Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Scarce will water be when Frykte is old?
Normal
Extremely scarce
There will be lots of water to drink
Hmm, not sure
View Results

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I have already begun stockpiling pallets of bottled water in anticipation of the Water Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

:eng101:Water can be obtained by melting ice!

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Analyzing the poll is a little tricky because I just realized that 2 of the options are basically the same answer. "Normal" and "There will be lots of water to drink" are equivalent so it's actually about over 55% people think that the drinkable water supply will be OK. Still, there's almost one third of people who think there's going to be lots of trouble!

Mr. Pool posted:

We'll all be fine (in the west) once we get our heads out of our asses and start using nuclear fission for industrial scale desalination of ocean water, just like those gulf countries do. The solution is to literally boil the ocean.

Can we really boil the ocean? Do we know for sure we haven't reached the 'end of the desalinization tech-tree'? (Nice relevant username!)

Smudgie Buggler posted:

There will be very nearly exactly the same amount of water on Earth as there is now.

Where are you afraid it's going to go?

I forgot to say "Drinkable available water" in the topic and original post but that's what I meant. It doesn't need to leave the planet it just needs to somehow be hoarded by government or corporations or one powerful person.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

katlington posted:

:eng101:Water can be obtained by melting ice!

Does this mean global warming is actually a good thing for our water supply?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Hey kids, do you like Star Wars? Let me tell you about the exciting prospects in moisture farming...

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
We already can drink seawater the process to make it drinkable is merely too expensive to make most places consider doing it rather than draining the local aquifer for pennies. They are building a desalination plant in California and the estimates are that water from it (which can support 10% of the local water-need) is 80% more expensive than the water shipped in from the colorado river basin. There are other places that already use the technology, but it's universally because logistically speaking they don't have any other choice. Once again the bottom line is in the way of progress.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nathilus posted:

We already can drink seawater the process to make it drinkable is merely too expensive to make most places consider doing it rather than draining the local aquifer for pennies. They are building a desalination plant in California and the estimates are that water from it (which can support 10% of the local water-need) is 80% more expensive than the water shipped in from the colorado river basin. There are other places that already use the technology, but it's universally because logistically speaking they don't have any other choice. Once again the bottom line is in the way of progress.

Yeah it's important to remember that "we can't do x" usually means "we can't do x at the current price, but the new price might not be too much higher than today".

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the saudis/quataris/emirates are already on it:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-23/saudis-start-production-at-world-s-biggest-desalination-plant

basically you just follow the solar cost curve out another few decades and use it to boil the ocean

edit: oh the yids too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination#Israel

quote:

By 2014, Israel's desalination programs provided roughly 35% of Israel's drinking water and it is expected to supply 40% by 2015 and 70% by 2050.[112]

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 7, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Don't do that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you aren't already bottling your piss you're basically dead.

Edit:

I've lived in Arizona most of my life and water conservation is emphasized in PSAs and school from a very young age.
This video made me extremely uncomfortable as a result:

Could This One Simple Trick Stop The Global Pollution Problem?

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 7, 2015

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
The averall watr in the hearth will be the exact same amount, the issue here is that there will be not enough with clean and drinkable water

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RattiRatto posted:

The averall watr in the hearth will be the exact same amount, the issue here is that there will be not enough with clean and drinkable water
The total amount of fresh water on Earth is roughly 35 million cubic kilometers, while the recommended water consumption is 3.7L/day. With a population of roughly 7 billion, it will take 3.7 million years before all the World's fresh water is turned into pee. There's no reason to worry.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
The problem is not the turning water into pee, but is rather the fact that the water get polluted by some kind of oil refinery before you drink it. So far only cars can drink some kind of refinment of black water

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's okay, the new app watr will disrupt drought and provide water to thirsty people with one tap

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I drink coke.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Potable water will, particularly in developed countries, be just as available then as it is now. It's just going to cost a lot more, which will jack up the prices of everything else, such as food.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

We need to find some way to make the water supply less reliant on the government. Perhaps we could sell the rights to Water(tm) to Nestlé and possibly incorporating blockchain technology so there is an anonymous public ledger of how much water each person has.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Dude, you are like 70 percent water, don't worry about it!

