Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I'll take the Jags. Been meaning to dig more into the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Huh, JAX might be harder than I thought. Lot of young guys on the roster without a clear sense of how good they can be.

Like, the O-line LOOKED like a train wreck last year, but the front office apparently really likes the talent they have coming through (outside of right tackle probably). Luke Joeckel and Brandon Linder are the real deal, and Zane Beadles just signed a big contract. The CBs (Colvin/McCray) look promising, and the safeties could be alright too (though who knows).

Outside of drafting DL at the top of the first and taking all the linebackers (I like Telvin Smith though), there's a lot of tough choices to make. Do they take a WR, or keep rolling with Hurns/Robinson/Lee? If Gurley/Gordon is there at the top of the second, do they take him (presumably over signing a FA in a year or two)? Do they take LB before RT, at the risk of having JAG instead of a potentially above-average line?

Halp.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Plot twist: FA RT (lol) Parnell looks set to sign with Jags. Huge gamble, but he was PFF's right tackle #7 last season, so who knows, maybe he'll pay off. Orange Julius can't block for poo poo but he's tall and fast so maybe Bort can just hit him over the middle a dozen times per game. Both high risk high reward signings.

This sounds crazy, but the Jags might not have a big positional need other than one DL, two linebackers, and a FS.

How is this team losing so much? I don't understand!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Any Raider goons want to PM me on draft strats, go nuts. or email me s0nicron@yahoo.com

Take Cooper.

As the Jags, I feel compelled to go against nearly all of the draft advice I just detailed in the prospect thread, and will take an edge rusher third overall.

I really hope the Jags trade down, like Bradley keeps saying he wants to.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

are you talking about real or goon draft? cause i can confirm that leonard williams will not make it pasted pick 2 in the goon draft as long as the titans have that pick

Nonsense, take Gurley. Whisenhunt would love his footwork. I'm sure the ACL ain't no thang.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Warcrimes, it's time for you to pick up Cooper your turn to draft.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Yeah that is a fun pick. A+

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

For fun, I took the (harmonic) mean of the rankings of 6 of the major big boards floating around, and made one big aggregated Big Board.

It really likes our draft so far. But it does also think I took Fowler too early (and that Gregory fell too far).

It also really likes the Peat and Gordon picks, but says the DGB was probably a bit of a reach. It doesn't know wtf for Stephone Anthony.

Finally, it thinks there are two glaring omissions so far that will be steals at this point.

edit: if anybody is interested, the aggregate top 15 (since they're already drafted and it doesn't matter this point) is:
Williams
Mariota
Winston
Gregory
Cooper
White
Fowler
Ray (high variance)
Scherff
Collins
Beasley
Gordon (high variance)
Waynes
Shelton
Parker

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 20, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Sort of surprised by how the first round is going, but I'm happy to beef up the Saints D. I wonder if the two guys I still want will be there in round 2....who knows?

Yeah, Gregory/JCollins is a pretty excellent haul.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I didn't see an attractive pass rusher which is what I wanted but I'm more than happy to get Clemmings in the second. OL was a big need.

Clemmings in the 2nd is a steal, and it's hard to go wrong with solid lineman. Speaking of which...

edit: just give me ALL THE FLORIDA DUDES. Watch me take Quinton Dunbar next.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 20, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

FWIW there should be a player available at your spot that would be a justifiable reach.

Also, for those interested, the little aggregate big board I made still identifies one remaining clear first round pick that would be pretty good value at this point.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

KettleWL posted:

So I've got two options here if anyone doesn't mind picking for me after Beer does? I'm going to be heading out for a few hours in about 30, I can send you my two choices in PM.

I don't have pm but I'm pretty sure you can email me through our shared league. You're welcome to if nobody else is able. Just give me your choice for players in order and I'll give you the highest.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

KettleWL posted:

Sent, thanks man.

Nice choices. Got you covered.

edit: oh hey, Beer was quick if you're still around.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Alright Kettle I'm assuming you are away, so here I go on your behalf.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I am clueless who to take at the point. My draft board was just slaughtered.

Just don't touch Kyle Christy, I need him for my Florida reunion team. And also punters are rad.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

korrandark posted:

You do know he's classified as a WR, right?

All the cool kids decided he's secretly a TE months ago.

