Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's related to the sunk cost fallacy, I think. "Well I've already spent $X on this and I'd hate to waste that so I need to spend $X more!" Part of what scammers do, really. "Hey you just haven't used it long enough! Here, have another bottle, I'll even knock a few bucks off. You're welcome!"

The joke is that most people that have fibromyalgia...well...don't. It can be incredibly debilitating and awful for those that actually have it but so many people diagnosed themselves with it that it's safe to assume that anybody that tells you they have it doesn't.
Self-diagnosis is a big problem, but part of the problem is that research has not yet produced a detectable pathophysiology or even determined that it's a single condition rather than multiple conditions with similar symptoms.

A lot of people posting in this thread may find the Pseudoscience thread in SAL to their liking, here's a page that starts with my comments on fibromyalgia. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100175&pagenumber=359&perpage=40

aardwolf posted:

The thing that bugs me is reloading a captcha four or five times and still getting incomprehensible gibberish and realizing that, y'know, it might be possible for some kind of computer algorithm to make sense of this poo poo but there's no way a human could.
:eng101: Actually, the reason you get unreadable captchas is that during Google's project to digitize every book in the world, sometimes OCR can't identify a word. It uses a known word as a control and a machine-unreadable word to get your interpretation of what it says. After enough people give it the same result, it's digitized as the word the crowd says it is and that one is taken out of rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I don't mind the google books captchas, but the ones that are NOT google books-based, but instead only give you ONE captcha to solve and it's some computer-generated incredibly-skewed weird-font "I think it is a 4 digit number?" lime-on-cyan bullshit with a static filter laid over it, now THOSE can be impossible to solve and just give you another impossible one on refresh

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

GWBBQ posted:

Self-diagnosis is a big problem, but part of the problem is that research has not yet produced a detectable pathophysiology or even determined that it's a single condition rather than multiple conditions with similar symptoms.

About that...

I do agree that it's a "dustbin" condition though. When I go to my doctor with other problems, some of them tend to relate them to FM, even if it's not a known symptom of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ebola Dog posted:

Gluten is protein, it is no more toxic or poisonous than any other protein that makes up our diets.

Prions are also protein and they'll kill you dead. Just being a protein doesn't mean something is necessarily safe.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Prions are also protein and they'll kill you dead. Just being a protein doesn't mean something is necessarily safe.

While true, gluten is still not toxic and in fact delicious.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

I don't mind the google books captchas, but the ones that are NOT google books-based, but instead only give you ONE captcha to solve and it's some computer-generated incredibly-skewed weird-font "I think it is a 4 digit number?" lime-on-cyan bullshit with a static filter laid over it, now THOSE can be impossible to solve and just give you another impossible one on refresh

There was some on mediafire where you had to watch an ad ( I got diapers and a ford truck I think) and the answer was something about the product in the video

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The idea behind those is the company is trying to gather buzzwords about their product.

You can say anything you want though.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

bamhand posted:

yeah, unless you actually have coeliac there is 0 reason to worry about gluten

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Got this the other day.

Some background if you haven't had the pleasure of knowing about the freestanding ER money grab

That "accepting most private insurance" line is the big scummy part. They "accept" any insurance but they are out of network and will bill you for whatever the insurance refuses to pay. Which will be a lot because their charges for things like the facilities fee are normally a few times what normal hospital attached ERs charge.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
But a free teddy bear!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Speaking of overpriced booze...

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
There is a bit of controversy in Texas about the St Davids Urgent Care emergency room. It's an emergency room that charges many times what an urgent care clinic would. The name of the ER is "Urgent Care".

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

happyhippy posted:

I'm assuming there is a misprint somewhere, as its piss easy to tell them apart.

Reds have the heavier grape aftertaste than white wines. Whites are usually more bitter. Not a foolproof way, but you can tell most surely.

quote:

Colour affects our perceptions too. In 2001 Frédérick Brochet of the University of Bordeaux asked 54 wine experts to test two glasses of wine – one red, one white. Using the typical language of tasters, the panel described the red as "jammy' and commented on its crushed red fruit.

