Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Am I weird for having a soft-spot for Street Legal? There are some really great songs on it, like "Changing of the Guards" and "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)." And the closer, "Where Are You Tonight (Journey through the Dark Heat)" is just absolutely amazing. It just builds and builds, and it really stands up to the best of Dylan's catalog.

Granted, all I have ever heard was the remix that they did for the CD remaster, and apparently, the guy who did it felt like he had more free reign since nobody liked the original LP mix. So he wasn't just trying to replace missing tapes. There's obviously some weird decisions with the mixes and production though. Like, the backing vocals on Changing of the Guards just feel gratuitous, and I imagine that the song wouldn't lose anything if they weren't there. And the last minute of the song just sounds unfinished, even though it fades out.

And if you want to dig into the madness that is the various Blonde on Blonde mixes, here you go. http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BobPart1/BobPart1.htm

Short story, there's 9 different mixes of the album that are out there. 3 mono, and then 5 stereo, and 1 surround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wengy posted:

Can't look up the lyrics in detail, but IIRC there's a couple of weird lines about the sinful nature of space travel (???), some strange potshots against the unions ("dinosaurs") in a song that's criticizing capitalism (???), and then there's that cringe-worthy pro-Israel song. Dunno, it just seems muddled and all over the place lyrically. Musically, I think it's easily his second-strongest album of the 80s (though that's not saying much), and better than his most recent stuff (Together through life or Tempest).

Yeah, but come on, Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight? That's a brilliant song. I love the weird apocalyptic imagery in the first verse. And even the chorus. It's just a great sentiment.

I will say the Aaron Neville version is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXHHssqMt8

• Locked thread