Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One of the coolest things about missions is how the maps are accurately rendered in both tactical and battle view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MaterialConceptual posted:

The new episode is up. I'm still getting used to playing the game again but hopefully it comes back to me soon enough. I'll try to study the FAQ a bit more before the next mission so I can talk about the game systems.

Just as a note, you should probably post a link to the new video in the post where you say it's up. It makes the update more noticeable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm assuming you're going to turn on turbo speed for the battles at some point, because otherwise your videos are going to take like 3 hours.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Just as a note, you should probably post a link to the new video in the post where you say it's up. It makes the update more noticeable.

This, also maybe post the Wanzers you meet in the missions and a quick synopsis of them?

I mean, just from this mission (and the cutscene after) you see at least three different OCU Wanzers.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Frost is a super-cool Wanzer because the first time you run into it in FM1 is when you fight Hell's Wall, which is basically my favorite mission.

Also, looking at the mission outro, at least one of the incoming enemies is a Zenith, isn't it?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 11, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

WaltherFeng posted:

One of the coolest things about missions is how the maps are accurately rendered in both tactical and battle view.

Absolutely. The level of polish in the whole battle system is just outstanding.

Tae posted:

I'm assuming you're going to turn on turbo speed for the battles at some point, because otherwise your videos are going to take like 3 hours.

Yeah I just wanted to start out with the normal speed to let everyone get a good look at the wanzer combat. I will probably turn on the turbo speed after the next mission, because that's when the wanzer numbers start to grow significantly. I'll slow things down when we encounter some new wanzer types so we can get a good look at them.

Koorisch posted:

This, also maybe post the Wanzers you meet in the missions and a quick synopsis of them?

I mean, just from this mission (and the cutscene after) you see at least three different OCU Wanzers.

Okay I'm trying to think about how to do this right, because the thing is that when a video LP gets uploaded to the LP Archive usually only the OP is archived. For that reason I would like to keep as much of the content as possible in the video. I would love to do a rundown of all the wanzers we encounter using the hangar interface but the thing is you don't get access to OCU wanzer parts until quite late in the game (Which makes sense when you consider that Walter and co. are part of the actual USN military, unlike the protagonists of all the other FM games, who are usually much less close to the regular military organization). However I think I might be able to track down a 100% save file and use that to make a separate outro video that covers the wanzer models.

Night10194 posted:

The Frost is a super-cool Wanzer because the first time you run into it in FM1 is when you fight Hell's Wall, which is basically my favorite mission.

Also, looking at the mission outro, at least one of the incoming enemies is a Zenith, isn't it?

The Mission in FM 1st/FM DS where you get to fight alongside Hell's Wall is also epic. In fact in terms of game time it's taking place right around the same time! Go Kevin!

As for the Zenith, I think it's pretty unlikely that we'd see one this early in because they are typically employed by OCU elite units, but I will have another look when I have access to broadband (Travelling at the moment). Speaking of which I will be out of town for a couple of days, so the next video will probably go up in a few days. That will give me some time to study up on the game system in detail! :eng101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought I recognized the shoulders and profile, but I could definitely be wrong. I only remember so many of the actual Wanzer models as it is.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I thought I recognized the shoulders and profile, but I could definitely be wrong. I only remember so many of the actual Wanzer models as it is.

It's actually a Kyojun, you can see that it's head is fused to the torso and the shoulders are the Kyojun's.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
One the one hand, I do have some complaints with how you handled the first real battle. Namely, playing it very safe and being too frugal with your missiles (you had a whole other launcher, which I'm assuming has its own ammo pool), and just some little mishaps like trying to attack a Wanzer's remaining arm by flanking it on the side that already had an arm blown off.

On the other hand, I freaking love me some Front Mission and the insight you're giving us from a translator's perspective and from the project team as a whole is pretty awesome and more than makes up for my niggling complaints so far.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Koorisch posted:

It's actually a Kyojun, you can see that it's head is fused to the torso and the shoulders are the Kyojun's.