The critics failed to spot that both wines were from the same bottle. The only difference was that one had been coloured red with a flavourless dye.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Checkout manages to hit some nerves over A2 milk. Mostly that their product is backed by nothing by maybes and shonky research.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1XGmr26Mo
http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/a2-milk-company-sues-the-abc-over-the-checkout-segment/story-fnjbnts7-1227393045130
So they're sueing them over it. Even when not pulling stunts they still manage to get in trouble :allears:

Third part in their milk series even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmt7OqHix-g
What is permeate? Also bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmt7OqHix-g
And some other boring thing about milk too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I KNEW Templeton would show up in that article. Here in Iowa that stuff was like GOLD. It'd come out once or twice a year and people would line up for hours at a shot of getting a bottle!

Then I think back in 2012 or so, someone figured out what was going on and the demand for it dropped. It isn't BAD or anything, but its not Iowa, so its not special. Now you can find it on any shelf here in Iowa. It sells, but its no longer the hot item it once was.

This is super scummy though, and I don't know how these distillery owners can justify their deception. I don't think anyone is going to fault them for importing it, thats fine. But telling people its LOCAL and they are supporting LOCAL business is wrong and they should all be held accountable for their deception.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, now I'm glad I decided to get the cheaper bottle of Rittenhouse rather than the Templeton, if Templeton is the same as brands of rye than sell for $10 less.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bamhand posted:

Oh I know, I eat crap loads of bread because

Ernie Muppari posted:

yeah, unless you actually have coeliac there is 0 reason to worry about gluten

people that don't have a real medical condition that causes gluten to gently caress them up can ignore it. I for one do not have gluten issues and loving love bread. Even if the "literally poison" thing is true it's pretty obvious at this point that most of the human race can scarf down bread with no issues.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Why can't the diabetic diet be a fad diet?

---

Was at a chevron, went to fill up with gas and they installed some radio that blasted loud rear end ads at you, you can mute them.

The high schoolers across the street found a way to glue the button so you can't mute/lower the volume :(

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

stringball posted:

Why can't the diabetic diet be a fad diet?

---

Was at a chevron, went to fill up with gas and they installed some radio that blasted loud rear end ads at you, you can mute them.

The high schoolers across the street found a way to glue the button so you can't mute/lower the volume :(

Lifehack'd

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it also scummy when companies hide their branding? Saw a report on CBS about how one company owns Ray Ban, Oakley, and dozens of other brands. They also run Eyemed vision insurance and own Lenscrafters, Sunglass Hut, Oliver Peoples, and have like 80% of the retail glasses market. It's fake competition since it's all owned by the same Luxotica company. They also manufacture glasses in the same factory for luxury brands like Dolce/Gabbana and they all come from the same place.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Jun 15, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Is it also scummy when companies hide their branding? Saw a report on CBS about how one company owns Ray Ban, Oakley, and dozens of other brands. They also run Eyemed vision insurance and own Lenscrafters, Sunglass Hut, Oliver Peoples, and have like 80% of the retail glasses market. It's fake competition since it's all owned by the same Luxotica company. They also manufacture glasses in the same factory for luxury brands like Dolce/Gabbana and they all come from the same place.

Yes and companies do that all the damned time. Look at Dean Foods some time; it's about the same. Pepsi and Coke own a gently caress load of the beverage industry in general. Generic or store brand stuff is also often just stuff made by the main company put in a different box.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes and companies do that all the damned time. Look at Dean Foods some time; it's about the same. Pepsi and Coke own a gently caress load of the beverage industry in general. Generic or store brand stuff is also often just stuff made by the main company put in a different box.

