Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Hey, Big State University, quit selling my goddamn resume to anyone and everyone who asks for it.

"Oh we just need to keep it on file Fai don't worry"

Oh really? Then why, less than a week after I submitted it as a mandatory requirement for graduation, am I being loving bombarded by MLMs and other shitheads offering me "high paying positions" without mentioning who they are and what the job I've been "hand-picked" for is?

Also, quit letting obvious spam into my university email even though I've marked countless emails from the same address as spam. You're not loving fooling anybody. "This sender has been marked as a spammer! No further emails will DING new email from spammer@spam.com HEY LOOKING FOR HOUSING NEXT SEMESTER IT'S NOT TOO LATE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I leave the bottom ads be unless they're loving aggro-gator ads

who is clicking on that poo poo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What the hell? That's terrible. What's even the point of a resume before you've graduated?

Here's what mine would have looked like:

Education:
-attended Blahblah University, 1991 to 1995*
Work Experience:
-none
Skills:
-only one in the room who can make coffee while on 3 hits of LSD

*pending

To make sure you, as a new graduate, are marketable (so their job placement numbers go up)? Or because the university has a deal with someone who's harvesting all the personal info from the resumes? Maybe both? All I know is I keep getting emails and phone calls from obvious scam companies trying to "hire" me and not a single one of them will tell me what their company does until I fill out an application :laugh:

"Hi this is Heather calling from [some acronym] Corporation! We found your resume on your school's website! We have an immediate opening for you at our Chicago location! I'm calling to verify that you received our email!"

"I got all three of your emails. I'm not moving to Chicago to work for a company I've never heard of. What do you even do?"

*script activated*

"Well, Fai, I'm glad you asked! We're [some acronym] Corporation, with locations all around the U.S. We pride ourselves on integrity, ingenuity, and thinking outside the box!"

"That's nice, but what does your company do?"

"I'll send you an application, and once you complete it, one of our personnel managers will get in touch with you to answer your questions!"

"What job would I even be applying for?"

"Just fill out the application, and once it's submitted--"

*click*

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Blech. Sorry you gotta deal with that, FAI.

As I mentioned in my last post, I went to college back in ye olden days of the early 90's. We also had the tables offering credit cards in the student union or cafeteria, but even scummier was how they had some deal with the college bookstore to get their ads stuffed into every purchase. Like, you bought books or a sweatshirt or whatever at the campus store, and you'd have half a dozen ads for VISA/MC/AMEX already in the bag, promising "no interest! for the first 6 months". I'm older and wiser now, but when I was a 17 year old, drunk on freedom and jello shots and all "woohoo, I'm a grown-up, gonna get me some credit cards!", I signed up for a bunch and paid the price when I was in crazy debt several years later. :( Yeah, I was young and stupid, but it's pretty scummy to stuff ads into your required bag of textbooks and prey on teenagers who don't know better.

I'm glad that lots of places have rules against that kind of thing now. I got my first degree back in the olden days, too, and back then, it was nearly impossible to avoid bumping into someone trying to sign you up for a credit card. At the union, in the dining halls, outside classroom buildings--even going door-to-door in the dorms. Being young and stupid as hell, I fell for one, too. It was back before the economy turned to poo poo, so they were happy to give me an instant $4,000 credit line. I couldn't manage to pay it off completely until after I finished graduate school, nearly six years later.

They know young people are loving idiots, though, and that's why they target them. Four grand buys a lot of pizza and beer :downs:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ladron posted:

That's my story, hope you liked it.

I did like it, and I'm glad you are ok :ohdear:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Apocadall posted:

Vector marketing has been plastering ads all around my campus offering "$16/hr with no experience required!". Does that count for scummy?

Yep. They're awful.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Grraarrgghh posted:

Goddamn I know Australia is some sort of internet wasteland, but 1.5Mbps internet in the motherfucking USA???

Technolords love :canada:

There are lots of places where the infrastructure just isn't there yet. We're working on it. I'm in rural Illinois and I get 30/6, which is handy when I want to download the state crop report or upload photos of Uncle Cledus's fifth wedding

The strange thing about it is that it's Comcast, and it performs exactly as advertised :tinfoil:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

No it is am actual measurable effect. If someone paid more for something or even think it is more expensive it tastes/works better. Name brand pain relievers actually work better than generic because of this, and it is practically the entire basis of the high end wine industry. Human brains and the placebo effect are very complex and downright strange and should not be discounted.

The wine industry example is great because once in a while you'll see a Dateline-esque show or sometimes even a local news affiliate run a blind test with professional wine tasters and they always get everything wrong. "That wine you said you wouldn't pay more than five bucks a bottle for? That's a $450 a bottle [rare wine name] you just drank!"

Of course, when they can read the bottle (and the pricetag), they suddenly recognize the nuanced flavors, delectable aroma, etc.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, like I'm seeing A&W in two places

A&W is a soft drink brand as well as a fast food chain. They're actually two separate things, but the fast food chain does serve A&W soft drink brands, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

pastor of muppets posted:

One night, a group of four or five women came in dressed in pink. They kept talking about how they were at the mall for a work-related convention and kept saying things like, "Yup, we're always on the clock and working hard! We're just popping in to see what we want to spend our HUGE BONUSES on!"

Few things in life feel better than intentionally not biting when a multi-level marketer is trying his or her best to bait you.

Seriously, showerbeers (goon-declared "best thing ever") are great, but having someone repeat poo poo like "Well yeah I just got a HUGE BONUS at my job, you know, the one with the really flexible hours, so I'm kind of set for cash for a while...wish I had an extra set of hands though, you know, like, I wish I had someone like you onboard to help me spend all this money" and just smiling and saying "That's wonderful, have a good day!" is loving amazing.

• Locked thread