Yeah Glen's Wanzer is definitely a Kyojun. It was even released as a toy figure which I got for a friend. The OCU squad in that cinematic seems to be 2 Walruses, 1 Enyo, and Glen's Kyojun. The Walrus looks a lot like the Zenith so that was probably a bit confusing.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

One the one hand, I do have some complaints with how you handled the first real battle. Namely, playing it very safe and being too frugal with your missiles (you had a whole other launcher, which I'm assuming has its own ammo pool), and just some little mishaps like trying to attack a Wanzer's remaining arm by flanking it on the side that already had an arm blown off.

On the other hand, I freaking love me some Front Mission and the insight you're giving us from a translator's perspective and from the project team as a whole is pretty awesome and more than makes up for my niggling complaints so far.

That was mostly just me being unsure of whether or not I needed to pay to replace the spare missiles or not, and whether I would get a chance to restock before the next mission (Since at least chronologically it happens right after the first one). Arguably it would have been better to use the missiles more to get more balanced experience distribution, and to go faster, but it's done now...I'm going to read up on how experience works before the next video so I can know what to min/max and what to not bother with.

EDIT: Actually it seems I missed out on some CP because of conserving missiles in the last mission, so I'll probably go back and redo that mission off camera once I go back home. I've read the FAQ now, so I've got a better idea what I'm doing.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 11, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Items automatically refill after every mission. You don't need to buy them ever again, the only time is if you want a better heal or you want others to carry them.

So use items, especially missile refill, all you want.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I may have missed talk about it, but is there no ranking for missions?

FM3's hosed battle ranking has burned itself into my mind :qq:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I may have missed talk about it, but is there no ranking for missions?

FM3's hosed battle ranking has burned itself into my mind :qq:

There is something like that a little bit later but MaterialConceptual will probably delve further into that once we get there.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait a sec, am I mistaken or is it possible for shots to land on body parts that are already destroyed? That's a pretty raw deal.
And it looks like they've simplified the movement system since FM3. I thought it was cool how they separated boost range from walking range, but limited boosting/skating to straight lines in cardinal directions. All boost, all the time seems a little less interesting.

Weapons firing twice in one attack is good, though, it makes the combat a bit more fluid. You mentioned that enemies was dual wielding, how does that work in this game? I really badly wanted to upgrade one of my dudes in FM3 to dual-wield rifles, but it ended up being pretty worthless on account of dual-fire only ever working as part of a randomly-activated skill.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait a sec, am I mistaken or is it possible for shots to land on body parts that are already destroyed? That's a pretty raw deal.
And it looks like they've simplified the movement system since FM3. I thought it was cool how they separated boost range from walking range, but limited boosting/skating to straight lines in cardinal directions. All boost, all the time seems a little less interesting.

Weapons firing twice in one attack is good, though, it makes the combat a bit more fluid. You mentioned that enemies was dual wielding, how does that work in this game? I really badly wanted to upgrade one of my dudes in FM3 to dual-wield rifles, but it ended up being pretty worthless on account of dual-fire only ever working as part of a randomly-activated skill.

I believe that damage to a destroyed part gets transferred to the torso.

I played the game with Durandal, I forget which one that is? This game looks pretty similar.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I loved this games.

Why did they make a front mission shooter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Victis posted:

I believe that damage to a destroyed part gets transferred to the torso.

I played the game with Durandal, I forget which one that is? This game looks pretty similar.

That's FM4.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Firing both weapons at once is still related to skills, most of which have randomized chance of happening, IIRC. Skills are very powerful and it is beneficial to dual wield weapons like shotguns, machine guns and hand-to-hand weapons, since those are relatively light and easy for your wanzer to handle. It expands your strategic options and the other weapon acts as a backup if an arm gets blown off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You mostly dual wield a shotgun and machine gun in the early points of the game to cover ranges and damages, and then later to deal more damage depending on the enemy's armor.