Im not 100% on its accuracy but its still interesting

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Your ‘Craft’ Rye Whiskey Is Probably From a Factory Distillery in Indiana

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pepsi and Coke at least don't seem to make other colas or anything to compete with themselves.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Isn't Costco vodka the same exact thing as Grey Goose, as well?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

Isn't Costco vodka the same exact thing as Grey Goose, as well?

It was, but they've changed distilleries. It's still pretty up there in quality as far as vodkas go. I think. I only know poo poo vodka and non-poo poo vodka.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

stringball posted:

I worked for a store re-set company last year; basically what that means is, when a supermarket changes up what products are on its shelves, we'd come in, pull the discontinued stuff, put in the new stuff (rearranging where everything went on the shelf based on however much a company's marketing dept paid to get prime shelf space), and send the old stuff back to the manufacturer. Old stuff going back had to be sorted into boxes based on the parent company. It was quite interesting to see which big names owned which product lines, just doing the cookie/cracker aisles for a few Wal-marts one week. That infographic barely scratches the surface of how many small name brands are owned by big companies. I learned a bit about big companies making smaller brands that compete against each other.

I also learned how appalling Wal-Mart is when it comes to refreshing their product. Part of our job was to also check the expiration dates as we went along. We threw out whole shopping carts of expired Oreos on one gig. :gonk: It probably won't kill you, but check those exp dates, folks.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Phyzzle posted:

There is a bit of controversy in Texas about the St Davids Urgent Care emergency room. It's an emergency room that charges many times what an urgent care clinic would. The name of the ER is "Urgent Care".

My wife went to one of these the other day and luckily the person at the counter was straightforward that it was an ER and would bill her differently. She replied "oh thanks, well bye" and went to one of the real urgent care facilities within a mile of it for her smashed hand.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

stringball posted:

Yeah, like I'm seeing A&W in two places

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, like I'm seeing A&W in two places

A&W is a soft drink brand as well as a fast food chain. They're actually two separate things, but the fast food chain does serve A&W soft drink brands, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Some types of soft drinks also sell bottling rights to various companies. Dr. Pepper comes to mind; in some places it's bottled by Pepsi, in some by Coke.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

This is the article posted earlier on the same page that started this discussion, yes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

stringball posted:

It's old. Nabisco and Cadbury were sold to Mondelez a year or two ago. Also a bit misleading -- almost all the cereals listed have the top-level brand name real big on the front of the box, it's even included in some of the logos shown, they're not trying to fool anybody with those. Also has a few major omissions -- Keebler is part of the Kellogg's empire, for one.

I know this because I represent about half the companies on there, or around 80% of the stuff in a standard grocery store*. Don't worry if you find it confusing, I can't keep up with who I rep at times without looking at the small print on the back of the box.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I worked for a store re-set company last year; basically what that means is, when a supermarket changes up what products are on its shelves, we'd come in, pull the discontinued stuff, put in the new stuff (rearranging where everything went on the shelf based on however much a company's marketing dept paid to get prime shelf space), and send the old stuff back to the manufacturer.
Me too! Well, I've been fulltime for five years now. Did an A/T thread about it awhile back.

Ah, WalMart cookie resets. I did a few of those last year too (I'm on the team for the small regional chain, but when they're not doing a lot of resets and WalMart is ... ). Oddly enough, just after we unassed Nabisco, but they hired us to help with 'em even though we weren't obligated by our brands to do it**. WalMart is the worst store I've worked in, their managers tend to be jerks.

*this week I'm working at the chain's single uppity store that competes with Whole Foods and the like (they were planning several more when they built it, and then the economy tanked), so all my sections are tiny and UNFI's got the majority of the work :D (usually UNFI sends 0-1 people to a full store reset and my company sends 11; this week it's the other way 'round -- well, our whole crew is there, but UNFI has like 15, and my company's probably going to finish early.)

**generally, whichever broker has the most items in a section sets that section. But it gets even weirder -- Coke and Pepsi send their people to d the soda aisle, but minute Maid, though owned by Coke, is represented by my company instead of Coke's people, so I do chilled juice.