Not that it matters much in practice. Not like Graham is run blocking much more than WRs or something.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Round 2 is over!

drat, hoping Abdullah would fall to the early 3rd.

My day is pretty packed. Does somebody have an email I can send my picks choices to?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

KettleWL posted:

I got your back, same method I emailed you if you'd like.

Thanks. Couldn't find "email owner" in my phone app, so I just posted my choice to the league wall. Thanks for covering!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

KettleWL posted:

Picked for Forever_Peace. No problem, glad to return the favor!

Warcrimes is up

Thank you kindly!

I would have preferred Abdullah for the Jags because I like his versatility, but Coleman there is good value and his Chris Ivory style violent approach to hitting the gap should work out pretty well for a team with a decent oline.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Fun round for Seattle.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Ya'll are gonna be super salty when I pick the guy you're hoping falls to you.

In fact, I happen to be a Pats fan, and would be happy to offer my services for the current pick if sean10mm is MIA for another day. That way, I can take both of the guys you were hoping would fall to you (one for the Pats, then one for the Jags).

I would intend to just take BPA for both.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I "happen to be" a Pats fan.

No. You ARE a Pats fan, you "happen to be" a piece of human garbage.

“Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.” - Bill Belichick

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I'm out, go hog wild.

Any objections or other folks who want to step in? I am already drafting for the Jags, but would have no problem taking the Pats for these last few rounds to just keep things moving along.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Didn't want to hold things up forever so I just made the pick. Sean10mm picked up some solid WRs, an RB, and an OG already, so I'll start working on defense. There's a pretty good chance Mario JR gets taken a good round ahead of this, so I'll take that value all day. Warcimes is on the clock.

Again, just holler if you'd rather I not be drafting for two teams for these last couple of rounds.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

OK I lied. The BPA was probably a tackle, but I already took a tackle in the 2nd and if I'm honest, Dante Fowler is probably going to be a bust anyways, so I took another edge guy. Dude has stomp and verve and will probably be the best hi-five buddy that Gus Bradley has ever had the honor of bro-ing around with.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Because this.

Forever_Peace posted:

Ya'll are gonna be super salty when I pick the guy you're hoping falls to you.

Edit: take the tackle.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

D Smith could turn out to be the steal of the draft so far. If I hadn't already taken an OT in the 2nd that I liked, I'd be all over him. He was clearly the BPA, but Lorenzo was too good of a fit at too good if a value to pass up.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I checked the list of drafted players twice because I figured there was no way he could still be there.

Lol, I actually meant Donovan Smith, who went the pick before you. But D'Juan was good there too.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

swickles posted:

Anyone who wants to draft for the Pats while sean10mm is away just post here first. Otherwise, since its New England they will be drafting whatever Rutgers players have entered the draft.

Oh, that's me. Give me a bit...

edit: oh wow ok I know exactly who we're getting. Can't believe he's not gone already.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I gotta say, this one really feels like a true Pats pick. Fills a position of future need with a high-value mid-round guy who can be a core special teams contributor right off the bat. I actually had him on my Jags big board, but I gotta play this fair.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Wow, flurry of activity this weekend. On to the 5th I guess!

Warcrimes, you're up buddy.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Oh my god, mods please change my name to "scurrilous hippie".

TIA.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Since it's gonna be a while until my next pick (if ever), I'm just going to put this here to make for easier bragging in the future.

JAX team needs going into the draft: DE, OLB, RB, OL, FS, ILB, probably in that order.

Picks:
1.3 Dante Fowler Jr, DE (3)
2.4 D.J. Humphries, OT (36)
3.3 Tevin Coleman, RB (67)
4.4 Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB (103)
5.3 James Sample, SS (139)

Addressed the top 4 needs and I felt pretty good about value. Starting to hate the Fowler pick but what can you do. Needed a FS but Sample was impossible to pass up in the 5th so I fudged a little. Still need a Guard and an ILB.

NE team needs going into the draft: DT, CB, WR, DE, OL, ILB, RB, OLB, S.

sean10mm had taken:
1.32 Sammie Coates, WR
2.32 Ameer Abdullah, RB
3.32 Jamison Crowder, WR
3.33 Daryl Williams, OG

That leaves defense for when I took over:
4.2 Mario Edwards Jr., DL (101)
4.32 Kwon Alexander, OLB (131)

Still need a CB but there should be some late round guys with a bit of promise. Kwon was not a particularly high priority position, but I felt that he was the BPA so why not.