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
My bedroom flooded because my grandpa got too much toilet water on his bathroom floor. I wish his water were more scarce hahahah. Really though general consensus seems to be everything will be alright in regards do being able to drink water. Thanks

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Frykte posted:

My bedroom flooded because my grandpa got too much toilet water on his bathroom floor. I wish his water were more scarce hahahah. Really though general consensus seems to be everything will be alright in regards do being able to drink water. Thanks

Haha. "SURE IS COLD THIS WINTER" screams the global warming denier into the faceless storm. But it's correct in the case. Unless we somehow manage to pollute all the worlds oceans to the point that they can no longer take their proper part in the world's water cycles, we'll be fine due to desalination. It's merely expensive, not undoable. That said it isn't looking good for inland cities in many parts of the world.

Here in San Antonio and Austin for instance, we're only set to see slightly drier weather in the coming decades but we've already close to capped out our use of the local and very tasty edwards aquifer. It's a limestone sub-aquifer which means in everyday parlance that it owns fuckin' bones, but almost every summer now we use it right down to the red line of springs and poo poo drying up. Luckily we have environmental regulations (yes I know most texans won't believe this. its fine, gently caress you) that protect an endangered species of... I think its algae or something? Not sure.... anyway it lives in the springs that would dry up. So we kick in pretty hardcore regulations when that's about to happen. But the bad news is that the population of the areas that use the aquifer are still growing with no signs of slowing down.

Meanwhile, pretty much everywhere north of here up to what is REALLY loving cold in canada at the moment is set to experience significantly drier weather. Unless we develop free, instant water transporting technology its going to necessarily involve either significant amounts of money or significant population movement. But keep in mind, this is not unique in the history of humanity. Our understanding of climate change's effect on history is certainly no where near complete, but we know of at least several large-scale events that have required similar levels of change to societies. The hope is that with more mobile populations and modern planning/technology we can avoid the worst kinds of consequences like millions of people dying.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nathilus posted:

Haha. "SURE IS COLD THIS WINTER" screams the global warming denier into the faceless storm. But it's correct in the case. Unless we somehow manage to pollute all the worlds oceans to the point that they can no longer take their proper part in the world's water cycles, we'll be fine due to desalination. It's merely expensive, not undoable. That said it isn't looking good for inland cities in many parts of the world.

Here in San Antonio and Austin for instance, we're only set to see slightly drier weather in the coming decades but we've already close to capped out our use of the local and very tasty edwards aquifer. It's a limestone sub-aquifer which means in everyday parlance that it owns fuckin' bones, but almost every summer now we use it right down to the red line of springs and poo poo drying up. Luckily we have environmental regulations (yes I know most texans won't believe this. its fine, gently caress you) that protect an endangered species of... I think its algae or something? Not sure.... anyway it lives in the springs that would dry up. So we kick in pretty hardcore regulations when that's about to happen. But the bad news is that the population of the areas that use the aquifer are still growing with no signs of slowing down.

Meanwhile, pretty much everywhere north of here up to what is REALLY loving cold in canada at the moment is set to experience significantly drier weather. Unless we develop free, instant water transporting technology its going to necessarily involve either significant amounts of money or significant population movement. But keep in mind, this is not unique in the history of humanity. Our understanding of climate change's effect on history is certainly no where near complete, but we know of at least several large-scale events that have required similar levels of change to societies. The hope is that with more mobile populations and modern planning/technology we can avoid the worst kinds of consequences like millions of people dying.

Well yeah, settling in deserts and near-deserts is pretty stupid.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well yeah, settling in deserts and near-deserts is pretty stupid.