Edit: Also, not all that scummy but marketing: grocery stores are laid out in a very specific way. Oreos are always the first thing you see when entering the cookie aisle. Whether that's at the front or the back of the store depends on the flow, which is analyzed and determined by people above my pay grade.

A little bit scummy: the bread and the milk are on opposite sides of the store to force you to walk past everything else.

Fun fact: Nabisco or P&G or whoever pays more for an endcap for a week than I and Jackie combined make in a year.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Jun 16, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Delivery McGee posted:

Me too! Well, I've been fulltime for five years now. Did an A/T thread about it awhile back.

If it's the same one I recall, I was thinking about that very A/T thread while overhauling the Mondelez line at that Wal-mart Neighborhood Mkt. Very interesting stuff. Do you have the link handy? I'd love to re-read it, knowing what I do now about resets/merchandising.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Probably archived by now, and I can't find it with a cursory search, but pretty sure it was "Ask me about the grocery business" or something like that. Also, so as not to derail the thread more, I sent you a PM.

Edit: so as not to waste this post on a circlejerk, the cookie aisle is easy: Everything that has the Nabisco logo in the corner goes to them, the few warehouse items go to the store, the specialty poo poo is Kehe and says so on the shelftag, everything else is Kellogg.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jun 16, 2015

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008
I got this monstrosity jammed into my tiny mailbox the other day.

First of all, its nearly 2 feet long, shiny, and gaudy as hell. It is pretty much impossible to ignore it like regular junk mail.

Aside from the location, all of the text on the bottom half is the hilarious scummy advertising. I especially like the limit of 2 per household. I better stock up!

But the clincher is the scratch-off game on the top. You might see that I won! But I knew that before I bothered because I don't think anyone ever loses. They get people all excited they are now $25,000 richer and all they need to do is go into the car dealership during the event to claim their prize. But if you read the fine print on the other side, you see all I won was the chance to play another scratch-off game where I can win the advertised $25,000 (odds 1:593,775) or the other lesser amounts (1:65,000 each). Just in case you are angry or do happen to read that ahead of time, even if you lose, you get free headphones valued at $19.95! You can't lose!

The other side has some ads for some of the cars they have for sale photos for illustrative purposes only. Due to ad deadlines these cars may already be sold and the game rules in fine print on the bottom. And a $2,000 down payment assistance offer exclusive to Preferred Customer or Current Resident

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The ones around here usually also come with a key glued to them, which may open a car at [%LOCAL DEALERSHIP%].

It's all just a ploy to get you on the lot so their salesmen can go to work on you, of course.

Commission-based sales are pretty scummy. One summer I took pictures of cars for the local "pre-owned" dealerships' newspaper ads, and every time I drove up all the salesmen ran out the door like vultures, and then looked really disappointed when they saw it was me. They did always offer me a deal when pointing out the cars I was to photograph.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Delivery McGee posted:

Commission-based sales are pretty scummy. One summer I took pictures of cars for the local "pre-owned" dealerships' newspaper ads, and every time I drove up all the salesmen ran out the door like vultures, and then looked really disappointed when they saw it was me. They did always offer me a deal when pointing out the cars I was to photograph.

Commission-based car sales make for great Idiots on Social Media, though. Someone I knew from high school is constantly talking poo poo about anyone with a "salary" or "paycheck" or "noncompetitive income," posts a photo of one or two sales per year, and then whines the rest of the time that he's making less than $10k a year.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some types of soft drinks also sell bottling rights to various companies. Dr. Pepper comes to mind; in some places it's bottled by Pepsi, in some by Coke.
And in Australia, Pepsi Co drinks are bottled by Schweppes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
In Texas, Dr Pepper (they got rid of the . in the '80s) has their own bottlers and every restaurant has it. It's really weird going to another state and getting it in Pepsi bottles.

• Locked thread