D:\Photos folder already, what's the best and simplest and cheap target cloud service that'll probably still be in existence in 20 years.

Also, we have poo poo for upload, I assume I can set duplicati to just drip it up between the hours of 2 and 8 am.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd rather it be a file service so we can expand to other folders we want to back up and archive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it smart enough not to fully reupload if you just move them around between folders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So should I be downloading the Duplicati 2 Beta, as opposed to the 1.3?

• Locked thread