Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I got my first crack at a real pro drum set last night and I'm very sad to learn my missing cymbal for the RB2 stock kit is potentially hundreds of dollars :mad:

I'm still on PS3 but obviously concerned about its longevity if I fire it back up. Is loading a PS3 library still broken on PS4, or am I ok to get a cheap used one and maybe sell off my launch PS3 (PS1+PS2 version) while it still works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Looking at the Harmonix stuff finally made me download Fortnite on Switch to see what it was all about

It scratched a pretty good itch but doing it on the controller took a bit getting used to

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

With the cost of drum kits you either just buy an ekit (and roll limitless if you're on PS) or I guess do that 3d printed thing if you want to spend less. There's just no real reason to use RB drums.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skyl3lazer posted:

With the cost of drum kits you either just buy an ekit (and roll limitless if you're on PS) or I guess do that 3d printed thing if you want to spend less. There's just no real reason to use RB drums.
Ok but say I have an RB2 kit with two cymbals and want to do the minimum amount of work and consume the minimum amount of space in a one bedroom condo.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

do the minimum amount of work and consume the minimum amount of space

You have to pick one.

I can help with the second one, but it involves unscrewing, soldering, and running a program called "avrdude".

E: actually hold up, the cymbals use a 3.5mm TS jack, right? Just plug in some headphones and scream into the left side whenever you want that cymbal hit. I'm like 35% sure that'll work.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 9, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

cruft posted:

You have to pick one.

I can help with the second one, but it involves unscrewing, soldering, and running a program called "avrdude".

E: actually hold up, the cymbals use a 3.5mm TS jack, right? Just plug in some headphones and scream into the left side whenever you want that cymbal hit. I'm like 35% sure that'll work.
Jokes aside I'm willing to do <$300 CAD of engineering and time spent since that's what a full kit would cost on eBay.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well, you can either build the thing I made, which uses any old Amazon kid's drum pad toy and a Sparkfun Pro Micro, or you could try to make a replacement cymbal with a piezo.

I'll tell you, the thing I made is sort of a pain in the rear end to play. It responds fine if you hit it, but the pads are like three inches in diameter and everyone misses them a lot. If I'm being honest, though, it's about the same experience as the RB1 drum kit I used to have. Not a great controller, but adequate for screwing around with friends. E: orienting the drums so the TV is directly in front of you makes a huge difference, the toy kit is actually not bad.

If you've got $300 you might look into an Alesis Mesh thingy and that Mad Catz MIDI-HID thingy. I'm probably going to wind up with this, because it turns out I actually sort of want to learn how to play something like the drums.

E: I just played through a couple of songs now that Cruft Jr fixed the audio calibration, and I'm back to thinking the $30 Amazon toy is a pretty frickin sweet controller. It makes a big difference when you feel like all the mistakes are your own.

cruft fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 9, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Given I haven't sparked this game up since well before RB4 came out I'll stick with what I have for now.

Is PS3 --> PS4 import still broken? I know someone with a kit I can play on if I bring my guitars over and add my account to their system.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

What do you mean by broken? You should be able to download any DLC you own onto a PS4, though it’s a more manual process because the PS store doesn’t have a “download all my stuff” button like the Xbox.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kaboobi posted:

What do you mean by broken? You should be able to download any DLC you own onto a PS4, though it’s a more manual process because the PS store doesn’t have a “download all my stuff” button like the Xbox.
I read somewhere else in Games that some element of the process would crash due to Epic's laziness.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
If you got a decent PC and know where to look, you can get PS3 RB3 running with no hard song limit, customs and compatibility with practically every instrument regardless of platform.

I currently have over 5000 songs, playing at 1440p at 60fps using my 360 guitar and Xbone drums. It's reinvigorated my love for the game.

https://rb3dx.neocities.org/

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Dr Zaius posted:

If you got a decent PC and know where to look, you can get PS3 RB3 running with no hard song limit, customs and compatibility with practically every instrument regardless of platform.

I currently have over 5000 songs, playing at 1440p at 60fps using my 360 guitar and Xbone drums. It's reinvigorated my love for the game.

Do the 360 guitars need an adaptor? I'm wondering if the wireless mics / guitars will work on the series X without any issues.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I can't speak to the Xbox series route because I didn't want to pay to access dev mode, but on PC if Windows can recognize the controller there's a way to use it. I'm using a wired rb1 strat and it works great, but I've also gotten the wireless Gretsch working with various programs and the wireless legacy adapter. There are more details here: https://github.com/carlmylo/rb3-pc#readme

They don't go into the instruments that need extra programs to run, but if your CPU is good enough they're not a problem.
https://github.com/TheNathannator/RB4InstrumentMapper/blob/main/README.md

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 9, 2024

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Do the 360 guitars need an adaptor? I'm wondering if the wireless mics / guitars will work on the series X without any issues.

the xbox series version shouldn't really be advertised as working at the moment, because xenia isn't currently programmed to read any of the instruments so nothing really works in game unless you do something hacky with the brook adapters that may or may not be banned soon. if xenia canary gets their poo poo together it might be a viable option in the future though

the the ps3 on pc version works great through and can run on basically anything

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

cruft posted:

If you've got $300 you might look into an Alesis Mesh thingy and that Mad Catz MIDI-HID thingy. I'm probably going to wind up with this, because it turns out I actually sort of want to learn how to play something like the drums.

