Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just wanted to say that I've finally given "Saved" a chance after being put off for years by the insane Christian thing and I'm kinda blown away. I mean, some of the lyrics are horribly silly and as a smug atheist a lot of the emotion (which is undoubtedly there) is lost on me, and some stuff definitely borders on televangelist kitsch, but... I think the songwriting is very, very strong here. If Dylan had left out the gospel choir and written secular lyrics to these tunes, we'd consider the album a classic (something I already do for the slightly more subtle "Slow train coming", which I love).

Also, "Oh Mercy" is my favorite modern Dylan album by far. Total masterpiece from start to finish IMHO. I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Shot of Love is a better album (and, ironically, less preachy) than Infidels. I do think Jokerman is one of his best lyrics, though.

Favourite live versions, anyone? I love the Hard Rain version of Shelter from the Storm, with honourable mentions for Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You from Bootleg 5 and It Ain't Me Babe from Before the Flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpA7tM2jnT0

and of course, the Biograph Visions of Johanna and Bootleg 4 Like a Rolling Stone

Interesting, I'd always preferred Infidels, maybe I'll have to give Shot of Love another chance. Out of all the Christian albums I guess I still like Slow Train Coming the best, so awesome. It and Infidels are of course both helped by Knopfler on guitar...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Infidels is really good and has one of his best backing bands out of a lot of great backing bands. It sounded modern for the time, which Saved and Shot didn't, and still sounds really clean if kinda dated. There's a reason it was pretty well received.

It's very good indeed, but it's let down by some of the lyrics which kind of border on insane ramblings.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 23, 2015

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Can't look up the lyrics in detail, but IIRC there's a couple of weird lines about the sinful nature of space travel (???), some strange potshots against the unions ("dinosaurs") in a song that's criticizing capitalism (???), and then there's that cringe-worthy pro-Israel song. Dunno, it just seems muddled and all over the place lyrically. Musically, I think it's easily his second-strongest album of the 80s (though that's not saying much), and better than his most recent stuff (Together through life or Tempest).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

And hell, if he weren't insane he'd have included Blind Willie which would automatically make Infidels 700 times more awesome

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Don't fall apart on me tonight is amazing.

Replace Union Sundown and Neighborhood Bully with Blind Willie McTell and Foot of Pride and boom, Infidels is a top 5 Dylan record for sure.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Speaking of Infidels, there's a bunch of really great outtakes and alternative takes here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=322

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Sweetheart like you is a fantastic song and it features one of Mick Taylor's best solos. I suck terribly at playing the guitar but I just had to learn it it's so good.

• Locked thread