That's not so much the issue here. It's that formerly moderately wet places are going to be turning into near-deserts. There are other currently dry places that are also going to get wetter, but thats up north where the population is currently thin. These places that are going to be drying up include the current breadbasket of america.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Is there going to be lots of people moving from dry places to wet places?? Will there be places that become too wet because of global warming?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nathilus posted:

That's not so much the issue here. It's that formerly moderately wet places are going to be turning into near-deserts. There are other currently dry places that are also going to get wetter, but thats up north where the population is currently thin. These places that are going to be drying up include the current breadbasket of america.

If you live somewhere where you've had to rely on fossil aquifers heavily, you likely do not reside somewhere that would have been considered "moderately wet" by an ecologist within living memory.

Lots of texas is straight up dry, or on the borders of dry and acceptable, with excessive human population quickly reducing it to unsustainable long term. I posted a full desertificiation risk map earlier in the thread, much of Texas is "moderate risk" or even already dry on there

Plus even the cities that have decent local rainfall, they don't have the far planned ahead water setups that places like NYC have, where the city owns and controls vast amounts of land elsewhere in their general area for long-distance supply, which ties with heavy restrictions on development in those area.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You know that most of the water you need goes to growing your food, right?

Like, a serious, dramatic water shortage would manifest as starving to death, not not being able to drink anything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Haha well let's just say you should start taking big sips while you can OP.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ikanreed posted:

Like, a serious, dramatic water shortage would manifest as starving to death, not not being able to drink anything.

It wouldn't, much of the US' food growing in dry areas is strictly excess or even for export. Hell simply stopping corn ethanol growth would mean a ton less water usage.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

Counterpoint: Not the food that I personally eat, as I live mostly on Ensure™ meal replacement shakes. Water is more important than food and it's better to starve to death than dehydrate to death.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stuff like this too http://aerofarms.com/why/technology/

you'll pine for the good old days of ensure after a few years of aeroponic bean curd

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Living in the UK we have WAY TOO MUCH WATER like all the time the water is falling out of the sky lol. it never stops doing it its like living under a big waterfall all the time except sometimes in winter where it turns into bits of ice falling out of the sky instead. if you would like to have some of our water you can but please take it before it falls out of the sky so i can get dry thankyou and god bless.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you live somewhere where you've had to rely on fossil aquifers heavily, you likely do not reside somewhere that would have been considered "moderately wet" by an ecologist within living memory.

Lots of texas is straight up dry, or on the borders of dry and acceptable, with excessive human population quickly reducing it to unsustainable long term. I posted a full desertificiation risk map earlier in the thread, much of Texas is "moderate risk" or even already dry on there

Plus even the cities that have decent local rainfall, they don't have the far planned ahead water setups that places like NYC have, where the city owns and controls vast amounts of land elsewhere in their general area for long-distance supply, which ties with heavy restrictions on development in those area.

If you try to call San Antonio/Austin "desert" or "near-desert" you're an idiot. It's in the green area of that map and gets 30 inches average annual precipitation. That's more than Kansas, for instance, and pretty much the same as the wet parts of michigan. It's not the wettest place in the US but it's certainly not bone dry. Use of fossil aquifers is not indicative of how hosed a place is: many places like here keep their recharge zones empty and use them similarly to ground-level water holding areas. It's true that excessive human habitation plus the likely drop in local precipitation means bad things in the future but your posts do not string together to form a coherent argument.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Your water belongs to the tribe. Not wearing your stillsuit just because we have water now is the height of arrogance (plus you'll want it to be broken in properly when Shai-Halud comes)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nathilus posted:

If you try to call San Antonio/Austin "desert" or "near-desert" you're an idiot. It's in the green area of that map and gets 30 inches average annual precipitation. That's more than Kansas, for instance, and pretty much the same as the wet parts of michigan. It's not the wettest place in the US but it's certainly not bone dry. Use of fossil aquifers is not indicative of how hosed a place is: many places like here keep their recharge zones empty and use them similarly to ground-level water holding areas. It's true that excessive human habitation plus the likely drop in local precipitation means bad things in the future but your posts do not string together to form a coherent argument.

