Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Xavier434 posted:

In a game like this, I am all about intense and fast melee action. All I want to do is zip around bashing my enemy to pieces while dodging their attacks and I do not get that from Cryomancer. Unfortunately, I have either not played the right class or not unlocked the right abilities yet which really provide me with that sense of powerful fast impact that I want. Did you ever play that arguably poo poo game Too Human? They had a class in that game which dual wielded melee weapons and while there is plenty to complain about the game itself that class was really fun. The speed of combat in this game just isn't quite what I want from it, but again..I have not spent a lot of time with it yet so I am not quite ready to just write it off.

The closest thing to that would be Slayer, which is the "rogue" class. Nobody is going to be playing Slayer in cbt4. You can not unlock it in under a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

That because all the classes feel weightless and lovely. Especially for anyone who's played, and enjoyed Tera's combat :shobon:

Played a bit last night, feels more like NWN:O than Tera combat.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Cryomancers get an ice crystal pet buddy that does all the work for them, and I like pet classes.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fried Sushi posted:

Played a bit last night, feels more like NWN:O than Tera combat.

Hence the feeling of being weightless. I do enjoy Skyforge combat more than I liked NWN:O but definitely less than I enjoyed TERA. The weightless aspect is not the only reason though. I also dislike how many of the enemy attacks have little to no animated telegraphs and are not intended to be dodged. Instead you are expected to just soak the damage. They make up for this a little bit by having tougher enemies drop those HP globe things but that does not change the fact that soaking damage is just boring. Ends up feeling like one is fighting time than they are fighting the actual enemy. Thankfully, a lot of attacks can be dodged too and positioning does feel important so it isn't all bad and I do like it more than the combat in most MMOs that I have played so that's a thing I guess.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It plays very similar to NWN. Isn't there a way to try out other classes in that holodeck/danger room they send you to at the beginning? I definitely remember playing around with the Necro and some other class, and I KNOW I didn't grind enough to unlock them last CBT.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

It plays very similar to NWN. Isn't there a way to try out other classes in that holodeck/danger room they send you to at the beginning? I definitely remember playing around with the Necro and some other class, and I KNOW I didn't grind enough to unlock them last CBT.

Yah you can play most everything if not everything in the holo room.

Schubalts posted:

The closest thing to that would be Slayer, which is the "rogue" class. Nobody is going to be playing Slayer in cbt4. You can not unlock it in under a week.

in CB2 drinkfist took a week to get to necromancer

in CB4 he got there in like a day and a half

They sped up this game a lot

Slayer isn't too much farther, if not the same distance as necromancer

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Where does the game describe your ability that you use on low-hp enemies? The Alc one only seemed to let me use an ability to jump backwards and was pretty lame. I remember the Lightbringer (or whatever its called) gave a buff that improved one of your other abilities?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

enemy attacks have little to no animated telegraphs and are not intended to be dodged

I feel the exact opposite. I was just telling Grithok the other day what a great breath of fresh air that they went with animated telegraphs over red poo poo on the ground. Every boss fight has a telegraph for their big moves and I know what they are and if i didn't I would be a very dead Knight. Perhaps you mean the multi pack mobs that always come in groups but are super weak. Those guys I dont think have any telegraphs because they barely put up a fight and have no big hit moves. poo poo I cant think of any of the mobs in this game that don't telegraph their big moves. The sea people always do the scream and reach for the sky before the water ball, the crab men always charge up their electric thing before firing, the komodo dragon mob head jerks left twice and then once to the right before a tackle, The mantides glow purple when they are absorbing damage, the spitters cough up some poison before firing. I see it all man.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Progress enough in a class to unlock the global grid and the Training room in the research center opens up where you can play around with all the classes.

Third World Reggin posted:

in CB2 drinkfist took a week to get to necromancer

in CB4 he got there in like a day and a half

They sped up this game a lot

Slayer isn't too much farther, if not the same distance as necromancer

Slayer is on the north east center of the grid. Had I not gone straight for necro I would have been about 2 small nodes short of having slayer right now. I don't know my exact play time but given the cb4 started on the 23rd this was a huge improvement over the dicks I had to suck to get necro in cb2.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Where does the game describe your ability that you use on low-hp enemies? The Alc one only seemed to let me use an ability to jump backwards and was pretty lame. I remember the Lightbringer (or whatever its called) gave a buff that improved one of your other abilities?

The finishers can be used on targets below 10% health by pressing "e" and it has an undisplayed cooldown of about 6-10 seconds. They normally look cool and replenish some of your mana/whatever energy you use better than a straight kill. There are talents and Symbols that you can slot that make the finishers do something special sometimes.

Finishers:
Lightbringer - Disintergrate
Cryomancer - Ice Tomb the guy
Paladin - Pop Lighting fist pump
Alch - Big ball of acid?
Knight - Punch a guy to the moon and have your falcon eat him in the sky.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

To complete my three post combo.

