Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

8-year-old me just could not master that split second where you punched him the gut. If you ducked, he'd do this the whole round. Then the AI cheated and you never could beat him by decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
That feeling when you've sat up playing SNES half the night, staring at the tv, and every bright colour starts giving you a splitting headache.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Content:

Failing to convince my mom to rent a game for me called MAXIMUM CARNAGE.

I tried in vain to reassure her it was just an exaggerated* name for a cool Spider-Man adventure.

*I realize the comic book version def seems to have been pretty violent though?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
When that little fucker at the playground offers to trade games and you bike across town to find out he's only got the wrong title and/or system despite claiming otherwise. :mad:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing Street Fighter 2: Turbo on 8 stars, and having Guile walking towards you and then throwing a Sonic Boom.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Tank for NES had mention in it's manual of a two player mode. It did not have a two player mode. My friend and I spent hours trying to figure out how to activate the two player mode. I'm still pissed.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

whiteyfats posted:

Playing Street Fighter 2: Turbo on 8 stars, and having Guile walking towards you and then throwing a Sonic Boom.

or walking forwards/backwards into an instant flash kick.

gently caress fighting game AI in general never having to actually charge their moves that require charging

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dietrich posted:

Iron Tank for NES had mention in it's manual of a two player mode. It did not have a two player mode. My friend and I spent hours trying to figure out how to activate the two player mode. I'm still pissed.

The back of the Karate Champ box for NES showing the bonus stage with the bull. This does not exist in the NES version and these screenshots are actually taken from the arcade version which has different, slightly better graphics.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
The "Bramble Blast" stage in Donkey Kong 2. It probably wasn't hard for everyone else but holy gently caress it bugged the hell out of me as a kid. I could never figure out the barrels and kept hitting the spiked edges, man gently caress that parrot.

Actually there were a lot of things about Donkey Kong that annoyed me as a child. I think I was just bad at the game.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

mamelon posted:

Failing to convince my mom to rent a game for me called MAXIMUM CARNAGE.

I tried in vain to reassure her it was just an exaggerated* name for a cool Spider-Man adventure.

*I realize the comic book version def seems to have been pretty violent though?

Mom wouldn't buy me Bloody Roar: Primal Fury

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The Battletoads cart racing course was my nemesis.

I eventually beat it on an emulator by slowing it down to the appropriate speed, but that was like 10 years later.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Being an only child and having to play with/against my uncle who was much more skilled than me or with/against my cousins who were much younger & LESS skilled than me. :smith:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The spinner in the game of LIFE. The lube always dried up between games, so you spend the first 5 minutes cleaning and re-lubing it so it will spin more than one god drat revolution.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

i traded a holo blastoise for a friggin machamp in kindergarden. this made me into the resentful monster I am today

oh yeah and then my loving brother took the machamp because he said he traded it to that kid. fuckkkkkk

I traded a Porygon for a holo Blastoise. Then his mom came over later and I had to trade back. gently caress you, Nick.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Yeet posted:

The "Bramble Blast" stage in Donkey Kong 2. It probably wasn't hard for everyone else but holy gently caress it bugged the hell out of me as a kid. I could never figure out the barrels and kept hitting the spiked edges, man gently caress that parrot.

Actually there were a lot of things about Donkey Kong that annoyed me as a child. I think I was just bad at the game.

Animal Antics in DKC2 was pretty much Bramble Blast + 4 additional levels tacked on. I think I actually cried over it when I was little? The name of the level has stuck with me for 20 years because of how hard it was. Same with "Tubular" in Super Mario World. Fuckin' baseball players.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

LloydDobler posted:

The spinner in the game of LIFE. The lube always dried up between games, so you spend the first 5 minutes cleaning and re-lubing it so it will spin more than one god drat revolution.

You had to use lube on a plastic spinner? Did that game come with some bottle of lube that I didn't know about? Could you really not spin a penny worth of plastic hard enough? Are you sure your childhood gaming complaint isn't "I was bitch-made"?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Grem posted:

You had to use lube on a plastic spinner? Did that game come with some bottle of lube that I didn't know about? Could you really not spin a penny worth of plastic hard enough? Are you sure your childhood gaming complaint isn't "I was bitch-made"?

The "spinner" was just what his uncle called it. No one's had the heart to tell him what really happened to him at his uncle's cabin every summer.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When my private tutor made me play leapfrog. I hated that game.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Grem posted:

Instructions to oil it are literally molded right in to the plastic. I could read as a child.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

When my private tutor made me play leapfrog. I hated that game.

He never quite managed to leap over you, as much as he tried.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dietrich posted:

The programmer probably couldn't work it in because he was hella mad. Hidden in the RAM is this rant:

quote:

PROG. NO KNT DESU.
NINTENDO NO BOKE AHO-KASU SHINE TSUBURERO-
FAMICOM NANKA KIRAIDA-!
Aho no Mr.T!! Koroshitannen!

It translates to "This is the programmer, KNT. Those rear end in a top hat scum Nintendo fools! Die! Go bankrupt! I hate the Famicom!! That idiot, Mr. T!! He fuckin' killed it!"

So perhaps the manual was written before KNT lost his marbles.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I had one of those cool 3rd-party PS1 memory cards that let you hit the shoulder buttons to change partitions so that you could have like four times the storage space in a single card.

Then it dies and took my FFIX save that was on Disc 4.

also gently caress playing against Gon in Tekken 3, having to crouch the whole match just to hit the guy and he just spams the spin move to win!!! or farts at me

the beach volleyball mode was amazing though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

First time I beat it I loving cheered loudly and I think I even told my mom about it for some reason

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I bought a new GPU with my money in like '98. Except I was a kid and didn't bother checking to see if it would even work on my motherboard.
So disappointed.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Adults pronouncing it "Mare-eo" instead of "Marr-io."

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The fuckin disappearing/reappearing blocks jumping puzzles in Mega Man games were always wicked hard for me (because i suck tbh)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JebanyPedal posted:

I bought a new GPU with my money in like '98. Except I was a kid and didn't bother checking to see if it would even work on my motherboard.
So disappointed.

I done the same thing. Needed PCI, bought AGP. :negative:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The falling block autoscroll level in castlevania 3.

Childhood me could never anticipate where the blocks would fall, and I'd either die at the bottom of the screen as it scrolled up, and die of health loss.

Never went back either, it's probably much less annoying than I remember

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Disney games' second-to-last and final levels always seemed to do me in. Never beat Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Toy Story 2 and many more.

It didn't help that I rented most of them, so I was playing under time pressure too. "One more level dad, I know the shop closes in like 15 minutes but COME ON"

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Dying/falling into pits because 90's 3D games usually had lovely cameras

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"You're a girl, you have to be the Pink Ranger." gently caress you Alex, the Yellow Ranger's a girl too :colbert: ... as far as we know, being kids in the U.S.

Also, playing on the Game Boy meant finding just the right source of light to see the screen once the sun went down (or just being SOL on long road trips), or attaching some kind of massive peripheral device that shone a light directly on the screen and made the whole thing unwieldy.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Playing a game you're absolutely loving.

*Please insert Disk 2*

Sure. Cant wait to continue I'm loving it.

*Nothing... Disk 2's hosed*

Oh come on!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, playing on the Game Boy meant finding just the right source of light to see the screen once the sun went down (or just being SOL on long road trips), or attaching some kind of massive peripheral device that shone a light directly on the screen and made the whole thing unwieldy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterburner_%28modification_kit%29

BITCH

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Animal Antics in DKC2 was pretty much Bramble Blast + 4 additional levels tacked on. I think I actually cried over it when I was little? The name of the level has stuck with me for 20 years because of how hard it was. Same with "Tubular" in Super Mario World. Fuckin' baseball players.

No matter how many times I 100% cleared SMW that goddamn level had me almost in tears well into my late teens.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
When the lovely constant 98% humidity shorts your save battery and you lose everything. The memory card was Sony's best invention ever.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
"Let your little brother play on your Gameboy for a while."

Informer
Jun 8, 2011

Look at this guy playing a game boy with COLOR.

For real though, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was my first GBA game and I would have killed for a backlight for it.

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
Controller fights. Like my Xbox is flail, eat hard plastik.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Seriously Safe posted:

"Let your little brother play on your Gameboy for a while."

RIP your Pokemon save file :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Meat Circus in Psychonauts.

I just want to have fun playing your stupid loving game.

• Locked thread