There's also general battle situations for having both in hand. Shotguns are more useful for doing spread damage if you need to hit a body part more reliably when a Wanzer still has most of their limbs. Machine gun is basically more DPS, but only when the Wanzer's whittled down to a couple arms and the body.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And the new video is up! I still made some sloppy plays in this one but I think I'm getting back into the swing of things. I've been studying up on the plot points for the next video so I think it should be a good one.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to mention that the first Wanzer Roundup video is up! I hope you find this interesting, but if you'd rather I didn't do these or I focused on some other aspect of the wanzers just let me know. Of course, if opinion is divided on the issue, those who do not like the Wanzer Roundups can just skip forward to the next video in the series.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Excuse me, sir, I believe it is pronounced 'van-zer', being a German word :goonsay:

Naw, man, I'm just kidding. It's a made up silly word for a mecha, it's pronounced however the hell someone wants. So, this game looks a good bit less forgiving than 4 so far. Those MG wanzers knew to stay out of shotgun range and gently caress you up, it looked like.

Also really like the Wanzer Wrap Up! It's really cool to get some of the background on the manufacturers and weapons systems.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 14, 2015

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to mention that the first Wanzer Roundup video is up! I hope you find this interesting, but if you'd rather I didn't do these or I focused on some other aspect of the wanzers just let me know. Of course, if opinion is divided on the issue, those who do not like the Wanzer Roundups can just skip forward to the next video in the series.

I like it, it feels like some pretty good effort and getting information about things like this is like candy for fans of the series.

Also you forgot that the NPC in the second mission has a Gust without the typical gun-arms, maybe take that into the next list too if you want. :v:

You are getting the secret Punchbot after mission 5 right?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 14, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Excuse me, sir, I believe it is pronounced 'van-zer', being a German word :goonsay:

Naw, man, I'm just kidding. It's a made up silly word for a mecha, it's pronounced however the hell someone wants. So, this game looks a good bit less forgiving than 4 so far. Those MG wanzers knew to stay out of shotgun range and gently caress you up, it looked like.

Also really like the Wanzer Wrap Up! It's really cool to get some of the background on the manufacturers and weapons systems.

Haha you're right about the pronunciation. I'm a fan of the Blazblue series, but sometimes I mispronounce that too. I think the reason I get it wrong is because I always just read ヴァンツァー as "wan-zer" even though it should be "van-zer." ワンツァー would be "wan-zer." I'll try to get it right, although I can't make any promises.

Koorisch posted:

I like it, it feels like some pretty good effort and getting information about things like this is like candy for fans of the series.

Also you forgot that the NPC in the second mission has a Gust without the typical gun-arms, maybe take that into the next list too if you want. :v:

You are getting the secret Punchbot after mission 5 right?

Thanks for the feedback about the Wanzer Roundup. I will keep working on them. Actually the reason I missed the Gust is because I only have 3 pilots at the moment, so I didn't think of it while I was doing the video. I will try to get further in the campaign with my hacked game so I can get more pilots and therefore do more wanzers per roundup. And rest assured I will do my best to get all the secrets, except for getting all the Survival Simulator parts.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that I uploaded the next episode overnight, so here it is!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Haha you're right about the pronunciation. I'm a fan of the Blazblue series, but sometimes I mispronounce that too. I think the reason I get it wrong is because I always just read ヴァンツァー as "wan-zer" even though it should be "van-zer." ワンツァー would be "wan-zer." I'll try to get it right, although I can't make any promises.

That's cool, so long as you don't trigger me by saying the vowels wrong.

