Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Also, speaking of sales, is it just me, or is everything at department stores like Kohl's always on sale, constantly? Like, to the point where things aren't technically even sale prices anymore?

This is apparently a thing with clothing stores in particular. Younker's has the same issue, where pretty much everything is either on sale, or has a coupon that can be used on it. At one point, somebody in the company actually thought "Hey. Maybe we should just lower all our prices and stop spending money on ads for sales that aren't really sales." The result was an overall loss of revenue and customers complaining about there not being sales anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

It was Jc Penney that tried "honest advertising" and wound up bombing. Turns out that yes, people would rather buy a $40 top for 50% off than they would buy the same top for a sticker price of $18. :cripes:

Oh snap. You're right. My bad. Had the wrong store in my head.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

waldo pepper posted:

My favorite technique is the insurance companies that advertise stuff like "customers who switched saved an average of $300," because it's this great example of skewed sampling. Even if your insurance is more expensive for 90% of people, you can still make it sound like you're offering the better deal. Some marketing dude must have gotten a nice promotion for coming up with it.

They can also create that number by providing introductory rates that change after a year or so.

Speaking of, I kind of hate the cable companies around where I'm at for that stuff. You can get Internet and TV for $25/month (for one year, then it goes up by about $70)!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Chadina posted:

Chain grocery stores seem to be big offenders of this and take it to the next level by offering things like "10/$10" when you don't need to actually buy 10, they are just $1 each. Its much more scummy because you don't get a better price by buying multiple.

In my experience that's what people expect, though? Working convenience stores, you get people all the time saying "Hey this says two for a dollar, so one is only 50 cents, right?" Then you have to point out the lil' price and they get pissed. Seems less scummy to offer the sale price no matter the quantity you buy.

• Locked thread