Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Scarce will water be when Frykte is old?
Normal
Extremely scarce
There will be lots of water to drink
Hmm, not sure
View Results

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
How scarce will water be when I'm old? Let's say 2050. I'd put more effort into my OP but I don't know anything about scarcity but I thought it'd be a good topic. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Where do you live in 2050?

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Did it rain that specific day?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha old? Who do you think you are?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Anosmoman posted:

Where do you live in 2050?

Let's say I'll live in uhh Alberta Canada. I hadn't even considered that different geographical locations would have different amounts of scarcity... Which places will have the most water and which places will have the least? Are there countries that I should avoid if I want to be able to drink water when I'm old?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frykte posted:

Let's say I'll live in uhh Alberta Canada. I hadn't even considered that different geographical locations would have different amounts of scarcity... Which places will have the most water and which places will have the least? Are there countries that I should avoid if I want to be able to drink water when I'm old?

are you living the US/Canada/Western Europe? congrats you have water

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

are you living the US/Canada/Western Europe? congrats you have water

As much water as I have now?? (a lot)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You should move to the ocean. I hear there is lots of water there.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I forgot to put this in the title, but I meant drinking water specifically. I don't know if you're making a joke because by 2050 perhaps we'll be able to use technology to drink ocean water??

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frykte posted:

As much water as I have now?? (a lot)

Yes

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

This is a huge relief, thanks! How bad will it be for people who aren't in Canada/US/Western Europe??

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Will corporations own a lot of the water? What about rich people??

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
depends how much piss you are willing to drink. a glass? a bottle? a MAGNUM?? bless

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Frykte posted:

I forgot to put this in the title, but I meant drinking water specifically. I don't know if you're making a joke because by 2050 perhaps we'll be able to use technology to drink ocean water??
Have you tried just not being a pussy? A little salt is good for you.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Frykte posted:

This is a huge relief, thanks! How bad will it be for people who aren't in Canada/US/Western Europe??

Depends.

quote:

Will corporations own a lot of the water? What about rich people??
Depends. No.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Hopefully we'll all be rendered into carbon by The War Against The Machines.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
What about all of my children? Will they run out of water in their lives? grandchildren?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frykte posted:

What about all of my children? Will they run out of water in their lives? grandchildren?

your children are ugly stupid assholes. their death is a good thing. bless bro

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Sergg posted:

Hopefully we'll all be rendered into carbon by The War Against The Machines.

Can it be mutated alien machines? I don't want to be rendered into carbon by Windows 82.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Frykte posted:

Have you ever seen the movie "Tank Girl"? Their lives would be like that.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
There will be very nearly exactly the same amount of water on Earth as there is now.

Where are you afraid it's going to go?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smudgie Buggler posted:

There will be very nearly exactly the same amount of water on Earth as there is now.

Where are you afraid it's going to go?

Water, now with new Fracking Additive. It does the body good!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Alberta's probably in trouble because the glacial melt will run out by the time you're old OP.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Rich people will stick a straw on you and drink you dry.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Op, I heard a saying the other day, maybe it's a help?

"Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The world will be a desert and all who live here will wear evap suits to conserve water. Once you die we will take you water and pass it out to those who still live. We will all ride giant worms and mine spice.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

This is a good point, OP are you expecting a zombie or sand worm future? If the former then yes I assume the umbrella corporation will own the water, poo poo it's in their name.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
lmao if you don't have stillsuits yet for your grandkids.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
He who controls the waters of life, controls the universe.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

If you're worried, start putting away a few water bottles every month, and invest in a water bed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think if you look in the mirror, you will have an italics-at-the-end-of-Lovecaft-story-like revelation discovering that you are, in fact, old right now!!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Basically, op, it depends on what city you live in. In the Alberta Civil War of 2048 Calgarian Khanate detonates a dirty bomb up the North Saskatchewan river, rendering most of Edmonton's water supply undrinkable.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Not gonna lie, one of pluses of getting moved to Virginia from Phoenix was that I would get out of an area that was a walking water crisis. Spending the previous 20 years in Phoenix taught me to appreciate water, loathe golf courses, and fear for the longevity of the West.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
We'll all be fine (in the west) once we get our heads out of our asses and start using nuclear fission for industrial scale desalination of ocean water, just like those gulf countries do. The solution is to literally boil the ocean.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
the water must flow

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My neighbor likes to tell me that San Diego is a desert. I can't convince him that just because it doesn't rain a lot, it is most certainly not a loving desert. All he has to do is walk outside any night and see the condensation covering everything. But noooooo, that isn't real water. (We live about a mile from the coast).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Turnquiet posted:

Not gonna lie, one of pluses of getting moved to Virginia from Phoenix was that I would get out of an area that was a walking water crisis. Spending the previous 20 years in Phoenix taught me to appreciate water, loathe golf courses, and fear for the longevity of the West.

golf courses are the cadillac welfare queens of water conservation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

My neighbor likes to tell me that San Diego is a desert. I can't convince him that just because it doesn't rain a lot, it is most certainly not a loving desert. All he has to do is walk outside any night and see the condensation covering everything. But noooooo, that isn't real water. (We live about a mile from the coast).

That doesn't make it not a desert, it's merely a desert on the coastline. You get just 10 inches of rain a year, many large desert regions in the US get up to 12 inches a year.

Anyway, OP, conssult this map for who's likely to end up with insufficent water in the near future (20 years):

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
No worries OP. If we run out of water, some future corp will just de-orbit a few ice asteroids into the planet. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pohl posted:

You're kidding right? San Diego, and in fact much of Southern California, is a desert. It's not a sand-dune desert like you see in the movies, but the amount of rain it gets throughout the year (~10 inches) absolutely makes it a desert.

Seriously, the only question you have to ask is this: "What would this place look like if it wasn't for the massive amounts of water we're importing from the north?" The answer is something like this:

• Locked thread