Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I really dislike Crashplan, numerous times I've encountered sync problems between clients due to version differences resulting from fubar'd upgrades. Becomes an absolute nightmare to troubleshoot, often requiring multiple reinstalls to sync everything back up. This is a problem with auto-update on their end and it continues to surface every now and then, I've seen it happen to a number of clients over the years. They don't seem to bother with official packages for various NAS distros too and the user ones are often broken by changes. The backup inheritance is also confusing for users and I've had a few clients accidentally kill their archive set because of a stupid pop up related to it, often precipitated by a client version mismatch and some other nonsense.

That said I've yet to find anything better for end users but if anyone has a recommendation I would love to check out an alternative.

edit: wow that was typed like poo poo, corrected some language.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

All of the consumer-level backup applications are more or less the same. Each has its own quirks, limitations, and drawbacks. They all have mostly the same result, and even act mostly the same on the backend. This includes Carbonite, Crashplan, and Backblaze.

So try one of the others and see what you think. Crashplan tends to freak out if your data size is large (over 2TB you're more or less guaranteed to have issues). Carbonite hates large file counts (several million) but size doesn't matter much. I'm not as familiar with Backblaze.

They all cost about the same and all have free trials, so give them a shot and see which works for you. Crashplan is my favorite of the three, but YMMV. Carbonite's support is way better than Crashplan's but their client lacks some of the features.

This is assuming you mean Windows; it's really hard to beat Time Machine for macs. Just do a TM backup and upload that stuff to Glacier or something if you have a Mac.

Tell me about it, my girlfriend has a Mac and Time Machine is a loving godsend. I don't know how backup is still so terrible with Windows after decades of development, its such a basic need and Windows users especially (malware, etc) would've benefited the most from a decent backup solution. I will give Backblaze a shot I guess and see how it goes.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really wouldn't recommend Acronis Trueimage, that product seems to get shittier with every iteration. It's another one where I've had it fail in the worst way when I needed it the most and support from them was loving useless.

I've had better luck with Macrium Reflect but frankly neither one is perfect. Backup on Windows really sucks, I just want a Time Machine clone.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fourteen posted:

For image-based Windows backups, I've been using ShadowProtect Desktop for a few years, and so far it's worked great. It's not the cheapest, but it's better than Acronis (IMHO).

http://www.shadowprotect.com/backup-software/shadowprotect-desktop

I schedule a weekly image of my Windows drive using ShadowProtect, along with using SyncBackSE to backup other random things on other internal drives (my MP3 collection, etc). All of that goes on an external USB drive. I have 2 of those drives, and I just swap one for the other every 3 weeks or so at my parents' house. I also use CrashPlan for My Documents and small-ish files (I think I've got maybe 200GB in CrashPlan), and for the large files (movie collection, for instance) I use SyncBack to back that up to my NAS.

Have you tested restoration? I can find tons of image based backup stuff for Windows that will make an image, very few that will actually restore that image successfully without one problem or another.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Are you referring to patters' Crashplan package? If so, have you been having issues with it lately? It looks like Code42 updated something or other with the Crashplan client, and now people are having problems getting the client to work on their Synology NAS.

It's a constant tug of war updating that thing all the time. Synology breaks it through some update, you have to go to the retarded Oracle Java site and download the exact piece of crap you need for it which also requires a stupid login. Then you have to hope and pray it works after you're all done or you'll be forced to troll blog comment sections for a fix. It is not worth it at all in my opinion, I ended up just using a different workaround so that Crashplan treated it like another drive.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's a good solution for image based backups on a network? Ideally I'd like the client machines to all send an image to a backup server which can store it and also has the ability to upload to the cloud for redundancy. I want to minimize downtime in the event of hardware failure and we use a lot of old lovely software which finding reinstallations for would be cumbersome.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You'll be able to just use the other drive and keep going, yeah. You can also specify the balancing, I have some types of content on one drive and the rest on another. That makes it easier to know whats missing. If you don't want to do that what I did as a workaround was schedule a batch script in Windows to dump the directory contents of the whole thing, it runs like once a week and gets emailed to me. Just a simple dir /S > dump.txt type script. That way if I lose a drive I can just run a diff on the old contents and if necessary get back whatever was lost.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

MeKeV posted:

Anyone used altdrive as an alternative to crashplan? The website and client look old, but the blurb sounds fine.

I too am finding crashplan upload slow, UK.

E: Just had a look at the trial and it seems slower than Crashplan.

I downloaded it to see. They have typos on a bunch of their web pages and just a very hodgepodge feel to the client. Not exactly instilling confidence in them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I just came to post that. Not sure who to transition to. I like Crashplan's ability to backup both online and to externals/NAS at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Veeam Endpoint Backup and Macrium are solid. I do images with Veeam, backed up to Crashplan both locally and the cloud. I've tested multiple restorations with Veeam and so far so good. I haven't used duplicati yet.

• Locked thread