Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

flashcart

i could be wrong here but konami or whoever it is wont lose money if u emulate them at this point since theyre probably not making carts anymore.. ud just be buying whatever stock amazon or whaetver has left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I want to port Richter/Maria mode from PoR into OoE. It's one of the best alternate character modes they've made. I really like Albus mode on level 1 Hard but Richter and Maria would be awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i realized I had a stack of GBA/DS games in my closet and went rooting through them but the only castlevania in there is dawn of sorrow...is it any good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All the GBA and DS games are good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Like most early DS games, Dawn of Sorrow (lol!) has an annoying touch screen gimmick, but other than that it's pretty solid

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

i realized I had a stack of GBA/DS games in my closet and went rooting through them but the only castlevania in there is dawn of sorrow...is it any good

i really liked it. i had the doublejump guide because im a sucker for the cool little handbook guides. the fact that black panther soul didnt carry over to new game plus was a huge bummer though

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I revert played Bloodlines on the wii u and it was awesome. Then I played super castlevania and it wasn't nearly as awesome.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its boring for a castlevania game but still ok

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

its boring for a castlevania game but still ok

DoS is my least favorite metroidvania except mirror of fate

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

yes.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
okay so i'm about to beat aria of sorrow. what gba/ds castlevania should i play next. also since i'm emulating it are the ds ones gonna be a pain in the rear end to play, i've never emulated a ds before but the stylus poo poo seems like it will be annoying

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i can vouch for circle of the moon and dawn of sorrow both being good but that's it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

okay so i'm about to beat aria of sorrow. what gba/ds castlevania should i play next. also since i'm emulating it are the ds ones gonna be a pain in the rear end to play, i've never emulated a ds before but the stylus poo poo seems like it will be annoying

OoE and PoR have zero required stylus poo poo outside of extra modes. Please play them. I emulated OoE multiple times to make bad videos and it worked perfectly.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
circle of the moon is really hard

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

I really enjoyed the challenge in cotm, I just wish that the final boss arena was smaller. Can't keep up with the eyeball form with whip attacks.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Dawn of Sorrow is my favourite Castlevania ever barring the obvious (Symphony of the Night) so I'm really confused why people diss it.

My friend could only ever complain about it being "too anime" so I assumed it was whiners like that. The game loving rules aside from the touch-screen gimmick.

Evil Eagle posted:

OoE and PoR have zero required stylus poo poo outside of extra modes. Please play them. I emulated OoE multiple times to make bad videos and it worked perfectly.

The stylus-focused Sisters mode in PoR is fun as hell just because it's so stupid and unlike anything else in the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mach2 posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is my favourite Castlevania ever barring the obvious (Symphony of the Night) so I'm really confused why people diss it.

My friend could only ever complain about it being "too anime" so I assumed it was whiners like that. The game loving rules aside from the touch-screen gimmick.

The stylus-focused Sisters mode in PoR is fun as hell just because it's so stupid and unlike anything else in the game.

I just don't like the bosses at all in DoS.

Sisters mode could be cool if they had more than 1 attack each. It's pretty boring compared to Richter or Jonathan mode imo.

Dec 26, 2012

rediscover posted:

yeah

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

it's actually frustratingly difficult i don't think i'm gonna play it anymore because the knockback when u get hit in midair has taken 10 years off my life

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rip

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011

rediscover posted:

it's actually frustratingly difficult i don't think i'm gonna play it anymore because the knockback when u get hit in midair has taken 10 years off my life

There's a DSS combo that halves the damage you take but blasts you across the room like a ragdoll.

Useful in the final boss fight at least.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
abusing the DSS to break the game in new and interesting ways is what makes cotm one of my favorite castlevanias

Dec 26, 2012

the dss is such a cool system. i dont really like the random drop aspect of it but it rules otherwise

Dec 26, 2012

also the thing where a lot of them are poo poo-useless

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
there's an exploit in that once you have a top and a bottom card you can access every card combo in the game. getting all the cards legit is crazy hard and should only be attempted by the most masochistic of gimps

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Velthice posted:

there's an exploit in that once you have a top and a bottom card you can access every card combo in the game. getting all the cards legit is crazy hard and should only be attempted by the most masochistic of gimps

I'm this and I still didn't get all the cards. just use the exploit or play magician mode please.

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
Also CotM gets a lot easier once you realize the cross boomerang owns bones

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Velthice posted:

yeah i heard about that before i even knew what the game looked like. it was a lot of fun trying out random combos having no idea what they were gonna do

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Sgt. Slobber posted:

if there weren't so many tall vertical rooms w/ enemies actively trying to knock you off poo poo it would be really fun but there are so many enemies that are ridiculously hard to dodge that get friggin hard dicks from knocking you opff ledges so i don't fucks wit hit

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
r there any castlevanias where the platforming is challenging instead of like just rooms filled with enemies kinda thing. ive played aria + dos + ooe

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

r there any castlevanias where the platforming is challenging instead of like just rooms filled with enemies kinda thing. ive played aria + dos + ooe
rondo of blood

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

cotm until you get super jump, the training hall in OoE and most classicvanias

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

I.N.R.I posted:

r there any castlevanias where the platforming is challenging instead of like just rooms filled with enemies kinda thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju0Z6NquldM

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

that's like every castlevania before sotn

Dec 26, 2012

Sgt. Slobber posted:

i figured this out right before adrammalech

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Is there any gba/ds games that it isn't true? I mean the ones that uses subweapons of course.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Grimlook posted:

Is there any gba/ds games that it isn't true? I mean the ones that uses subweapons of course.

There are much better options in PoR but it's amazing in CotM and HoD.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

There are much better options in PoR but it's amazing in CotM and HoD.

Thing is I barely used subweapons in PoR. Charlotte's magic is way better anyway.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Grimlook posted:

Thing is I barely used subweapons in PoR. Charlotte's magic is way better anyway.

Yeah that's true. The biggest problem with the subweapons in PoR is that you have grind to master them. I pretty much only used the ones that were already mastered like Offensive Form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
The cross in HoD is crippled by requiring you to not have the Fist equipped at all times.

• Locked thread