The Pantheon (Guild) system in this CB4 is a work in progress in a big way according to their private forums and what the mods are saying. Currently the system is funny with having multiple division commanders which equates to like having multi guild leaders that all have to cast votes to change people's ranks or build things or kick people from the guild. The votes underway will resolve immediately if you have majority but if it ties then you gotta wait for afk or offline commanders to vote on it to get the thing to kick off.

It appears that the money that is used for the guild currency for building things is gained from guild member donations of the in game cash currency. There is also the throttle where building something requires players to dispatch their followers from their order to assist guild building projects. If you don't have your order unlocked yet you get it around P2000 if you have been pushing the story along.

Currently we have a 16 person max Pantheon up called Goon Divine Cybermancy. If you want an invite to this poo poo then pm me on SA with your char name/ or get on CTS mumble down to our hellhole "Angry Dome" we have themed WW1 style for the week and brute force your way into our bad games crew.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drinkfist posted:

Currently we have a 16 person max Pantheon up called Goon Divine Cybermancy. If you want an invite to this poo poo then pm me on SA with your char name/ or get on CTS mumble down to our hellhole "Angry Dome" we have themed WW1 style for the week and brute force your way into our bad games crew.

Is this really worth messing with right now since the beta ends in like 4 days?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

WarLocke posted:

yes

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

WarLocke posted:

The whole reason I am putting stock into this last closed beta is so we know how to make moves when the Open Beta drops. Knowing farm spots, speedrun strats, how the guilds work. poo poo like this will give us an edge in the drop of the open.

Normally people need to drop 50,000 credits to create a guild and can only invite 12 people to start with. If we figure out this system we can increase that cap quicker which allows for the day one guild to accept more people.

Edit: I am not sure if this game is popular enough to warrant a goon rush but being prepared for more than 12 jerkoffs is always a good idea.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I'll be a jerkoff for you Drinkfist

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Drinkfist posted:

I feel the exact opposite. I was just telling Grithok the other day what a great breath of fresh air that they went with animated telegraphs over red poo poo on the ground. Every boss fight has a telegraph for their big moves and I know what they are and if i didn't I would be a very dead Knight. Perhaps you mean the multi pack mobs that always come in groups but are super weak. Those guys I dont think have any telegraphs because they barely put up a fight and have no big hit moves. poo poo I cant think of any of the mobs in this game that don't telegraph their big moves. The sea people always do the scream and reach for the sky before the water ball, the crab men always charge up their electric thing before firing, the komodo dragon mob head jerks left twice and then once to the right before a tackle, The mantides glow purple when they are absorbing damage, the spitters cough up some poison before firing. I see it all man.

You only quoted a small portion of what I said and it loses too much meaning that way. I realize that the big attacks are telegraphed and I like that, but I want telegraphs for pretty much all attacks. I want a challenge but I also want the opportunity to exercise my skill set to the point where I could, in theory, spend 10 minutes fighting some huge dude or just 20 seconds fighting a small pack without taking a single hit if I concentrate and react well enough. I am looking for combat where if I take a hit then I can walk away knowing that it could have been reasonably avoided if I just learned to play better.

It is easy to just dismiss the smaller mobs and smaller attacks as something that does not "need" telegraphs and there is some truth to that, but it does result in the combat feeling less engaging because that means you really aren't doing anything but spamming and soaking hits until that big attack comes. I want the entire experience to feel engaging and cause me to feel the need to pay attention and react accordingly from beginning to end.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Hmmm well I guess Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu might be like a mini boss or something so he would telegraph his attacks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

You only quoted a small portion of what I said and it loses too much meaning that way. I realize that the big attacks are telegraphed and I like that, but I want telegraphs for pretty much all attacks. I want a challenge but I also want the opportunity to exercise my skill set to the point where I could, in theory, spend 10 minutes fighting some huge dude or just 20 seconds fighting a small pack without taking a single hit if I concentrate and react well enough. I am looking for combat where if I take a hit then I can walk away knowing that it could have been reasonably avoided if I just learned to play better.

It is easy to just dismiss the smaller mobs and smaller attacks as something that does not "need" telegraphs and there is some truth to that, but it does result in the combat feeling less engaging because that means you really aren't doing anything but spamming and soaking hits until that big attack comes. I want the entire experience to feel engaging and cause me to feel the need to pay attention and react accordingly from beginning to end.

people should only quote small sections of what you say since you have always been over wordy and weird

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Xavier434 posted:

can't we have one mmohmo thread without autistic posting

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

people should only quote small sections of what you say since you have always been over wordy and weird

Like your 3 post combo? ;)

I really don't know why you like this game sooooo much. At least I only wasted $20 on it :p

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Stanley Pain posted:

I really don't know why you like this game sooooo much. At least I only wasted $20 on it :p

good point, why dont you go play pedo sim 2015

Stanley Pain posted:

I still pop into Tera

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
As you get to higher prestige areas, you start to not even be able to ignore the packs of low health guys because their damage scales up rapidly. Like, easily getting killed by groups of mini-robots if you can't deal enough AoE damage to them before they start attacking. In the fourth open area (massive crystal cave), the mini-bots were shaving off over 1000 damage, when as a Paladin I had about 15k, and they came in groups of 6 on average.

The little guys hit harder than actual bosses, aside from telegraphed boss attacks. My damage shields usually run out of time when fighting a boss, while little guys will shred right through them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

down with slavery posted:

good point, why dont you go play pedo sim 2015

I just might, thanks for reminding me. :thumbsup:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Pump your brakes kid. I made the Three Post Combo. Not Reggin. Second, I totally bought the 20 buck pack for Reggin because this is how we started with Swordsman which is a terrible game that had some cool guild poo poo in it and a grind that has no equal. So Reggin is totally on the hook for however much his time is worth.

Russia game is fun homie. The Russians are well known for being a fun and friendly bunch that make games with bright and happy atmospheres. Just chill out and take a shot of vodka. Everything will be just fine.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A massive failed quote... much like this game.

It's totally not CryEngine :p

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

people should only quote

Good point.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Well the necromancer is one of the coolest designs for a class I have seen in a long time for a MMO. To put it bluntly I don't think they can actually be "destroyed" if the player is playing them really well. I say destroyed because you have to die a few times during hard fights to stay in the fight. Its loving insane how you play this class.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I just got to try the larger group content.

Dungeons, of which there are a lot, can be done with 1-3 people.

I just got into a group for a 6 man dungeon. The fights are pretty much the same where you have to avoid the telegraphed moves, but there are more things to kill you.

We wiped a bunch until we got a tank who understood the whole avoid damage not soak it and hope we end the fight fast enough.

There were a few problem pulls, but the reward was enough resources for 3 or 5 of the atlas nodes and a blue amulet.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Alchemist feels objectively inferior to the Lightbinder. Anybody feel differently?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Yeah running that dungeon looks like a pretty worthwhile time. Shame I got a damage amulet.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 27, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Drinkfist posted:

Here is everything they got in the current build of Closed Beta 2.

Solo / 1-3 Man Dungeons

Plus Neddar Testing Area

Questing Areas

PvP Maps

5 Man Long Dungeons

Closed Beta 4. Current Build. List of poo poo + Prestige Requirements to unlock.

Hubs

World Questing Areas

Thease areas got progressively big really fast. The first two are tiny but once you get to Lanbar Forest the zones get really big. It took me a few hours to clear Lanbar Forest and even longer to clear Naori Island.
The maps do not reset your progress in them until you clear the entire zones quests. You can then reset the zone and do it again. The quest rewards net you a big pile of all the spark colors and nick nacks. The Lanbar Forest zone gave me a free 3 hour mount as well.
Current Total: 10

Solo/3 man Missons

That Time indicator is an average clear time for the dungeon. The rewards for each map change/shuffle every 40 minutes. They have a chance to go 2x on the world map as well as allow you to play locked classes for some attempts for bonus rewards.
Current Total: 30

5 Man Dungeons

That Time indicator is an average clear time for the dungeon. The rewards for each map change/shuffle every 40 minutes. They have a good chance to go 3x on the world map and net you some serious sparks.
Current Total: 8

PvP Maps

Current Total: 5

Solo Only Test Areas

Current Total: 3

Spare Picture of the World Map State

They have dropped a great deal of poo poo into this Closed beta and I don't see Open beta being too far off with how much they have done. They still need to do some more translation passes and unfuck the voice acting unless they are trying to be comedians. I still have not seen any of the Invasion poo poo, the guild maps, most of the guild poo poo in total, all of the god form poo poo and lastly the newer maps are probably out of my reach for the single week I have which is why you see them locked on my pics.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 27, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I played this enough to tell that it's at least worht putting some time into since it's F2P and there's no initial investment.

That said, I'm kind of not motivated to play more right now until open beta drops and I don't have to worry about a character wipe...

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

I played this enough to tell that it's at least worht putting some time into since it's F2P and there's no initial investment.

That said, I'm kind of not motivated to play more right now until open beta drops and I don't have to worry about a character wipe...

Yeah this is where I stand at this point. I put in a fair number of hours yesterday. Enough to convince me that the game is worth playing once character wipes stop.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

when is open

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Massively Overpowered posted:

Massively Overpowered: How many more closed beta phases does the team anticipate the game will go through before open beta later this summer?

Skyforge Team: In addition to further optimizations and new features & content, CBT4 features a large number of updates to the game and its systems that were implemented based on feedback we received from the community during the previous closed beta tests. You can find a full list of these updates on the official site. As for the Open Beta, we will finalize its date after CBT4 is finished, so be sure to follow us on your favorite social media site to ensure you don’t miss any announcements regarding the Open Beta.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/24/skyforge-will-finalize-open-beta-after-this-weeks-test/

That is all I have got on the subject.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

All Hail Space Tractor.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

All Hail Space Tractor.

what the gently caress is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

poo poo just got real at the Halloween scare a thon at the farmer's market.

• Locked thread