Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is it possible to restore transaction logs on top of a SQL backup made with VSS? As far as I can tell, VSS backups (or maybe just these VSS backups) are only the DB and log files, so I can mount the databases from the restore, but can't restore anything on top of them since they won't be in norecovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Flipperwaldt posted:

OneDrive (and I'm guessing DropBox) in particular do not keep previous versions and sync in real time. Which means if you corrupt a file locally, that file will instantly be mirrored in the cloud with no way to recover a good version. You're somewhat protected from a device or drive instantly dying, but that's it. No protection against crypto-poo poo, no protection against user error, no protection against a slowly dying drive or faulty ram.

From what I'm reading Spideroak does keep a file history, so it can probably qualify properly as a backup.

Dropbox does have previous versions (30 days by default, you can purchase one year as an addon).

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

RusteJuxx posted:

Over in the Mac Software thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=632#post451868347 ) Arq - https://www.arqbackup.com - was mentioned. The software allows backup to Google Drive and AWS among other things. The few reviews I read make it sound good and it appears to have extremely robust features. It's also pretty cheap when you're just using their product to interface with your own storage.
This + Amazon Cloud Drive ($60 / year for 'unlimited' storage) seems like a solid deal for home users, if the software works well and Amazon doesn't get mad at you for using it in that way. I'm going to sign up for the trial tonight.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Furcifer posted:

Hey guys. I've been skimming the past few posts for answers, but I'm not sure my needs are as extensive as everyone else's. I just want to back up a few gigs of family photos and documents. Annual file generation probably wouldn't exceed 2GB/year. Not looking for cloud backup, but would like some advice and suggestions. Current backup scheme includes having windows backup to a different drive on the same laptop, and annual backups of pictures onto DVD.

My DVD drive finally died, and its relatively cumbersome to retrieve the data off of DVD's nowadays, so I was wondering what I should be doing instead. Looking for a good balance of value and reliability.

These DROBO machines and cloud storage options seem a little excessive to me, but maybe I'm missing something. I was thinking of purchasing a couple of USB powered external HDD's. Thoughts?
Cloud is good because it's offsite (so a fire or flood doesn't lose everything for you), it's easy, and it's gonna be really cheap for the amount (and type) of data you're doing. If you're fundamentally opposed to that, rotating HDD's in and out of a safe deposit box or another secure location works, but you've gotta do it, and you have to worry about drive failure and all that.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Just don't keep the external drives in the same physical location as your computer which is a thing lots of people seem to do for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Look at Crashplan

• Locked thread