Not to defend nintendo kid or anything but when you're talking about water availability you also have to account for evaporation, which is in large part a function of heat. So comparing two places, one with an average temperature of 68.7°, and another with an average of 42.8°F, even if rainfall is identical there's going to be a lot more water available in the place averaging 42.8

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Squalid posted:

Not to defend nintendo kid or anything but when you're talking about water availability you also have to account for evaporation, which is in large part a function of heat. So comparing two places, one with an average temperature of 68.7°, and another with an average of 42.8°F, even if rainfall is identical there's going to be a lot more water available in the place averaging 42.8

No doubt. There are also other factors at play like the water retention of the soil and porosity of the underlying strata. Nintendo Kid's argument probably holds water (tee hee) when you're talking about irrigating the Californian central plains for commercial use, for instance; but my posts have been dealing with a separate category of hosed: places that might have enough water to exist sustainably now, but almost certainly will not in future.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Arrakis. Dune.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Frykte posted:

How scarce will water be when I'm old? Let's say 2050. I'd put more effort into my OP but I don't know anything about scarcity but I thought it'd be a good topic. Thanks.
It will totally depend on where you live and how the water rights laws are in your area. The amount of water used by the tar sands projects in Alberta is enormous: about 4 barrels of water to produce each barrel of oil. Cadillac Desert is a book that describes how screwed up water policy and usage in the US is.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I have already begun stockpiling pallets of bottled water in anticipation of the Water Wars.
There is some feeling that the civil war in Syria started over a drought that lasted from 2006 to 2011.

quote:

Here’s the issue: between 2006 and 2011, the eastern 60 percent of Syria experienced “the worst long-term drought and most severe set of crop failures since agricultural civilizations began in the Fertile Crescent many millennia ago,” forcing 200,000 Syrians off the land (out of 22 million total in Syria) and causing them to abandon 160 towns entirely (source). In one region in 2007-2008, 75% of farmers suffered total crop failure, while herders in the northeast lost up to 85% of their flocks, which affected 1.3 million people (source). Assad’s policies exacerbated the problem. His administration subsidized for water-intensive crops like wheat and cotton, and promoted bad irrigation techniques (source. I’m still looking for a description of what those bad irrigation techniques were.).

These refugees moved to cities like Damascus, which were already dealing with over a million refugees from Iraq and Palestine. They dug 25,000 illegal wells around Damascus, lowering the water table and increasing groundwater salinity (source). The revolt in 2011 broke out in southern Daraa and northeast Kamishli, two of the driest parts of the country, and reportedly, Al Qaeda affiliates are most active in the driest regions of the country (source).

One thing that worsened the problem was Turkey. The Tigris, Euphrates, and Orantes Rivers flow out of Kurdistan in Turkey into Syria. Turkey, in a bid to modernize the Kurdish region, built 22 dams on these rivers up to 2010 in the Southeastern Anatolia Project. They’ve taken half the water out of the Euphrates, and used it to grow large amounts of cotton within Anatolia, doubling or trebling local income in that traditionally rebellious area.
Source

Israel abandoned Gaza when the aquifers underneath the Gaza strip became too saline/polluted to support growing food crops. The "security barrier" follows the borders of the underground aquifer which is why it doesn't follow any above-ground terrain feature.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

That doesn't make it not a desert, it's merely a desert on the coastline. You get just 10 inches of rain a year, many large desert regions in the US get up to 12 inches a year.

Anyway, OP, conssult this map for who's likely to end up with insufficent water in the near future (20 years):

San Diego is only "semi-arid" and the word "desert" only appears once on its wikipedia page talking about deserts beyond nearby mountains :colbert:

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Can the government take all the water or perhaps control humans so they can't get to the water?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frykte posted:

Can the government take all the water or perhaps control humans so they can't get to the water?

Dude it's the government, all they'd have to do is declare that water is a drug and buying water on the black market supports terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Dude it's the government, all they'd have to do is declare that water is a drug and buying water on the black market supports terrorism.

Can't we just rebel about this? But maybe when I'm 50 years old the government will have most of the majority of guns guided by aritifical intelligence that's what Im concerned about.

• Locked thread