Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have a fairly good backup process I think. Most of my files are kept in Sync with a ZFS NAS using SyncThing (that's mostly for synchronizing but it does have a little bit of a "safety net" component). I also have an external drive I rsync my important folders to whenever I think of it (I rsync from Windows so I can't cron this). I also have a '"cold storage" encrypted drive that is always off except for my weekly backup. I actually have two of those, one at my desk (turned off) and another one at a friend's. Now I'd like to also backup online because I'm paranoid.

I read the news about CrashPlan, which sucks because it sounded like the best option. Carbonite client sucks in my opinion. I hate that you can't just click the directories you want to back up, you have to go ahead and do it from Windows Explorer. Also you can't seem to overwrite the file types they'll back up. It decided to backup only the images from my Music directory for instance (not the FLAC/MP3 files themselves. What the gently caress?).

What I'm looking for is a backup Windows client with pretty much the same feature set as CrashPlan's, except being able to target an AWS S3 bucket or some other reasonably priced cloud storage (I have nothing against Google or Microsoft or OVH or anyone really) as long as I can have them encrypt the bucket. I'm okay to pay for the software on top of the cloud fees. Bonus if I can provide my own certificate to encrypt locally before uploading. Does the software of my dream exist?

E: Something like https://www.cloudberrylab.com/backup/windows/amazon-s3.aspx but with Goon recommendation.

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I have tried a bunch of "backup to S3" software but I can't find any that I like.

- Cloud Berry is very good but the GUI is awful - looks like Office 2014 / Windows Vista. Also there's no "send to tray" action that I could find, if you close the GUI then it stops the backup (or you just can't see the progress, I'm not sure). But for $30 it seemed like the best option. I especially liked that you can target local and remote targets in the same backup plan.
- Arq UX is awful and it's $50.
- Duplicati (2.0 beta) had a bunch of bugs, not really a smooth experience
- S3 Backup looked like a good candidate but for some reason it can't authenticate (it can still list my buckets though) because of an issue with the Cipher Suite: https://imgur.com/a/ETgZr

I think now I'll give Jungle Disk a go (but $4/month/user seems too much - I prefer to pay a one-off fee - but if their service is really good I might do it). There's also apparently a CLI Go client that's supposed to be great: https://restic.github.io/ ; but I'll have to check how to create Scheduled Tasks in Windows to run this regularly.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I used it but stopped for the simple reason that for backing up 500 GB it required 1TB+ of storage and I didn't have a drive larger than 1TB. I personally don't need versioning of files but even by disabling it it ate too much space. The eject after backup (CryptoLocker protection) was a very neat idea, I found. Thing is it's not able to re-mount the drive automatically though (I guess that's normal, otherwise a malware could do the same I suppose) so if you do that you can't really schedule backups otherwise they'll fail.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sheep posted:

Tried rclone? I guess if "has a GUI" is a requirement this is out though.

GUI was a requirement mostly for scheduling purposes but I gave up on that. I tried a lot of software and none perform to my expectations (basically CrashPlan was perfect).

Instead I moved to Restic. It's amazing. It's so good I wrote an article about it: https://synsynack.wordpress.com/2017/08/24/restic-is-probably-the-best-backup-solution-for-nerds/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
OneDrive/Dropbox is not really backup. It's synchronization. There are some features close to backup (versioning etc) but it's not proper backup.

CrashPlan is more like backup because you can schedule them, target different locations and, most importantly, will encrypt your data even before it's transferred. This is key when saving into the cloud because "the cloud" is just another person's drive and they can look into it if they so choose (Amazon et al. only swear they'll never do it, it's up to you to decide whether or not you trust them on this). Maybe you simply don't care, that's up to you.

Also, backup software have "restore" capabilities and can backup several locations. Dropbox and OneDrive will sync only whatever you put into their root directory (and I honestly can't understand that, there's no technical reason I can think of for this).

SD Cards, SSDs or Thumb Drive are not reliable at all - quite the contrary. They have a shorter median time to failure but higher performance.

If you want a cheap solution I would suggest this: get an external HDD. Plug it once a month. Use restic or some other software to backup your files to that drive. Once it's done, turn it off and leave it at a friend's or at work (so if you home burns down, you still have your files. Trust me you'll regret it if you don't do it).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

ConfusedUs posted:

The reason isn't technical. It's money.

If you allow ad hoc selection of directories, you drastically increase the number of files stored in the service.

Yeah ok, but you get like 10 GB free and when you pay you get 10 TB. Are you saying they put that restriction in place to make it harder for people to use up all of their (free or paid-for) storage space unless they move it to a place potentially inconvenient (the root folder of the application) ?

The only thing it did for me was to stop my Office 365 subscription. I don't know if I'm average but they make less money because of this policy.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FogHelmut posted:

I can't imagine any of my things would have versions. This would be static items like photos, home videos, and maybe tax documents. Just personal things that I don't want to lose.

I think a cloud drive seems easiest, but what happens if you get some kind of ransomware? Granted, I've been operating computers for over 20 years without a virus scanner and without getting a virus I haven't inflicted on myself (oh the russian warez of my youth). Does your cloud get encrypted?

You probably want versioning in case you're hit by a ransomware. You cannot possibly guarantee you'll never be hit by one. If you're using an "on-demand" software and you're hit by a ransomware, just hit "restore" and you're done. If you have a scheduled task it's _possible_ that the encrypted files were backed up - no problem, just restore from a previous snapshot.