My gut tells me this was right around a B/B+ draft. I think I nabbed some good value (rounds 2-4 for JAX feel pretty good), but Fowler has the potential to be an expensive bust at #3 overall, and I'm not that convinced on Mario either. Sample could end up being one of the steals of the draft, but he could also be a wash, because honestly he's just not that athletic, and didn't fill a position of need for JAX so a lucky breakout wouldn't even provide that much marginal utility (I did, however, swoop in over Warcrimes, so there's always that).

Here's hoping I look like a genius later though!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rasczak posted:

Since I doubt this thing makes it to my 6th round pick before the draft, I'm going to summarize the Cowboys draft so far.

Team needs going into the draft:

CB, RB, DT, FS, LB, OT, QB

1.27: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
2.60: Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State
3.91: Alex Carter, CB, Stanford
4.127: Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State
5.164: Mike Hull, OLB/ILB, Penn State

Dallas' biggest needs going into the draft are at several positions on defense, as well as at RB with the loss of Murray. I would've been content to draft a RB later due to the depth this year, but Gordon was easily BPA at that pick in the 1st. Bennett should help with the anemic pass rush along with the Hardy signing (sigh), and the defensive backfield should be improved as well with both Carter and Smith (the latter probably being a late-3rd/early-4th round pick in the actual draft). Smith can also contribute on punt returns which is needed after the departure of Dwayne Harris. Finally, the team needs depth at LB after losing Durant and Carter, and Hull was probably a steal in the 5th who has the additional bonus of potentially backing up/playing both Mike and Will. They still need another OT either through draft or FA after losing Parnell, and they should continue churning the roster at backup QB because Brandon fuckin' Weeden.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to add DE to the list of needs considering the uncertainty of the Hardy situation, who the hell knows there. If he gets his poo poo straight, Hardy and Demarcus Lawrence would otherwise be a good duo at DE.

These are some great picks. You swiped a lot of the guys I was hoping would fall, and got good value pretty much everywhere.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Bragging time: JAX did indeed take Fowler (but literally everybody knew they would already), my #36 pick (Humphries) was taken at 24, and my 3rd round pick (Coleman) and 4th round pick for the Pats (Mario) are expected to go tomorrow in the 2nd, my 4.32 pick (Kwon) and 5th round pick (Sample) are now both being projected for the early 3rd, and Mauldin (4th) is being projected as a late third. If that all pans out... #winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

So I decided it would be fun to do a post-mortem, comparing goon draft picks to where players actually went. Not as much fun as retrospective looks a few years down the line, but I used the curve of expected approximate value (AV) over 5 years per pick to calculate how different the picks were in units in perceived value (by NFL teams).

My Picks:
JAX
Dante Fowler Jr, DE - picked at 3, went at 3 (no marginal value)
D.J. Humphries, OT - picked at 36, went at 24 (2.6 marginal AV)
Tevin Coleman, RB picked at 67, went at 73 (-0.5 marginal AV)
Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB picked at 103, went at 82 (1.4 marginal AV)
James Sample, SS picked at 139, went at 104 (1.8 marginal AV)

NE
Mario Edwards Jr., DL picked at 101, went at 35 (6.8 marginal AV)
Kwon Alexander, OLB picked at 131, went at 124 (0.3 marginal AV)

Net marginal AV: 12.4, equivalent to pick 1.32.

But I got the sense that Beer4TheBeerGod might have had the best draft out of all of us, so I did his too.
1.5: Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson, went at 8 (-2.9 marginal AV)
2.6: Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest, went at 16 (5.5 marginal AV)
3.5: Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M, went at 21 (7.6 marginal AV)
4.5: D'Joun Smith, CB, FAU, went at 65 (3 marginal AV)
5.5: Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina, went at 126 (0.7 marginal AV)

Net marginal AV: 13.9, equivalent to pick 1.26. And he did it in two fewer picks.
Seriously his first three guys were all taken in the early and middle portions of the first round.

Anybody think they beat Beer here? I'm ready to declare a provisional winner.

• Locked thread