Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artine
Jun 29, 2005
I've been given a somewhat odd backup task that I would love to get some suggestions on.

One of my colleagues wants to periodically mirror roughly 30TB of data from one of our institutional network shares onto a pair of Drobos he has in his office. Both Drobos are configured with 8 4TB drives, giving each device ~22TB usable for storage exposed as a pair of NTFS-formatted "16" TB volumes for a total of 4 volumes with ~11TB (usable) each.

Since the total size of the source data to be mirrored exceeds the size of any single Drobo volume, my colleague's objective is to have a tool that will automatically distribute the source data across the four target volumes. (Of course, since optimal bin packing is NP-hard, he's not expecting a perfectly even distribution, he just doesn't want to have to manually partition the data.)

The core of this objective could be satisfied by a fairly simple script backed by du and rsync. However, the data on the network share changes at a rate of ~500GB/week, so it's unlikely that the "ideal" distribution calculated during the first sync will remain ideal, so the script would also have to be capable of rebalancing, which adds a layer of complexity that, while not intractable, I'd rather avoid.

So my question is: does there already exist software that addresses this need?

We're open to solutions coming in the form of anything from an already-existing script describing the above to a full-fledged backup system to a method for simply exposing the four Drobo volumes as a single large volume. Free would be ideal, but we'd rather pay for a good solution that "just works" than spend lots of time on even a great solution.

A couple of other notes that may be relevant:
  • This is not the primary backup of the content on the network share. He just wants, for various reasons, to have an extra copy of the data on storage he controls.
  • There's no need to retain previous versions: this is just a mirroring operation.
  • He'd ideally like for the data stored on the Drobos to be compressed. (Per-file gzip compression is perfectly adequate.)

I appreciate any suggestions anyone can provide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artine
Jun 29, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

It sounds like there isn't going to be a clean and easy way for my colleague to get precisely what he wants using only the hardware resources already available to him. I think at this point that the path of least resistance will be to statically assign specific source directories to be mirrored to a specific destination volume, per ConfusedUs' recommendation.

thebigcow posted:

A mountain of symlinks maintained by a million lines of shell script to make it all seamless.

Haha, yeah, I had that same thought for about 5 seconds before snapping back to my senses!

• Locked thread