Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I mean, yeah, you're talking about some of the most highly regarded albums of the 20th century, but Times and Another Side don't really belong in the conversation. I think the first album is stronger than Times and his early 70's albums are easily better and more important than Another Side.

Sean Wilentz' excellent Bob Dylan in America from a couple years ago does a nice job of documenting the Blonde On Blonde recording process, among other things. Great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can we talk about how Blood on the Tracks is basically a perfect album?

Dylan has a dozen records that are basically perfect. The dude's like a professional at this stuff man.

Edit: and BOTT's not perfect. Up To Me should have been the closer, not Buckets.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 6, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Another side is great, but it doesn't do the same thing that Bringing it all back home does.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fenrir posted:

What. No they're not. There's a lot of filler, yes, but Dylan had his share too.

I mean not really on any of the records through Highway 61. Blonde on Blonde has a couple of inessential tracks, but it's also a double LP. What would you cut from Freewheelin' or Bringing it All Back Home? Even on Times and Another Side, two records I'll freely admit are a click down from the other bona fide masterpieces, the only song Id call filler is North Country Blues, which kinda drags. Edit: maybe black crow blues too. I like the song, especially in the context of the record, but it's probably inessential.

I like early Beatles, but Dylan's B-sides and unreleased songs from that period were more interesting than any of the Beatles non-filler until at least Help!,where the best stuff was just apeing dylan anyways.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 7, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's just insanely good from start to finish. Tangled Up In Blue is maybe the best opening track from any album.

Like A Rolling Stone?

And even from the era Id put Hurricane and Changing Of The Guard up with Tangled, not taking away anything from tangled.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

Disagree on your Another Side assessment, if only because it is one of my top-3 Dylan albums. It's his shift away from the socially conscious folk music that was contained in his first two albums (I am ignoring his s/t for a moment), all captured perfectly in the song "It Ain't Me Babe", which, even if you disagree with my interpretation (that the song is his rejection, or him saying that he can't be what they want) it is still a stinging indictment to a lover.

ANNNNNNYWAYS, the album features some of my all-time favourite Dylan songs, like "To Ramona", "My Back Pages", "I Don't Believe You", and "All I Really Want to Do". It also features Dylan being silly, which may not be some people's cup of tea, but I am down with. Really, I just love the feel of the whole album.

Also, "Blood on the Tracks" is peak-Dylan for me, but I also really love the follow-up, "Desire". I am also a huge fan of "Nashville Skyline". In Dylan's "lost period" (a term I just made up, somewhere from 77 until 97), I think "Oh Mercy" gets overlooked. Not an all-time classic, but it's still a very good album.

I never said Another Side was bad. It's not, it's really good. Empire Burlesque is bad.

And I don't think oh mercy gets overlooked at all? Who overlooks it? Not dylan, he devoted a third of chronicles to it and always puts songs from it in his setlists.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

It looks like the whole "only early Dylan, you guys!" thing is over before page two, which is fine with me because I'm one of those assholes who thinks that "Love & Theft" is an amazing album.

Love and Theft rules. It's the reason I'll always remember September 11th 2001 was on a Tuesday. I'm super sick of hearing him play those songs though. They've basically all entered the "watchtower/hwy 61/rolling stone/tangled" category of songs I never want to hear played live again. Sugar Baby is the exception. I could listen to that song forever.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I never said you said it was bad. I just mean that I think it deserves the "classic" label.

And, I think it gets overlooked from people who overlook that whole period of Dylan.

I think half his catalogue deserves the classic label, maybe more than that, but you have to make choices somewhere. It's a great Bob Dylan album, but it was followed up by 3 of the most influential albums of the second half of the 20th century.

To the other point, maybe casual fans or new fans overlook oh mercy, but it sold really well at the time (which his other records before and after didnt really), has a big name producer attached to it, and it's still really well critically reviewed. And again, those songs still make the regular rotation in concert. Songs from Down in the Groove and Knocked Out Loaded don't (Silvio did for years but you know what I mean).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kaworu posted:

But to be honest, I think two albums that are very underrated (to some degree) are "Good As I Been to You" and World Gone Wrong". Both albums are so similar (being that they're both entirely composed of traditional folk/blues songs, not orignal Dylan compositions) and they both have a similar aesthetic. I'm always amazed at how engaging and fun they are. I've always been a big fan of Good As I Been to You, because it contains to two of my favorite traditional folk songs (Frankie and Albert and Froggie Went-a-Courtin') and Dylan just does utterly delightful versions of them. It's really tough not to love these albums when you really listen to them, I think, and you can see a direct link between these albums and you can see the roots of where he eventually went with subsequent albums, too. It's like recording these traditional albums was part of a process that led to the brilliance of an album like "Love and Theft."

