Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Carecat posted:

Watched it, combat looks garbage. Thought it was going to be GW2/Tera style but what they call "action combat" looks dull.

It's pretty similar to Tera from what I recall of playing Tera. If anyone's played C9 (Continent of the whatever gently caress), Vindictus... etc. it's similar to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeaaaaah brutherrrrrrr.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Orv posted:

Yeaaaaah brutherrrrrrr.

I think everyone needs some shades. Make it a mandatory goon req.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Whoever said the combat wasn't TERA, I grant I didn't play a ton of TERA and it was a while ago, but this seems exactly like it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Orv posted:

Whoever said the combat wasn't TERA, I grant I didn't play a ton of TERA and it was a while ago, but this seems exactly like it.

TERA gave you a lot more opportunities to gently caress up. You can just press tab to lock onto enemies and make sure you never miss on top of skills not actually activating without a target.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

From what I've seen, if you are playing melee then its very much like TERA (probably more like Neverwinter) with more options for movement, you stun and knock mobs down and then etc. If you are playing range then more like GW2, since you need to lock into a mob to fire abilities instead of manually aiming them.

Combat looks ok. The gunners weapon is bonkers, berzerkers use loving two handed chain swords that rip into mobs, cryomancers shoot water at mobs and are probably the most apt for pretty princesses.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Phoix posted:

TERA gave you a lot more opportunities to gently caress up. You can just press tab to lock onto enemies and make sure you never miss on top of skills not actually activating without a target.

You can manually aim or tab target ranged abilities which is dumb because you can't miss when locked on. The devs have said that they'll look into this though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So the first follower you gets says you're bringing "light and wisdom to the people" and then pays you a giant amount of money.

Are we the gods of Scientology?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
How is the game, anyway?

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
This tutorial is ZZZ

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I went to look for people streaming this game. So far all I've learned is they picked 4 really boring looking classes for the first CBT and that you can hide your armor and run around in your underwear. Apparently you can even switch to your underwear midcombat.

Edit: After watching someone actually fighting for awhile, it's not really the same thing as tera. It's very close, but not the same.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 11, 2015

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So this is one of those games that has the separate resolution settings for 3d and 2d going on. Which is good because performance for me is kinda meh at this stage.

I do like the art style and the UI, and combat feels responsive enough. Oh and the voice work is hilariously bad.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Oh, I'm wrong, apparently there are 5 classes, everyone streaming just all picked cryo/berserker/paladin and no one wants to be a lightbinder even though it looks the most hilarious out of all of them because lolsupport.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Orv posted:

So the first follower you gets says you're bringing "light and wisdom to the people" and then pays you a giant amount of money.

Are we the gods of Scientology?

Good thing we are not catholic gods, or I would have a following of altar boys now. Then they would try to take me to mmo prison, but the rpg pope will intervene in my favor.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 11, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

Oh, I'm wrong, apparently there are 5 classes, everyone streaming just all picked cryo/berserker/paladin and no one wants to be a lightbinder even though it looks the most hilarious out of all of them because lolsupport.

There are 9 classes. Those 3 are just the starting ones, you unlock the rest.

e-Oh this phase only has 5, pretty loving dumb considering they've been showing beta footage with the other classes already.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 11, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There are 9 classes. Those 3 are just the starting ones, you unlock the rest.

e-Oh this phase only has 5, pretty loving dumb considering they've been showing beta footage with the other classes already.

Yeah, I meant for this test. I was hoping to see someone playing the kinetimancer or whatever it's called, but nope.

Also, far be it from me to have a concern, but the fact that all 9 classes aren't in the game right now is kind of worrying. There might be balance issues and that's fine, but to just not have almost half of your classes in for a beta test is a little strange. It makes me wonder how bugged they are.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I dunno, seems like a bizarre mix of TERA-ish combat and Warframe/Diablo sorts of "Do this dungeon once a day for bits and bobs", it's alright so far. It would really benefit from having that "eventually" controller support now though. Real mouse killer.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 11, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

On the positive side - combat so far feels fluid and responsive, no major lag or warping. On the negative side, I already start to grow bored after 2 hours.

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
is there a SA community in game yet or TLDR ded gaem

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

it's really weird. the combat isn't as fun as TERA's was, although it's kind of in the same vein. not many moves seem to have oomf. i feel like there's not really a cohesive thread to the game, if that makes sense? chat is hidden most of the time so it makes it feel like there's no community, and the main "hub" is pretty empty. basically it's like i don't really know what i'm doing.

idk. it's closed beta so it's obviously not done yet but i've got mixed feelings. i like the graphics at least, although when i was making my chick i felt like every default option had a lantern jaw when i started trying to customize.

e: basically, if you're on the fence, i would recommend waiting until there's a release with a trial version to give it a shot. don't buy it now unless you want to be puzzled.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 12, 2015

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
How do you unlock the berserker exactly?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
As far as I can tell, you unlock new classes from the full ascension atlas, but you don't unlock that till at some later point in the game. I believe you have to unlock your first ultimate? Either way, at that point you can start building an overarching ascension atlas that grants buffs to all your classes.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Hammerstein posted:

Lesson learned from past mmos (maybe there is still hope for me) and this time I only bought the smallest Founder's pack to check out the game. Supposedly CB starts today, DLing now.

Hammerstein posted:

Lesson learned from past mmos ... bought the Founder's pack

you learned nothing

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

A Spider Covets posted:

it's really weird. the combat isn't as fun as TERA's was, although it's kind of in the same vein. not many moves seem to have oomf. i feel like there's not really a cohesive thread to the game, if that makes sense? chat is hidden most of the time so it makes it feel like there's no community, and the main "hub" is pretty empty. basically it's like i don't really know what i'm doing.

idk. it's closed beta so it's obviously not done yet but i've got mixed feelings. i like the graphics at least, although when i was making my chick i felt like every default option had a lantern jaw when i started trying to customize.

e: basically, if you're on the fence, i would recommend waiting until there's a release with a trial version to give it a shot. don't buy it now unless you want to be puzzled.

The game will be f2p, the only reason people are paying anything now is for beta access and some extra pretty princess cash shop cash and outfits.

I like the combat so far, I hope they can polish this game up and it'll probably be a pretty good f2p time waster. I hope the voice acting isn't placeholders, I want them to release it as is because it really is funny.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The tutorial was hell of boring. The combat seems okay but the 3 classes I could chose from all give me a flaccid wiener so I stopped playing after the starter island.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I can't believe how boring it is to play a Cryomancer. Your most damaging ability is your left-click spam attack so you just never stop left-clicking unless you need to use an AOE on a group of enemies.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Phoix posted:

I can't believe how boring it is to play a Cryomancer. Your most damaging ability is your left-click spam attack so you just never stop left-clicking unless you need to use an AOE on a group of enemies.

WoW frost mage experience lives on through years and games.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Phoix posted:

Gunner is pretty fun. Get to feel like a Space Marine running around with a Machine Bolter and a Plasma Cannon.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

RottenK posted:

you learned nothing

Lies !

Warhammer Collector's Edition, Age of Conan CE, D3 and expansion - both CEs, SWTOR CE, Guild Wars 2 CE, Archage Archeum CE (yes the 150$ one), several Neverwinter packs, Lotro CE and lifetime sub (but I can't hate this game)....also Darkfall and Mortal Online......compared to this list of shame I have displayed a staggering amount of fiscal responsibility this time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hammerstein posted:

Lies !

Warhammer Collector's Edition, Age of Conan CE, D3 and expansion - both CEs, SWTOR CE, Guild Wars 2 CE, Archage Archeum CE (yes the 150$ one), several Neverwinter packs, Lotro CE and lifetime sub (but I can't hate this game)....also Darkfall and Mortal Online......compared to this list of shame I have displayed a staggering amount of fiscal responsibility this time.

Seems like you have a learning disability.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Hey now, don't diss the Warhammer Online CE. The box is amazing and the art book and comic that came with it were worth the money by themselves. Oh I guess it also came with an exclusive miniature that I'll never do anything with... and maybe a CD with a bad game in it? Not too sure about that part.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

I've been playing as a paladin and aside from a little combat jankiness, this is pretty close to tera in all the good ways.

Game isn't terrible but there's definitely a concern about depth of content and also capacity boosts via cashshop being a requirement to not hate yourself.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

They really should have made the Berserker available to everyone straight off in this beta. I won one of the packs that unlocks it, and it's definitely the most fun/impactful feeling class at the beginning.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Bought in to the beta, but haven't had a chance to play yet. This is the first time I've pre-ordered any sort of game. The MMO HMO sickness is inside of me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lux Aeterna posted:

I've been playing as a paladin and aside from a little combat jankiness, this is pretty close to tera in all the good ways.

Game isn't terrible but there's definitely a concern about depth of content and also capacity boosts via cashshop being a requirement to not hate yourself.

Yeah, its pretty close in terms of weapon collision, not nearly as tight as tera/vindictus but still a notch above all others. Playing through it it, animations are fine, enemies recoil properly when hit, the spells and attack look fine, the problem is the audio feed back and hit stun. Even though it looks like you are hitting things, it doesn't sound or feel like it, so if they improve the sound effects on hit and add a tiny bit of stun it'll be great.

Performance is pretty good, 55-60fps most of the time when on the open fields with other players. 30-40 in the hubs when there are tons of players and 70+ on the private missions. Looks pretty solid visually, lots of ground clutter and the attack effects look nice.

Attacks are interesting because they change depending on context. For example if I press left click it shoots a single ball, if it hits the enemy it does a tiny bit of damage, if I hit a player it buffs them. Leave left click pressed and I channel a red beam of doom that hits everything in its path. Right click lobs an aoe ball at the enemies, 1 does a big ball of damage to a single mob, v does a damaging root. Paladins get combos that change depending on which buttons you press during the chain. All classes can execute mobs at a certain health range. The support class sort of handwaves them out of existence, paladin lifts them up and zaps them with holy lightning.

My only real concern is the whole weekly growth caps, they could easily turn into a cash grab.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 12, 2015

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My only real concern is the whole weekly growth caps, they could easily turn into a cash grab.

I'm really hopeful you can just drop 15 bucks a month on a premium that gives you a 30%-50% gain multiplier and you can spend credits on the capacity boosts. That would be totally serviceable as a f2p game.

Rumor is in russia the caps are raised some nominal amount like 10-20% and the premium service really just offers a bigger gain on getting stuff. Caps also roll over to promote keeping an artificial ceiling in place but also allowing shitsocks to catch up.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I've been checking in on the main website for this game for a while now. Glad to see a thread was created for it. I'll give it a whirl once it launches and follow the updates here. I loved TERA's combat and this sounds and looks similar enough to peek my interest. That plus they seem to be trying some new stuff for an MMO which I always commend over the usual cookie cutter F2P game.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
the sound is definitely weird. the loudest thing i can usually hear is the echo from my footsteps. the echo persists even in outdoor environments. combat seems okay, but i definitely made a mistake starting as a cryomancer. maybe i'm misunderstanding the nature of the abilities but they're really boring so far.

also i have to skip all the voice acting or i will die, so i have no clue what the plot of this game is.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone find boss-esque monsters unbelievably boring and frustrating? As a cryomancer (supposedly a DPS), I sit there pew-pewing for 12 damage per hit, to a monster with 3800 health. Sometimes I can use a spell, which does an amazing 45 damage. Urgh.

Also, the tutorial was just awful. Sometimes the dialogue bugged out and switched to Russian :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Go through the classes tutorials in the virtual training area, they give you a better idea of what your class can do. Cryomancer starts really dull but some of the attacks shown in the training area are bonkers. Snowball makes a giant snowball that barrels toward enemies and either blows them to the side like bowling balls or takes them for a ride katamary damacy style. Its hilarious and does a ton of damage.

I find lightbinder to be more like a proper mage class at first even with the defensive abilities. They seem to have faster burst at first than cryomancers but their attacks dont look like they have a whole lot of oomph when compared to some of the paladins, cryomancers and berserkers.

Also for the bosses, once I started using impulse damage and got better gear they just started shedding health bars like something out of DFO.

I dont know about other classes but executes give lightbinders a pretty big buff. If you use an execute on a mob they'll do double damage for their next spell. A lot of bosses spawn adds, if you time it right you can execute a mob, have impulse ready, and then lob the attack at the boss for massive damage. An attack that normally does 60 damage is now doing 450, if it crits it hits for like 600.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread