Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lux Aeterna posted:

I'm pro-cap but it seems to be a minority opinion on the official forums.

Capping advancement always gets under my skin.

Like, I don't have a problem with it in theory, but if you just have a set cap across the board then people who start playing later (or people who take time off) can never 'catch up' to the people who were there at day 1 and never stopped playing. It's like the divide in EvE, I could start a character today but I would forever be a decade behind the people who have been playing since release.

Maybe some sort of graduated cap would work better (speaking in general here, not for this particular game) - something like, if you start a character 6 month after the game goes live, you still have the daily/weekly progression cap, but it's only a soft cap. You can continue getting bigger numbers, at a slower (and probably dwindling rate), until at some point you 'catch up' with the most it would have been possible to gain by then, and then you are hard-capped?

Anyway, just found this thread and the game looks interesting. Kind of a weird science-fantasy aesthetic, I like. I've never actually played TERA but how does the combat compare to GW2 or Neverwinter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lux Aeterna posted:

The cap rolls over if you fail to hit it weekly; it doesn't disappear forever. At least, that's what the devs are saying on a smaller scale. They used the example of going on vacation for 2 weeks: your progression would just roll up so when you hit week 3 you'd have the full cap available to you as someone who played for 3 weeks straight.

Okay, yeah, that sounds almost perfect. Like I said, I don't mind caps in theory, just don't penalize me for taking a trip or whatever and not playing for a month.

So the closed beta test is only for people who spend money right now, right?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lux Aeterna posted:

I'd be pretty content with them giving us 2-3 weeks worth of cap at launch if you need to shitsock it out but I'm very pro-cap.

I'm pro-cap but in the other direction(?)

Like, to use random numbers: If you have a dude that created a character on day 1, and the cap was 1,000 ProgressPoints per week, in 6 months he could have up to 24,000 ProgressPoints, right?

Now, if someone starts playing the game at that point (6 months after release) I don't feel like this new guy should be capped at 1,000 ProgressPoints per week. Since the max total points you could have gotten so far is 24,000 he should be able to grind up to that much (whether linearly or at a slower rate past the 'normal' cap) until he's 'caught up' with the first guy. But once you're at the 'real'/hard cap then sure, no more special treatment for you.

How much poopsocking that is is immaterial, the point is that capping total advancement makes sense but penalizing late entry (or penalizing not playing constantly) is a dick move.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lucked into a beta key for this from someone on another forum, is there any interest or have people given up on it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

It's not like this game could be as bad as Wildstar.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

How does the grouping work? My prestige or whatever is only like 483 :downsgun:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah the code I was given was SFUCK something. I think the devs are having a laugh with their algorithms

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I gotta say I really like what they do with the character/class/progression stuff here. No need for altitis, in fact you only get one dude. And there's no 'trap' options, all the random little stat boosts you get as you travel along the atlas applies to you no matter what class you're currently in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

so the guild is kinda like an alliance

there are 3 clans and each one has a leader. Each can have 4 people in them. So 12 people max.

Until you upgrade them. This involves some quest and donating money. We haven't found the quest.

Then you can increase each clans size and add more clans.

Each leader of the clan has to vote on pretty much everything.

That seems needlessly complicated?

In other news, Lightbinder is pretty cool. You start off with some decent aoe ability and can fire a big fuckoff lazerbeam from your cleric halo rod thing. Still gotta figure out what the gently caress 'impulse charge' is though, lots of abilities mention it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Impulse Charge is the bar above your dodge bar, it has a lightning bolt by it. If you use an ability that says it uses Impulse Charge when the bar is full (the counter on the bar also becomes a 1), then that ability does extra damage.

There are also Symbols that you can unlock through the Atlas that add effects when you use Impulse Charge. For example, on the Russian server, I have a Symbol that gives me a damage shield when I use Impulse Charge. It can help a lot to just look around the upper atlas, and see what and where things are.

OK, now my next question is what is the segmented bar that appears over my health sometimes. I have no idea what it is, and it seems to pop up randomly.

The Lightbinder left-click is kind of weird, if you hold it an instant too long it tries to do the channel and eats a chunk of your mana and I was trying to build that up, damnit. I'm finding it simpler to just not spam leftclick and just stand around while mana recovers.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

Or you can max out a single class and get points for advancing any other class.

From what I've read on their forums this is a perk of being premium/paying a subscription.

If you're a filthy free player and max out a class you keep getting the class-specific spark things even though you have no way to use them.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

There should probably be some sort of conversion (50 or 100 class sparks to one evolution spark) or something, because unless I'm missing something when/if you were to max out all the classes you literally cannot do anything with the class sparks unless you subscribe so you can get evo ones instead.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Schubalts posted:

That would be a damage shield. Lightbinders have a few abilities that add a shield to yourself, or a targeted friendly.

Okay, this must be it since I haven't even unlocked the global atlas yet. I have nodes unlocked in 3 different classes randomly.

quote:

It was changed so that you don't gain class sparks for a maxed out class, so technically you're not picking up completely useless sparks. Before that change, those useless sparks actually counted towards your weekly caps. Doesn't change that it's dumb that only premium players can progress classes by not actually playing them, though.

Well, that's... better, I guess. At least it doesn't take up your cap.

Speaking of the weekly cap stuff, I was reading the monetization thread in the beta forum and some people are saying the cap resets each week, but other people are saying that unused potential from one week rolls over to the next. I am so confused.

Like, if the hypothetical cap is 1,000 whatevers per week, and I only get 500 in the first week - when the cap resets is my new limit 1500 (1,000 weekly reset + 500 unused from last week)? If someone was to make an account 8 weeks after the game launched is their initial cap 1,000 or 8,000?

Basically is the cap an individual thing (more like EvE's skill system where new players can never catch up to older ones) or a measure of 'nobody in the game can be more than X level right now'?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

Currently we have a 16 person max Pantheon up called Goon Divine Cybermancy. If you want an invite to this poo poo then pm me on SA with your char name/ or get on CTS mumble down to our hellhole "Angry Dome" we have themed WW1 style for the week and brute force your way into our bad games crew.

Is this really worth messing with right now since the beta ends in like 4 days?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I played this enough to tell that it's at least worht putting some time into since it's F2P and there's no initial investment.

That said, I'm kind of not motivated to play more right now until open beta drops and I don't have to worry about a character wipe...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Nice lawnmower you got there Drink.

SPACE lawnmower thankyouverymuch

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This game looks really really fun! Are the Gunners as fun to play as they look? I sort of want to get my hopes up for an mmo to play but nothing has been able to grab my attention very much. I haven't played a sci-fi mmo since Cabal, or maybe Firefall and this one actually looks fun to play rather than just filling a gap.

It's not really a traditional MMO. Most of the action is instanced mission type stuff, like say Vindictus. The character/gear progression stuff is there, but it's not like you're running into random people while crossing the Karanas or anything.

I thought it was pretty fun and am looking forward to open beta.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Have they confirmed there won't be a character wipe between OBT and release? Is OBT basically a glorified headstart week or something?

Did you figure out the guild system enough that we can have a goon framework going quickly?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

Literally the system is bum rushing progression with our most unclean.

Okay, so I'll be playing but I probably shouldn't be one of the 12 disciples (:haw:) since I'm not that hardcore of a poopsocker.

But I am down with joining a goon guild down the line however that ends up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Grittykitty posted:

Is there any reason to buy a founders pack at this point? I see the list of benefits but since all the closed betas are complete it seems like it might not be worth it.

You'll start with access to more classes (Alchemist and Knight?) and I think there were some mounts or something involved? Also probably get some premium time.

• Locked thread