This is what I did and if you have the space for it, I cannot recommend it enough. If you're playing on PC you just need a midi/USB cable, if you're on PS/XB then a Roll Limitless and a different cable. Either way it leads to a super fun experience, plus you can also learn actual drums.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Repost from the drum thread, but this is what I'm playing on, and it is fun as hell. I've got a PA stuffed under there so I can hear the native e-kit drum sounds along with the drum track in game. Using a modded version of the 360 rb3 with about 1600 songs and the old midi adapter.

This started out as a much cheaper Alesis mesh kit, and I just swapped a few pieces at a time over the years to get to this point. The original upgrade to the Alesis mesh from even the ION drum rocker kit was massive, it feels so much better playing on mesh than the rubber pads.

e: being able to play both yellow/blue hi-hat notes properly on the same cymbal was a huge upgrade in itself

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 9, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Lol I can’t even fit those cats in my place much less the drums, but they all look cool as hell.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Does ... does anyone have ... a copy of the PS3 version? I can't find it anywhere and I've only got a 360 disc. :/

Yeah, I know, :filez: and all, but it is an out of print software that I am actually unable to purchase

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dr Zaius posted:

Can it turn off the aeroplane noise?

edit: yes it can!

And it has Auto-Kick for drums. I can play with my kids now.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 10, 2024

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Enos Cabell posted:

Repost from the drum thread, but this is what I'm playing on, and it is fun as hell. I've got a PA stuffed under there so I can hear the native e-kit drum sounds along with the drum track in game. Using a modded version of the 360 rb3 with about 1600 songs and the old midi adapter.

This started out as a much cheaper Alesis mesh kit, and I just swapped a few pieces at a time over the years to get to this point. The original upgrade to the Alesis mesh from even the ION drum rocker kit was massive, it feels so much better playing on mesh than the rubber pads.

e: being able to play both yellow/blue hi-hat notes properly on the same cymbal was a huge upgrade in itself

malelivingspace.jpg

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

John Romero posted:

malelivingspace.jpg

Hah, if it were just me there probably wouldn't be any visible greenery. That is pretty much my hobby dungeon though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Does ... does anyone have ...

You don't have PMs, where can you be reached?

On the topic of emulated RB3, I've ripped my game (god drat it took some doing to find a Blu-Ray drive), I've got it running on RSPC3, but how the hell do I get custom tracks there? I've got a bunch converted for the PS3 version of RB3 from when I modded my actual PS3 to play custom tracks.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You don't have PMs, where can you be reached?

On the topic of emulated RB3, I've ripped my game (god drat it took some doing to find a Blu-Ray drive), I've got it running on RSPC3, but how the hell do I get custom tracks there? I've got a bunch converted for the PS3 version of RB3 from when I modded my actual PS3 to play custom tracks.

take the pkg files and just drag and drop them into rpcs3. if you have 360 con/live files, download onyx and use the quick convert tool and change the output to ps3 .pkg and make 4000mb bundles of the songs that'll load quick in game. if they're already single pkg files, I'd still recommend bundling them all up as it'll cut down on the initial loading time a bit

https://github.com/mtolly/onyx

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dr Zaius posted:

:eyepop: holy moly!!

RPCS3 is definitely an option for me, but I'm wondering how much of a headache it is to get a 360 keyboard controller working (cursory research suggests my other instruments should be fine, with just the official MS wireless adapter for PC). This is a big enough deal to me that I'd consider getting my 360 modded, if that's going to give me the best experience with my all-360 controller setup.

RPCS3 sure sounds nice though... so you get an even higher song limit, 60fps backgrounds... any other "exclusive" features that I wouldn't get via the modded 360 route?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dr Zaius posted:

God drat that looks ace. Not sure about retail emulators on the XSX though, didn't Microsoft crack down on those recently? Or is Xenia the exception to the rule?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

poo poo I didn’t realize you needed the PS3 one for that. I have two copies of the xbox one. Gonna have to do some hunting

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Real question is can I somehow convert my 360 save to ps3? I really don't feel like losing scores / recreating all my dumb things. I keep looking into a modded 360 but can't justify the cost for the once a year I play.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Evil Vin posted:

Real question is can I somehow convert my 360 save to ps3? I really don't feel like losing scores / recreating all my dumb things. I keep looking into a modded 360 but can't justify the cost for the once a year I play.

Playing modded 360 rb3 doesn't require doing anything to the actual console, all you need is a usb thumb drive and a specific disc version of the game.

https://orangeharrison.tumblr.com/tutorial

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

you need a modded xbox or ps3 (or a ps3 emulator) to use rock band 3 deluxe, which is what we're talking about. not just customs.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

you need a modded xbox or ps3 (or a ps3 emulator) to use rock band 3 deluxe, which is what we're talking about. not just customs.

Ahh gotcha, my setup has been working great so I haven't really looked into the alternatives too much. I'm sure I'll have to move on sooner than later most likely.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Yeah I've just about hit the song limit due to customs and would have preferred to just transfer stuff to the ps3 emulator if the saves were extractable.

Also autokick would be great for when people just aren't coordinated enough for the drum pedal and probably make the game come out more.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
For all I know the saves just need their headers changed, but I haven't looked into it. It should be noted that the ps3 emulator does have issues with characters and their hair and instruments freaking out during songs. It's by no means a deal-breaker for me, but if you're that invested in character editing and whatnot it might be for you. I was fine playing customs on my 360 and only looked into Deluxe because I hit a song limit and now I can't go back, mainly because I can use my rb4 drums and had no working drums for 360.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We've been using the hacked toy drum kit for about a month now and we're growing quite fond of it. Now that we know where the pads are, we're missing them a lot less. It folds up for easy storage, the rubber pads feel pretty good, and the input is solid: we feel like all mistakes are our own. Even the crappy kick drum pedals it came with are honestly good enough for a video game.

I'm considering designing a PCB so it's easy for other people to copy my work, but before I put in all that work, I'd like to know if there's any actual interest. That's where you, the person reading this, come in.

If I made a PCB for this, you would need to buy:

• $2: A PCB (optional, makes assembly easier)
  • $32: A drum toy
  • $7: A clone Pro Micro
  • $1: some 2.54mm FFC connectors
  • $1: a 3.5mm TRS (headphone) jack
  • The ability to solder things together

The microcontroller makes it look exactly like a Wii Rock Band 2 drum set with all cymbals and two pedals. I've verified this works perfectly with:

• Wii Rock Band 1
  • Wii LEGO Rock Band
  • Wii Rock Band 3
  • Windows Clone Hero
  • Linux Clone Hero
  • rbdrums2midi

It looks like this:

About $45 in parts, and about 3 hours to assemble. None of that money goes to me. Requires soldering.

Is anyone interested?

E: well, if anyone is, PM me. I'm going to unbookmark this thread and stop crapping it up with stuff nobody cares about :)

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 14, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I took my PS3 out of the case for the first time in years and it froze twice at the menus; once before I could even pick a song, and once after I played a couple. Latency was all over the place but I'm rusty and it's a new AV setup for the console. Before and at the second crash I saw obvious graphical corruption (character polygon off to infinity, corruption of text and song images).

My best guess is that whatever thermal solution they have on the GPU is long past crusty (it's a 2006 fat model with the PS2 hardware in it). I suppose I'm better off with a used PS4 than spending the time to fix this?

Update: got a used 500GB PS4 on order, but also going to re-paste my PS3 because I remember selling my Dreamcast ten years ago after being too lazy to re-jig the potentiometer.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 15, 2024

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Posted in the Fortnite thread:

I've been experimenting with fortnite festival. I rigged up some rock band drums, but because of the way it splits the left and right they just didn't feel right. And I don't see guitars feeling much better. So I've decided to design my own controller. Here's the first prototype. A fight box layout might work perfect for this, because I thought I'd be slapping the buttons. But I end up just spreading my fingers out over them anyway. I have some 60 mm buttons coming tomorrow and maybe with the bigger buttons I'll be more slappy. I'm going to try moving the outside buttons up a little bit for comfort and adding a bigger space in the middle. I'll eventually add a foot pedal for the overdrive.

I'm doing worse but having more fun than with any of the other random controllers I've experimented with.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
God damnit I really did miss the Rock Band 3 export by three loving years.

Oh well… might tool up my PC someday but this will have to do.

E: and the store errors out when I try to buy all but one of the Queen and Soundgarden tracks I wanted and I swear I bought half of them as RB3 tracks. Piracy once again starts looking great.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 16, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh lol apparently the PSN just errors out if you buy too many things, hence hitting it low in the alphabet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hosed up my PS5 trying to download all the Rock Band DLC at one time. I had to reformat the whole thing to get it to work again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yikes; I don’t think I have that problem as adding free tracks still works and I only have ~300 add-ons.

e: Paypal must have blocked the PSN or something despite my signing in again. A real CC worked and now I have all the tracks I’m likely to give a poo poo about (and some I don’t - looking at you, random free packs plus U2 in the base game).

Still not happy Before I Forget and Been Caught Stealing are marooned in the RB3 export.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's Joever.

https://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/an-update-on-rock-band-4-dlc

They also seem to clarify here that only the Rock Band 4 instrument controllers will be supported in Fortnite Festival.