Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

stevewm posted:

I kinda figured it that, but really couldn't find much to support it. I am not a DBA by any means. Just the lowly computer janitor responsible for making sure it gets backed up.

I'll look into it definitely. Was already looking at Carbonite anyways to backup workstations at some of our branch locations...

Hmm... well crap. I definitely want to continue to do the local physical backup. But add the online backup as a backup to the backup...

You can set either the application or the local backup to do copy-only backups, which will prevent the log truncation that breaks the backup chain. I can ramble on more about this if you want.

I have set this up in a few different places, using both EMC Avamar and Symantec (now Veritas again) Netbackup. Usually the onsite folks want to have a faster point of recovery, so they have hourly transaction logs or whatever they need. Then I have a backup application do a weekly full/daily incremental backup to my offsite backup system.

Avamar in particular is pretty good on the bandwidth. It's prohibitively expensive if you're not already using it for all of your other backups.

I've never used backup exec (outside of random demos at conventions) but DrBouvenstein's issue seems mind bogglingly awful. I don't think this is related specifically to DD, though. (Also, why the hell are we forcing storage appliances to be virtual tape libraries in 2015?) You shouldn't need free storage to hydrate out an entire VMDK just to restore a single file.

All I do are backups. All day everyday. I administer the backups for ~50k servers and ~20k laptops. We primarily use netbackup, with a few random IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, Commvault, and EMC Avamar environments. Most of the laptops are going through HP Connected Backup, which is absolute garbage. Working on replacing that with crashplan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread