Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
Is Street-Legal considered one of his "Christian period" albums? I ask because while I think that the record as a whole is pretty weak, Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) is probably one of his most underrated songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry to bump this, but as far as I can see, this is the only Bob Dylan thread. I've been listening to Blood on the Tracks on the thread's recommendation, and gotta say, I love it. Idiot Wind is basically Like a Rolling Stone 2.0, this time also blaming himself for having been a fool instead of spending the entire song trashing the girl (although he still does that). It's amazing how much, but also how little, he changed from 65 to 75.

Also, I totally agree with this observation here (Idiot Wind being a more mature sequel to Like a Rolling Stone). That said, my favorite reading of Like a Rolling Stone is that it's a kiss-off not to an ex-lover, but to the whole notion of wholesome American innocence. When seen in that light, the song becomes almost triumphant. "When you ain't got nothing you got nothin' to lose" -- the country has been stripped of its myths and illusions, so now the real work can begin.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

BigFactory posted:

He started hanging out with T Bone Burnett during the rolling thunder revue tour and he was probably going to that church in and around when he was writing street legal (which I think was recorded in LA so that makes sense too), but Slow Train Coming is his first born again record. Street legal isn't weak though, lots of good stuff there.

It's just always felt a bit over-produced to me, what with all the background singers and songs with like 2-3 instrumental solos each. I kind of analogize it to Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man-- it's an interesting and ambitious departure from an artist's expected form and it's got a few killer tracks, but overall it's just too much and it descends into self-parody pretty frequently.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
That may be, but for whatever reason Desire just feels a lot more restrained to me, violin or no violin. Although I have to say that as much as I dig Hurricane, it's got some pretty dumb lyrics and forced rhymes ("you don't wanna have to go to jail / be a nice fellow" ; "and took him to the infirmary and though this man could hardly see / the told him he was the one who could ID the guilty man.")

To bring the thread all back home, so to speak, I'd say my favorite early 60s Dylan album is Blonde on Blonde. It strikes that perfect Dylan balance between being super cool and just a little bit aloof while somehow also being completely emotionally raw. It helps that Visions of Johanna is probably his best "epic surrealism" song.

• Locked thread