Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I enjoyed Circle of the Moon since it's the first game I ever had on my GBA. Using the card exploit was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

if you have a psp or vita, get Dracula X Chronicles. It's SoTN and two versions of Rondo of Blood.

Jap only I assume?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Jap only I assume?

no.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Phantasium posted:

FF9 is not 2D.

SotN looks insanely good.

kewl beans

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

kewl beans

ps1 games that are predominantly static backgrounds or 2d still look good, but any polygonal crap looks awful because theyre being played at like 5 times they're original size

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

that isn't castlevania

I just got to Death in PoR and he's the first boss I've really liked aside from the wind girl. I hope the rest of the bosses are on his level.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

aria of sorrow trip report: just found this really ridiculous glowing sword behind a hidden wall in the ice zone. it is enormous, attacks in a giant arc and swings very quickly. it also seems to deal super high damage to demons and "dark" stuff. so basically im 2-shotting everything now

also found eversing armor which made my def shoot up a lot. i read that there is a better ending if i kill the final boss with certain souls, and i seemed to already have them by pure luck

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Hello.
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance is a good video game.
That is all.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hollyyy poo poo i got this dash tackle move after killing the last main boss it's incredible

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

blakyoshi posted:

Hello.
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance is a good video game.
That is all.

Pretty much every castlevania is a good game. Unless there are exceptions I'm not aware of.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mach2 posted:

the best part of Circle of the Moon is the ability to run through the poisoned water area like a loving suicidal idiot instead of purifying it and just straight skipping a whole boss and section of the castle. It's the most obvious sequence-break in the series.

E: also I did this for three playthroughs before I even realized there was a boss you could kill to purify the water.

I did this on my low level run and it was really hard. I was obsessed with FFX at the time so I renamed all my COTM job runs to like Warrior > Auron, Thief > Rikku, and then my low level one I called Kimahri because nobody ever used Kimahri

I ended up beating the game at like the lowest possible level beating only the necessary bosses. I was really obsessed with this game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

i wanna play sotn but ps1 games look gross on ps3 and emulating is kinda.. erm , like ... making coffee in a microwave? u know? when u make coffee in a microwave. i mean i dont but

I'm playing the PS1 version on Vita and PS1 games look pretty nice on the vita still because it's a tiny but good screen

I really love how SOTN has some super obscure poo poo everywhere. There is a room with a clock and it has 5 entrances, one opens every other minute if you wait, one opens from using the Clock subweapon, one opens if you wear 2 specific rings.

Then there's a room that's just a confessional with it's own music. If you sit on the chair a ghost priest comes to listen to you and then stabs you

Also there's a mask in the library that is totally the mask from Jojos

Also you get a rod as a weapon that can cast it's own unique spells that are all completely different depending on which shield you have equipped

Nobody does this anymore

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Finding out the inverted castle had hardly anything to do was one of the most disappointing moments of my gaming career

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I watched an "all furniture" TAS of Harmony of Dissonance last night that was hilarious. I'll post it when I'm back at my computer.

I'm also up to Braunher in PoR so I'm trying to get 888% to open the secret area. The 4 areas and bosses before the big portrait were cool and the whip's memory was actually pretty fun with the jet black whip that you get for beating Medusa. I am kind of worried that I'll get a bad ending for using the Vampire Killer at all, should I be?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

Finding out the inverted castle had hardly anything to do was one of the most disappointing moments of my gaming career

But then you find out the classic Castlevania bosses are what drop Dracula pieces and then it's cool again.

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm also up to Braunher in PoR so I'm trying to get 888% to open the secret area. The 4 areas and bosses before the big portrait were cool and the whip's memory was actually pretty fun with the jet black whip that you get for beating Medusa. I am kind of worried that I'll get a bad ending for using the Vampire Killer at all, should I be?

If you have the Vampire Killer, it's already too late to get the bad ending. You get it by flat out killing the vampire sisters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

888% completion??? That's madness

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really enjoyed my play of CV2 last year. I used the patch maker thingy + retranslation. Having an in-game world map, a clue journal, and no text box for the day/night transition made it smooth and fun. I did have to look up a walkthrough for one bit where I couldn't find the path to the 4th or 5th mansion.

it can be a good game with patches.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I beat PoR without the vampire killer cuz I'm a loving badass.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I beat PoR without the vampire killer cuz I'm a loving badass.

I'm going to do level 1 charlotte only new game no hp ups no healing items.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
old axe armor is the way to go

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I really hate grinding in Castlevania so I have 13/1000 Old Axe Armors killed. I won't be unlocking that mode any time soon.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I really enjoyed my play of CV2 last year. I used the patch maker thingy + retranslation. Having an in-game world map, a clue journal, and no text box for the day/night transition made it smooth and fun. I did have to look up a walkthrough for one bit where I couldn't find the path to the 4th or 5th mansion.

it can be a good game with patches.

I tried it out but I've never been hot on CV2 in the first place. Agreed on the patches though - they make the game pretty good.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Death + Dracula is an awesome fight but I don't know if I like the second phase yet. If I could combine PoR Dracula phase 1 and OoE Dracula phase 2 it would create the perfect Dracula fight.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Death + Dracula is an awesome fight but I don't know if I like the second phase yet. If I could combine PoR Dracula phase 1 and OoE Dracula phase 2 it would create the perfect Dracula fight.

Portrait of Ruin was conceived as an excuse for you to fight Dracula and Death together, I think

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

After beating it, I really wish that you had to even damage Dracula at all in the first phase. Death's HP seems to be all that matters.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

After beating it, I really wish that you had to even damage Dracula at all in the first phase. Death's HP seems to be all that matters.

If I remember right you can go for either one, the first one to die prompts the second form.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

you can beat either one but dracula has way more hp

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What about Castlevania 64, I rented that when I was a kid. I recognized that it was a bad game but I still enjoyed it. I got to the end boss which was Dracula who turned into a giant Dragon in a desert but I couldn't beat him.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I legit liked Legacy of Darkness, then read up on some of the retarded conditions for 64 and was glad I played the version I did.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wow, I can't believe that the Large Cavern is actually less annoying and terrible than the Nest of Evil. I didn't expect that one.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i started playing aria of sorrow today, sotn being the only castlevania i had played previously, and it kicks rear end. its good, as hell

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

except for the whole "equip/unequip your various metroid keys" poo poo aria of sorrow is really really good, yes.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobnumerotres posted:

except for the whole "equip/unequip your various metroid keys" poo poo aria of sorrow is really really good, yes.

yeah that part is gay and i also just spent an hour trying to kill death because he kills me in 3 hits and is really hard to dodge

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a way to digitally get cool castlevania games to play on 3ds or am I stuck ordering the carts off of amazon or we

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

Is there a way to digitally get cool castlevania games to play on 3ds or am I stuck ordering the carts off of amazon or we

I looked into this last night and it looks like it's just carts off amazon.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I looked into this last night and it looks like it's just carts off amazon.

Namaste.

gently caress paying 80 bucks for a game boy game tho lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

Namaste.

gently caress paying 80 bucks for a game boy game tho lol

The two good DS games (OoE and PoR) are pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

flashcart

• Locked thread