Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alo
May 1, 2005

Do you have lots of data and lots of free time? Tape may be in your future.

No seriously, I did this and it actually worked out pretty well. I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone is seriously considering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alo
May 1, 2005

What's really cheap?

I'm on LTO-3 since it's less than 100 dollars per drive (I also have an autoloader sitting around, also cheap). I figure that once LTO-5 prices come down on the used market, I'll transition from 3 to 5 (since it's 2 generations newer).

I'm also running OmniOS, but with fewer drives and VMware instead of hyper-v. My backup software is Bareos (bacula fork). I do daily backups of my local and remote machines, then dump them to tape monthly. Media and everything else gets written to tape whenever.

In addition to tape, I have some really irreplaceable data mirrored at a remote site (zfs snapshots) and an extra copy that I update yearly in a safe.

Definitely not bullet-proof, but my data doesn't rely on 3rd party services and it's in enough locations.

alo
May 1, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I meant home enthusiasts. Or did that crowd use tapes?

There were consumer-level (IDE) tape drives. Although in the 90's, most people still stored their "work" in physical mediums (film negatives, physical file cabinets full of papers, music on tapes -- sometimes DAT). Everything else fit nicely on floppy disks.

Windows backup supported tape until recently. There were also CD burners at the end of the 90's. Oh and zip disks...

• Locked thread