Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
do u think therell be a 3ds castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Have you gone to the Sky Walkway in Castle B? If you have, have you fought Shadow yet?

i think i went there and there was a green locked door i couldnt get past

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

do u think therell be a 3ds castlevania

Never. They will never make a 3ds castlevania. Too bad they never made and released one for the 3ds.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Btw sotn is super easy to get lost in every time I get a key item I wander around the entire castle again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Never. They will never make a 3ds castlevania. Too bad they never made and released one for the 3ds.

i mean insetado f the one thats on all the other other consoles obv -_-.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

found a boss fight in hod, behind a rock wall. there was a cutscene with text and stuff so it was an important fight, i killed it and got nothing. looked up a guide. from there you have to go aaalll the way back to this other castle warp point, then come all the way to the same room in the alt castle for a cutscene where you get the next major item

i just deleted the rom

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

backtracking in castlevania? exploration?!!?!?!?!!?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

backtracking in castlevania? exploration?!!?!?!?!!?

being forced to navigate half the entire castle 4 times for dumb story bullshit is terrible, as well as being lost all the time with a bad map

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

being forced to navigate half the entire castle 4 times for dumb story bullshit is terrible, as well as being lost all the time with a bad map

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

drat, Hugh Baldwin is hard and the area to get to him is tough as well.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm playing CotM now and it is definitely my kind of game. I'll never understand why they removed running as a basic ability, legit platforming and enemies that actually deal a decent amount of damage from castlevania games after this one.

Newgame+ isn't anything crazy but it does have some cool things that change gameplay up. The only thing I think is bad about cotm is the DSS cards are dumb. OoE had the training hall which was sort of platforming.

imo it is extremely messed up that lords of shadow 2 exists.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 7, 2015

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LoS2 isn't as bad as everyone says it is...

however you could excise everything that happens in the modern day and it would be infinitely better.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Eagle posted:

drat, Hugh Baldwin is hard and the area to get to him is tough as well.

hugh isn't that bad but he has a ton of things he can do you have to be ready for. i think the worst part is that if you mess up the save point is forever away and dark armors are really good at punching your face in

Rude Lion Guns
May 7, 2008
CotM owns and never really gets the credit it deserves but i'm p sure people ignored it when it came out because it was legit impossible to play on the regular, unlit gba due to how dark the color palette is

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Velthice posted:

hugh isn't that bad but he has a ton of things he can do you have to be ready for. i think the worst part is that if you mess up the save point is forever away and dark armors are really good at punching your face in

yeah I beat him, up to dracula now but I've been playing mon hun. the DSS combo that gives you str relative to castle exploration % is real good.

Dec 26, 2012

Rude Lion Guns posted:

CotM owns and never really gets the credit it deserves but i'm p sure people ignored it when it came out because it was legit impossible to play on the regular, unlit gba due to how dark the color palette is

yeah this was the only thing i knew about it prior. im gonna play it now though

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Arian_Samurai posted:

Circle of the Moon had one of the more interesting bosses

Castlevania III is cool since you get to pick your BFF

I usually pick the wizard, but the pirate and Alucard are cool too.

This boss loving sucks I hate this boss and I hope whoever developed this boss gets kicked in his stinking nutsack

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
the best part of Circle of the Moon is the ability to run through the poisoned water area like a loving suicidal idiot instead of purifying it and just straight skipping a whole boss and section of the castle. It's the most obvious sequence-break in the series.

E: also I did this for three playthroughs before I even realized there was a boss you could kill to purify the water.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mach2 posted:

This boss loving sucks I hate this boss and I hope whoever developed this boss gets kicked in his stinking nutsack

that boss is good and learning how to dodge his moves was a rewarding experience. this game also has a top tier death, second only to OoE's

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rude Lion Guns posted:

thank goodness the game boy sp fixed that problem

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Super Castlevania IV forever and always :love:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SGR posted:

Super Castlevania IV forever and always :love:

Man that one was so many miles ahead of the other classicvanias that it's a shame they never did another.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Anatharon posted:

Man that one was so many miles ahead of the other classicvanias that it's a shame they never did another.

the next best thing was the PSX one that was a port of the Sharp X68k one, still doesn't cut it though

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I love Castlevania music pretty much across the series, but nothing sounded like Super Castlevania IV did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUEC1Rcb1TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3dvr7OFGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11Or2ZvKWU

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

FuriousGeorge posted:

I love Castlevania music pretty much across the series, but nothing sounded like Super Castlevania IV did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUEC1Rcb1TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3dvr7OFGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11Or2ZvKWU

My personal favorite is how intense the music for Death, Slogra, and Gaibon was in that game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just beat Circle of the Moon. Dracula's last form was really really hard with the cards that I had but I finally beat him. Now for Magician mode...

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
now that you beat the game i don't feel bad telling you that there's a glitch in the game where if you have at least one card combo you can access every other card combo in the game. it's awesome you beat dracula legit though, i'm pretty sure no matter what you do that fucker can always kill you in 3 hits or less

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Harmony of Dissonance is exceptionally bad in comparison with the other two GBA games, wowwie. I try really hard to like it but I always make the mistake of playing it after one of the others, and can never stomach more than 1 hour

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

His charging attack dealt 768 of my 730 health in damage. he was friggin hard.

mostly because his eyeball form is reaaaaallllly hard to hit.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Portrait of Ruin got here so I jumped right into it today. So far I like how Jonathan and Charlotte work but the bosses haven't been too great yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im playing aria of sorrow, i really like it a lot actually. im not sure why i found it annoying the first time, but i just made it to the underwater zone after killing death. also these bosses dont gently caress around poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my favorite part so far is finding that ridiculous jumping skeleton in the floating gardens that acts like those space pirates near ridley in SM, wearing a bright red superman cape.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

All the GBA Castlevanias are ridiculously good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i wanna play sotn but ps1 games look gross on ps3 and emulating is kinda.. erm , like ... making coffee in a microwave? u know? when u make coffee in a microwave. i mean i dont but

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i wanna play sotn but ps1 games look gross on ps3 and emulating is kinda.. erm , like ... making coffee in a microwave? u know? when u make coffee in a microwave. i mean i dont but

Yeah, it's like making coffee in a microwave, in that it's illegal.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There is no version of SotN that looks gross.

Maybe the 360 version if you stretched it into a weird aspect ratio...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Phantasium posted:

There is no version of SotN that looks gross.

Maybe the 360 version if you stretched it into a weird aspect ratio...

ff9 looks isnanely bad on my ps3 so i suppose every ps1 game will

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

if you have a psp or vita, get Dracula X Chronicles. It's SoTN and two versions of Rondo of Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

ff9 looks isnanely bad on my ps3 so i suppose every ps1 game will

FF9 is not 2D.

SotN looks insanely good.

• Locked thread