Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Good OP. I just bought the Mutant City Blues pdf and while I was planning on GMing something gritty and down-to-earth for my group using the police procedural rules, I've actually warmed to the mutant stuff so I might play it straight. It looks like a lot of fun.

I am a bit concerned about the granularity of some of the rules. I hate when a game starts talking about 25 vs 50 metre distances based on how many points you put into a power, I don't think that level of precision is necessary for an RPG (and it reminds me of D&D in a bad way). If I'm gonna run it I'd want to do it a little more freeform, in an AW kind of style. Anyone have any advice for specific ways to override the basic GUMSHOE rules in that way? Particularly the combat system I think could be trimmed down significantly, and the need for NPCs to roll dice removed, which sounded easy at first but seems more complicated the more I look at the mutant power rules and all the stuff for blast powers and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I ran my first Gumshoe game tonight. Wrote up a murder mystery plot for a Mutant City Blues case, spent an hour and a bit with my 3 players getting them through character creation, picking up investigative and mutant powers and so on. It was a lot of fun -

However, the main thing I found was that I ended up not using the Gumshoe system at all. I occasionally asked people if they had certain investigative powers to do certain things with their characters, and sometimes they offered those themselves, but it seemed a formality and actually slowed down the otherwise organic narrative pacing of the game. I don't think we ever even rolled a single die, but that's because I didn't really have any action scenes planned out because I wasn't sure what their characters would end up being (maybe for next time). So it was all investigative casework. And that worked really well, they loved interviewing witnesses and suspects and combing crime scenes for clues and asking for warrants and DNA tests and CCTV footage. I don't think I even needed the Gumshoe system - just the setting notes for the Mutant City Blues, with the Quade diagram and everything, and the reference sheets and background info. The only important part of the system was the basic idea that the players are not gonna miss clues, and once you have that I don't think you need all the other crunch surrounding it.

So really I agree with this I guess:

Lichtenstein posted:

GUMSHOE is really a barebones lovely excuse of a system to print awesome settings and scenarios. There's literally nothing you really need this particular system for* if you just keep the principles on how to run the scenarios in mind.

* Mutant City Blues perhaps warrants some careful thought when porting to other systems because of the Quade Diagram.

Maybe not 'barebones lovely excuse of a system' but more like 'overspecified and not really necessary to get to the fun part of the game'.

• Locked thread