Furism fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MikeJF posted:

Well, they can be used as backup targets by things like Duplicati; is that what he meant?

Could be. I assumed he meant the regular OneDrive/DropBox/Google Drive client ; not backup clients that use OneDrive/DropBox as remote repos. I guess in that context that'd work fine but as far as I can tell it'd be cheaper to set up a S3 or BackBlaze because they bill by the GB. OneDrive is 9.99 for Office + Skype + 1 TB storage, no granularity. For my 400 GB BackBlaze is like $2/month.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DJ Burette posted:

This seems to be a royal pain in the rear end if not all your computers are on the same network though. I seriously wish that crashplan had just put a hard limit on the total size of your backup on the family or single plan, or just jacked up the price *2. There really doesn't appear to be anything that fills the same niche at all out there currently.

You can use SyncThing to synchronize files to one computer, even if they are not on the same network (it goes over Internet but everything is end-to-end encrypted). Then backup from that computer.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's the general consensus regarding Drobo's BeyondRaid? The tldr of it is that it's basically RAID5 but if you have a drive larger than the others, you'll still benefit from the extra space (minus some of parity I reckon). Additionally, is there a similar, non-proprietary, Linux-available technology?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

eames posted:

I set up Veeam Free Endpoint on one workstation today. The setup for multiple rotated USB drives is very simple.
The only thin I miss is the ability to add multiple backup jobs, i.e. backups to USB on every device connect and daily scheduled backups to NAS. Probably a limitation of the free version but two rotated USB sticks plus Crashplan until it expires are good enough for now.

I ran into a dumb problem with Veeam. It wouldn't grab my mp3 or flac (or anything besides jpeg and png) files for backup. I couldn't find a setting that changed that behaviour. :shrug:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Somebody read their Terms & Conditions/EULA? Pretty sure they're going to look at the files metadata for their usual marketing purposes. Microsoft already does this with Office 365 to sell you later on "business intelligence."

Note I'm not saying whether or not it's true or false or good or bad, just that people should make sure what Google is going to do with their files.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
There's nothing today on the market similar to what CrashPlan Home used to offer. Probably because it was too cheap and some people were abusing that, I don't know. But there's no direct equivalent. People here tend to go with duplicity/restic against a BackBlaze B2 online storage, but that's more involved than a "it just works" software. I think the closest you'll get is CloudBerry Backup (https://www.cloudberrylab.com/), it's a one-off purchase, and then add a subscription to whatever cloud provider on top of that (for reference, my 400 GB of backup costs me less than $2/month.

Carbonite is poo poo.You can't specify which files you want to backup. They have their own list of acceptable formats (apparently mp3 and flac are not on it) and won't upload anything else outside of that list, even if you tell it to.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
People you must understand there's a difference between BackBlaze and BackBlaze B2. B2 is an online storage service, much like Amazon Glacier. You use that service with a third-party software like duplicity, restic or CloudBerry Backup. You pay only for the storage and some actions (reading, writing, etc). The cost is about $0.005 per GB per month (at rest ; that is, transferring the files will cost you a little bit so the first month might be a bit more expensive. They have a calculator online).

They also have a backup software, which uses B2 in the background, but that is a different product.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Twobirds posted:

My wife and I have dumped our important stuff on a NAS and that's pretty much all I'd like to back up. Given how most places don't want to deal with a NAS at all, I was looking at Spideroak. $99 for 250Gb. Do folks think it's overpriced for what it is?

Uh, yeah. Buy a software that allows you to backup to _any_ online service (CloudBerry is fine for that ; it's free if you don't want compression and encryption - but you do want that, so get the pro version at just $29), backup to B2 or AWS Glacier, and it'll cost you much, much less than $99 per year.

I ran the simulator for you:

($29 + $15) < $99 so I'd use that. Note I do not work for BackBlaze, I just like their service.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

skooma512 posted:

I want something with versioning, Linux client, multiple PCs, at a price around what crashplan offers. Since B2 doesn’t seem to care where the data comes from I’m set. The way I use crashplan now is basically like this anyway, I upload it and it sits there until my HD dies.

B2 for sure doesn't care where the files come from. It's just a bunch of blobs for them. It's more the software you use to interact with B2 that you should pick carefully. Duplicati probably supports backup/restoring from different systems (I don't know, I use something else that does) though.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Skarsnik posted:

Backblaze B2, you'll be paying pennies each month for that amount

And yes, you can limit when duplicati uploads

Duplicati has a default setting of keeping like 10 versions of the files, I felt that was overkill and set it down to 3. Not sure if that was wise or not.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Could as easily be your ISP's network being overloaded at these times - they look like typical peak usage times. And you can't compare that to other services like Steam or Netflix because carriers typically have peering agreements with these large services where they can just shove a 40 or 100 Gbps link directly connected to each others backbone. But for smaller services where you just go through a couple of carrier networks you might hit a bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FogHelmut posted:

I have ~500gb on Windows and I don't want to manage anything, but I also don't like that Backblaze backs up everything and makes me blacklist folders I don't want. I'd rather just choose the three folders I do want and never have to touch anything again.

Isn't that what Duplicati does? Once you set it up with B2 you don't have to "Manage" it either do you?

• Locked thread