Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
At work we need to revamp our corporate filing. We currently use Sharepoint as advised (and hosted) by our external IT consultancy, but Sharepoint sucks anus at every opportunity.

I wanted to move to DropBox for business, but was warned by an engineer from the IT company that we wouldn't have control of our own backups and that he would advise against any change that took that control away from us.

My thought was can we have a system like DropBox doing its syncing thing, and have that data backed up from one of our endpoints to a non-DropBox connected device. I was thinking that if we had a Mac Mini or something sitting in our data cabinet that syncs with our entire DropBox, it could then be backing up to a NAS using Time Machine. That NAS could then back up to a cloud service for truly oh-poo poo situations. (I only mention the Mac Mini because we have a couple unused at the moment following our office move this year and new devices replacing their old functions - could very well switch to something else if required.)

So I've been reading this thread and it seems like there is a similarity between my thinking and some of the suggestions people have been discussing. I guess I have three specific questions relating to my suggested setup:

1. Is there any reason why you can't backup the locally stored files in a DropBox folder on a given endpoint to eg. Time Machine?

2. The comment made upthread about Time Machine gave me pause - it seems like generally people are quite positive about it. Can anyone give me an impartial viewpoint on the suitability of Time Machine?

3. Given the danger of immediate syncing of eg. corrupted or crypto-locked files using DropBox, would scheduled backups to a NAS be enough to protect against this? We have way more space on our NAS currently than our total Sharepoint volume so should be able to keep a good history.

0. Finally, is this a crazy idea for some other reason not covered in my questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ok, great, thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure I've understood the situation. If we used DropBox for business, would I be able to have the data all stored centrally on a server?

Basically I want the DropBox functionality for shared storage, collaboration on files and so on. So I need to set up a system that can back that up rather than relying on DB to backup everything themselves. Happy to look into whatever business class options exist within that space.

I just want to shitcan our Sharepoint as soon as possible. Is that really too much to ask?! :argh:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Our sharepoint is already backed up (although not in house - not sure what system the IT guys use) but everybody bar none in my company hates Sharepoint beyond any measure of reason.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That's what I wanted Dropbox for... the main things we actually want from Sharepoint are storage and document collaboration. It does the both pretty poorly. It appears Dropbox does better.

I'm asking the question in this thread because I wanted to know if I could back up the data in Dropbox to another location.

Edit: mentioning Sharepoint may have confused the issue - my question isn't really about that.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks. Your point earlier about there probably being something else out there that joins the dots in a more sensible way has made me want to review my options, but it's good to know my original thinking is possible.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Good to know, thanks. I will keep looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hmm. Well this is interesting. Thanks.

• Locked thread