Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Scarce will water be when Frykte is old?
Normal
Extremely scarce
There will be lots of water to drink
Hmm, not sure
View Results

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
How scarce will water be when I'm old? Let's say 2050. I'd put more effort into my OP but I don't know anything about scarcity but I thought it'd be a good topic. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Anosmoman posted:

Where do you live in 2050?

Let's say I'll live in uhh Alberta Canada. I hadn't even considered that different geographical locations would have different amounts of scarcity... Which places will have the most water and which places will have the least? Are there countries that I should avoid if I want to be able to drink water when I'm old?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

are you living the US/Canada/Western Europe? congrats you have water

As much water as I have now?? (a lot)

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You should move to the ocean. I hear there is lots of water there.

I forgot to put this in the title, but I meant drinking water specifically. I don't know if you're making a joke because by 2050 perhaps we'll be able to use technology to drink ocean water??

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

This is a huge relief, thanks! How bad will it be for people who aren't in Canada/US/Western Europe??

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Will corporations own a lot of the water? What about rich people??

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
What about all of my children? Will they run out of water in their lives? grandchildren?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Analyzing the poll is a little tricky because I just realized that 2 of the options are basically the same answer. "Normal" and "There will be lots of water to drink" are equivalent so it's actually about over 55% people think that the drinkable water supply will be OK. Still, there's almost one third of people who think there's going to be lots of trouble!

Mr. Pool posted:

We'll all be fine (in the west) once we get our heads out of our asses and start using nuclear fission for industrial scale desalination of ocean water, just like those gulf countries do. The solution is to literally boil the ocean.

Can we really boil the ocean? Do we know for sure we haven't reached the 'end of the desalinization tech-tree'? (Nice relevant username!)

Smudgie Buggler posted:

There will be very nearly exactly the same amount of water on Earth as there is now.

Where are you afraid it's going to go?

I forgot to say "Drinkable available water" in the topic and original post but that's what I meant. It doesn't need to leave the planet it just needs to somehow be hoarded by government or corporations or one powerful person.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

katlington posted:

:eng101:Water can be obtained by melting ice!

Does this mean global warming is actually a good thing for our water supply?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
My bedroom flooded because my grandpa got too much toilet water on his bathroom floor. I wish his water were more scarce hahahah. Really though general consensus seems to be everything will be alright in regards do being able to drink water. Thanks

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Is there going to be lots of people moving from dry places to wet places?? Will there be places that become too wet because of global warming?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

You know that most of the water you need goes to growing your food, right?

Like, a serious, dramatic water shortage would manifest as starving to death, not not being able to drink anything.

Counterpoint: Not the food that I personally eat, as I live mostly on Ensure™ meal replacement shakes. Water is more important than food and it's better to starve to death than dehydrate to death.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Can the government take all the water or perhaps control humans so they can't get to the water?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Dude it's the government, all they'd have to do is declare that water is a drug and buying water on the black market supports terrorism.

Can't we just rebel about this? But maybe when I'm 50 years old the government will have most of the majority of guns guided by aritifical intelligence that's what Im concerned about.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/16/new-nasa-studies-show-how-the-world-is-running-out-of-water/

Does this mean it's going to be scarce when I'm old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
If I adopt children how scarce will water be when they're old?

• Locked thread