You have to read Bob Dylan in America, cause that's almost exactly the focus of a big section of it. It's really an excellent read.

I prefer World Gone Wrong personally, but that's because Good As I Been To You always breaks my eardrums with how hot it's mixed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You like Shadows in the Night and Under the Red Sky better than Planet Waves or Infidels?

And no Christmas in the Heart so I can't take your list seriously

Ok so I'm reading that list again, and are you seriously saying that shadows in the night is basically as good as Desire? That's why lists of records are stupid.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 9, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Jack of Hearts is an 8 minute slab of bad.

I don't really disagree with that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

logical phalluses posted:

Just because you disagree with my specific ranking doesn't mean album lists are inherently stupid. Ranking albums helps us see them in historical and musical context. A list is necessarily juxtapositive, both internally -- by placing albums from different times and musical spaces next to each other -- and externally -- by comparison with the reader's own implicit or explicit internal list. These juxtapositions help make conscious in the reader previously unconscious ideas about the works in question, which fosters a deeper level of discussion.

Nah it's boring.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is like uncovering a relic from a primitive internet, but if anyone cares here's a link to a full-album download (archive.org, no filez) of an album by Sidebottom that features a 23 minute long song recalling the night in Montreal where James Hetfield got burned by pyrotechnics sung to the tune of Lily Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.

https://archive.org/details/FrequentUrination

song's called Metallica.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I guess what I'm getting at is that Infidels is overrated in the same way the gospel albums are underrated, due to being perceived as the end of his "Christian period", although the Christian influence is very much still there

Infidels is really good and has one of his best backing bands out of a lot of great backing bands. It sounded modern for the time, which Saved and Shot didn't, and still sounds really clean if kinda dated. There's a reason it was pretty well received.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wengy posted:

It's very good indeed, but it's let down by some of the lyrics which kind of border on insane ramblings.
Like what? Stylistically the small songs foreshadow the techniques he carried throughout the 80s and 90s where they're simpler and punchier. The ballads off the record are impeccable. And if you include blind willie mctell it's really hard to argue with the lyricism.

Neighborhood Bully and Union Sundown are kind of throwaway songs but lots of great albums have a couple of stinkers. At least those two have a good beat.

Unless I missed something and people were saying infidels is as good as highway 61 or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wengy posted:

Can't look up the lyrics in detail, but IIRC there's a couple of weird lines about the sinful nature of space travel (???), some strange potshots against the unions ("dinosaurs") in a song that's criticizing capitalism (???), and then there's that cringe-worthy pro-Israel song. Dunno, it just seems muddled and all over the place lyrically. Musically, I think it's easily his second-strongest album of the 80s (though that's not saying much), and better than his most recent stuff (Together through life or Tempest).

Tempest rules

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Both good songs but I and I is the best song on infidels

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Falstaff Infection posted:

Is Street-Legal considered one of his "Christian period" albums? I ask because while I think that the record as a whole is pretty weak, Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) is probably one of his most underrated songs.

He started hanging out with T Bone Burnett during the rolling thunder revue tour and he was probably going to that church in and around when he was writing street legal (which I think was recorded in LA so that makes sense too), but Slow Train Coming is his first born again record. Street legal isn't weak though, lots of good stuff there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm your man is really good too, but if you listen to desire and street legal back to back they're not that different. Street legal is more coked out for sure but not much more.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
http://bobdylan.com/on-tour/

New album and tour this summer. Mavis Staples in support on the US leg. According to Pitchfork the record is called Fallen Angels.

I guess this is still the de facto Dylan thread, so bump. I haven't seen him since before Tempest, so I should probably hit a couple of these this summer. He's gonna die one of these days.

Edit: New record is going to be more standards in the vein of Shadows in the Night. Sounds like it's all songs from Sinatra's repertoire. It comes out May 20th, with a 4 song ep for Record Store Day.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 9, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Happy 75th birthday Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My 4 year old's favorite bob dylan songs are in order:

1. When the ship comes in
2. Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic massacre blues
3. Don't think twice it's all right
4. Man gave names to all the animals
5. TIE Mr. Tambourine man/It's All Over Now Baby Blue

We're going to bake a cake and throw a party tonight.

• Locked thread