Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Harmony of Dissonance was, and still is, underrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I think they put the seals in because DoS was an early DS game and I think Nintendo was putting pressure on people to use the touch screen as much as possible, even forcing it into games that don't really fit.

I don't mind the seals as much as rubbing the poo poo out of the screen to remove ice blocks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm playing SOTN for the first time after playing all the other Metroidvanias

It's good. Wish they ever looked this good again

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i liked circle of the moon on the gba. game is rock hard but awesome. also curse of darkness was a really fuckn good 3d castlevania and lament of innocence was pretty ok too. i'm pretty sure harmony of despair is garbage but i like it anyway

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm playing SOTN for the first time after playing all the other Metroidvanias

It's good. Wish they ever looked this good again

i know what u mean but they still look good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
portait of ruin is epic looking... at least .. the tiny bit of it i got to play is.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I.N.R.I posted:

portait of ruin is epic looking... at least .. the tiny bit of it i got to play is.

Probably my favorite one. I love being able to clear rooms with OP as poo poo magic, and the tag mechanics are really fun. Also best voice acting since SotN.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a good series.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Velthice posted:

i liked circle of the moon on the gba. game is rock hard but awesome. also curse of darkness was a really fuckn good 3d castlevania and lament of innocence was pretty ok too. i'm pretty sure harmony of despair is garbage but i like it anyway

Didn't circle of the moon have the dragon zombies boss? I remember getting really frustrated with them

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

People always say OoE and CotM are the hardest but I've never played CotM. OoE is my favorite game ever so I think it might be time to play CotM.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Didn't circle of the moon have the dragon zombies boss? I remember getting really frustrated with them

yup, that's cotm

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm playing CotM now and it is definitely my kind of game. I'll never understand why they removed running as a basic ability, legit platforming and enemies that actually deal a decent amount of damage from castlevania games after this one.

Dec 26, 2012

i never played cotm, what does it play most like

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I thought it would be super slow but it's not because they give you a run button 5 minutes into the game. I don't really know what game I'd compare it to yet.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

wtf this game has walljumping why did I never play this

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i haven't played a lot of the older games, but i haven't played any other castlevania like it. it's probably the most methodical metroidvania and you have to be pretty in control of your character and aware of what enemies are doing if you don't want to die all the time forever

Dec 26, 2012

that sounds extremely good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Another thing later Castlevania games took out for no reason: a continue button after dying. This goat boss is cool and also really hard.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Circle of the Moon had one of the more interesting bosses

Castlevania III is cool since you get to pick your BFF

I usually pick the wizard, but the pirate and Alucard are cool too.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

wtf this game has walljumping why did I never play this

because you're an idiot. COTM owns. i beat every mode.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have that GBA castlevania two pack that came with the first two GBA games on it.

I bought it when it was 10 dollars and I looked at the price now. :stare:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

i'm going to play every mode.

how many modes.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

i'm going to play every mode.

how many modes.

you unlock them in order. beating one mode unlocks the next one.

it goes vampirekiller-->magician-->fighter-->shooter-->thief

vampirekiller is the normal mode. magician gives you really high magic and all the dss cards but super lovely defense and strength. fighter gives you really high strength and defense but you cant use magic. shooter gives you a ton of hearts for subweapons but you're super weak and fragile. thief gives you crazy luck so items drop like crazy but you're really weak and fragile there otherwise.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
5 including the base vanilla mode. when you clear the first time it'll give you a password that alters your stats a lot to change the playstyle. like there's a mode where subweapons do crazy damage and you have a crazy amount of hearts (and you get a unique subweapon)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

okay, im really fcking stuck in harmony of dissonance. i got the crushing stone, double jump, and slide. ive tried going everywhere and i keep running into walls and locked doors and poo poo. where the gently caress do i go? what am i missing?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
fighter is my personal fav because it means i actually have a chance to beat the hidden arena

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So that's why there are so many save files. I think this is going to end up being my second favorite castlevania game.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

AHungryRobot posted:

you unlock them in order. beating one mode unlocks the next one.

it goes vampirekiller-->magician-->fighter-->shooter-->thief

vampirekiller is the normal mode. magician gives you really high magic and all the dss cards but super lovely defense and strength. fighter gives you really high strength and defense but you cant use magic. shooter gives you a ton of hearts for subweapons but you're super weak and fragile. thief gives you crazy luck so items drop like crazy but you're really weak and fragile there otherwise.

Wasn't one of them Archer? Where you only could get the knife but it was a noclipping homing knife.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that's the shooter mode

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

every guide ive found on harmony is incredibly vague. the best help ive had are these maps that show where everything is but then i find out in-game im missing something or there's a door/wall where the maps say it should be open. the gently caress

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
maybe try and look up a video guide? i know it's kinda lame but sometimes it's something really obtuse or really out of the way. i don't have any experience with the game though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Velthice posted:

maybe try and look up a video guide? i know it's kinda lame but sometimes it's something really obtuse or really out of the way. i don't have any experience with the game though

it is awful and im about to quit because every time i find a new important item the game expects you to just magically know where to go even though the level design is loving terrible

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What was the last important thing you got?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Holy loving poo poo CotM owns. I killed death and made my way to the water area where ice knights knock off half my health in 1 hit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Phantasium posted:

What was the last important thing you got?

crushing stone. ive gotten some nice armor and ridiculous spells but i cant find the rock wall i need to knock over for actual progress

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Why did they stop making these games? I want to run around in draculas castle in 3d.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

qnqnx posted:

Harmony of Dissonance was, and still is, underrated

dash right as you land from a jump attack, then cancel the dash with an attack, cancel that attack with a dash, attack. juste got sick combos

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AHungryRobot posted:

Me too back in the day. I went back to it recently and the spell balance is so poo poo lol they just wanted 100 spells

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

crushing stone. ive gotten some nice armor and ridiculous spells but i cant find the rock wall i need to knock over for actual progress

Have you gone to the Sky Walkway in Castle B? If you have, have you fought Shadow yet?

Frank Eufemia posted:

Why did they stop making these games? I want to run around in draculas castle in 3d.

Despite being fun as poo poo they were never very popular and now the head guy who made them doesn't work at Konami anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Scotty_Vicks posted:

dash right as you land from a jump attack, then cancel the dash with an attack, cancel that attack with a dash, attack. juste got sick combos

Using pistol in Dawn of Sorrow you could do shoot, land, shoot, backdash, shoot, Power shot which shoots 3 times

• Locked thread