Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Scarce will water be when Frykte is old?
Normal
Extremely scarce
There will be lots of water to drink
Hmm, not sure
View Results

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Turnquiet posted:

Not gonna lie, one of pluses of getting moved to Virginia from Phoenix was that I would get out of an area that was a walking water crisis. Spending the previous 20 years in Phoenix taught me to appreciate water, loathe golf courses, and fear for the longevity of the West.

golf courses are the cadillac welfare queens of water conservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nathilus posted:

We already can drink seawater the process to make it drinkable is merely too expensive to make most places consider doing it rather than draining the local aquifer for pennies. They are building a desalination plant in California and the estimates are that water from it (which can support 10% of the local water-need) is 80% more expensive than the water shipped in from the colorado river basin. There are other places that already use the technology, but it's universally because logistically speaking they don't have any other choice. Once again the bottom line is in the way of progress.

Yeah it's important to remember that "we can't do x" usually means "we can't do x at the current price, but the new price might not be too much higher than today".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V. Illych L. posted:

do people live in the places with annual rainfall of over four thousand millimeters? because holy lol that is a lot of rain

i've been in the part of Oregon that has that much and no, they don't really.

It also never really stops raining though.

• Locked thread