I loved the roundup! I've dabbled in Front Mission games over the years (I played the SNES one in the 90s, although I don't think it was fully translated and I mostly abused save states), but never got into the lore enough to recognize wanzer types like you guys seem to.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Enjoying this thus far... I do have you'll tell something about how you setup your machines, though --- I recall fiddling with the loadout being much of the fun of the lower-numbered installments.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

During the Huffman campaign, I always repainted my wanzers to the classic USN desert color seen in FM1. :911:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

During the Huffman campaign, I always repainted my wanzers to the classic USN desert color seen in FM1. :911:

I...may have to do this! Just an update on what's going on. I'm playing through my hacked campaign to get the save file up to the point where I can spend RP to upgrade my parts. I'm almost there so I should be able to do another video soon.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

The next Wanzer Roundup is up, and I should have a real gameplay video up tomorrow! I think I shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest of the first part of the game, but we'll see once I get to it!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'll always pronounce it as close as possible to "wanker" because it makes me laugh.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And the Mission 3 video is up! The next mission is the first one in the game with any amount of challenge in it, so we'll see how that goes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

This thread is going to be a goldmine for FM information. I'm assuming it would be technically possible to hack your unit into a batallion of tanks. :gifttank:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

This thread is going to be a goldmine for FM information. I'm assuming it would be technically possible to hack your unit into a batallion of tanks. :gifttank:

I think this might be theoretically possible, but the information on hacking the game that is out there is unfortunately pretty limited. I'm going to try to get the modification limit lifted tomorrow for the hacked save file.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, they just did a 1-year flash forward after the missile strike, and apparently not much at all has happened in the intervening time other than someone hacking the training simulator so they can gamble?

Also, Glenn is looking more and more like end boss material even though we've only met the guy a few times. Although it would be pretty awesome if the final plot twist ends up putting Randy in those shoes. Good job on the wanzer roundup too, the background fluff is always pretty entertaining - I never knew the kyojun was supposed to be a gunner, given that the guy who gets it in FM3 defaults to a machine gun and that it's a bit less accurate but more mobile than most other snipers like the shangdi or rekkson.

I'm about to watch the mission 3 video, but if you haven't yet, can we get bitchin' paint jobs for our main posse?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm about to watch the mission 3 video, but if you haven't yet, can we get bitchin' paint jobs for our main posse?

Do I need to remind you that we are part of the USN military and thereby we must adhere to regulations on camouflage patterns? :colbert: (You do get some pretty cool camo patterns later on)

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, they just did a 1-year flash forward after the missile strike, and apparently not much at all has happened in the intervening time other than someone hacking the training simulator so they can gamble?

Also, Glenn is looking more and more like end boss material even though we've only met the guy a few times. Although it would be pretty awesome if the final plot twist ends up putting Randy in those shoes. Good job on the wanzer roundup too, the background fluff is always pretty entertaining - I never knew the kyojun was supposed to be a gunner, given that the guy who gets it in FM3 defaults to a machine gun and that it's a bit less accurate but more mobile than most other snipers like the shangdi or rekkson.

The OCU uses the Lark Valley incident in its propaganda efforts, I think we might see a bit of that in the next video. I remember when I played FM3 when I was younger I mostly just designed my wanzers to look cool. I was using Enyos for a combo assault/launcher role :eng99:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

when I was younger I mostly just designed my wanzers to look cool.

That is the correct way to play giant mecha. :colbert:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

But the 6-move legs you got off captured enemy kasel M2s in FM3 were just so good! I was even putting them on my launchers for a while, until I realised there was no real point since they didn't have enough AP to make use of the added range.

Hmm, is the capture mechanic still in FM5? Or did they get wise to me loading up on eject/pilot damage skills and just stealing everything in FM3, including that boss mech with the beam gun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No, FM5 is an evolution of 4's system except everything's faster. The biggest difference is that you fire twice by default, and it only costs 1 weapon AP worth I.E. FM4 (2 shotgun blasts=6 AP) vs. FM5 (2 Shotgun blasts=3 AP).

Also everyone slides because retcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tae posted:

No, FM5 is an evolution of 4's system except everything's faster. The biggest difference is that you fire twice by default, and it only costs 1 weapon AP worth I.E. FM4 (2 shotgun blasts=6 AP) vs. FM5 (2 Shotgun blasts=3 AP).

Also everyone slides because retcon.

FM4's gameplay was loving great, so I'm glad to hear that.

• Locked thread