Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
Let's rank our favorite Dylan albums. Here's my list:

Blood on the Tracks
Freewheelin'
Blonde on Blonde
Love and Theft
Bringing It All Back Home
John Wesley Harding
Highway 61 Revisited
Street Legal
Time Out of Mind
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Modern Times
New Morning
Desire
Shadows in the Night
The Times They Are A Changin'
Nashville Skyline
Under the Red Sky
Bob Dylan
Self-Portrait
Oh Mercy
Good as I Been to You
Together Through Life
Planet Waves
Infidels
Tempest
Slow Train Coming
Dylan
Saved
Down in the Groove
World Gone Wrong
Shot of Love
Knocked Out Loaded
Empire Burlesque

Let me know what you guys think and how your list stacks up against mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

BigFactory posted:

You like Shadows in the Night and Under the Red Sky better than Planet Waves or Infidels?

And no Christmas in the Heart so I can't take your list seriously

Ok so I'm reading that list again, and are you seriously saying that shadows in the night is basically as good as Desire? That's why lists of records are stupid.

Just because you disagree with my specific ranking doesn't mean album lists are inherently stupid. Ranking albums helps us see them in historical and musical context. A list is necessarily juxtapositive, both internally -- by placing albums from different times and musical spaces next to each other -- and externally -- by comparison with the reader's own implicit or explicit internal list. These juxtapositions help make conscious in the reader previously unconscious ideas about the works in question, which fosters a deeper level of discussion.

• Locked thread