Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
How about some Mopane Worms? They're like Wichetty grubs, except covered in big spikes so they kind of hurt your soft palette, and they taste like dead leaves and mold. I ate these visiting family in Africa when I was six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also doesn't help that a poo poo load of people are squeamish and think bugs are icky. A lot of them are mostly sugar so they can become candy. Chocolate-covered ants are pretty good.

That's what I mean by making them seem appetizing. Most people can't get past the idea of eating bugs because they find them to be gross. Personally I don't mind most bugs but I still probably wouldn't eat them just because I don't typically like food that has a really crunchy exterior. So an exoskeleton probably wouldn't sit well with me.

I don't want to eat anything alive them, even a grub. That's nothing compared to some of the things I've heard being eaten alive, like "Three Squeaks" mice. Not sure if that story is actually true and I don't care to find out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

p-hop posted:

They also don't have legs and mandibles and other pointy bits. I've had crickets and mealworms from a novelty store all cooked up and seasoned like potato chips or peanuts. The crunchy texture is pleasant but having sharp lil insect bits pierce your gums is not.

It reminds me of whole shrimp that a chinese buffet around here serves - lightly breaded and seasoned, pan fried with green onions. Snap it in half, eat the tail meat, then slurp out the liquid gold inside the head. It's amazing, like demiglace or gumbo cooked down to a thick gravy/stew kinda thing.

You're meant to just eat those whole in one bite you heathen.

But yes the head is the best part of shrimps.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Noslo posted:

LA beast is a competitive eater/youtuber and a guilty pleasure in a :gonk: sort of way

He does challenges on youtube, stuff like eating whole lemons or 20 year old bottles of collectible sodas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGwibPdEOVk

The video of him eating (and then puking) whole unchewed hotdogs is amazing and deserves to be in a museum.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

slingshot effect posted:

The video of him eating (and then puking) whole unchewed hotdogs is amazing and deserves to be in a museum.

his recent one where he tried eating 54 eggs while hanging upside down then puked them all up in a skillet and made an omelette and ate it was close to being too much.

baram. has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Mar 9, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Australian bush is one step away from being kindling.
Why eat it raw when the materials to make fire are so plenty?

Id say eating it raw is the mark of a bad survivalist :colbert:.

What if it's a day of total fire ban? :colbert:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Australian bush is one step away from being kindling.
Why eat it raw when the materials to make fire are so plenty?

Id say eating it raw is the mark of a bad survivalist :colbert:.

Because they taste fine and aren't dangerous to eat raw. The mark of the bad survivalist is unnecessary energy expenditure when gathering food - and building fire without matches or a lighter takes a lot of energy. On top of that, the witchetty grub is from central Australia, which you may recognize as being home to one of the largest and least hospitable deserts in the world, with a lot of areas of relatively little plant life and fuel for good fires.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Tiggum posted:

What if it's a day of total fire ban? :colbert:

Which is like every day for most parts of the year here, really.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Internet Kraken posted:

Personally I don't mind most bugs but I still probably wouldn't eat them just because I don't typically like food that has a really crunchy exterior. So an exoskeleton probably wouldn't sit well with me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
How about some beondegi? Also known as stinky-rear end silkworm larvae:

Sometimes they shoot goo in your mouth! :science:

I...do not care for them.

Also, I have contributed to the thread. I was forced to do a "cooking class" in last year's winter English camp. I refuse to let third graders near fire, and I don't see the point in forcing 25 kids to line up to use a single microwave, so I needed stuff that didn't involve actual cooking. Enter "pizza sandwiches": Ritz crackers, sliced ham, shredded mozzarella, ketchup, and a sprinkling of basil. Sadly, they were pretty drat tasty.

EDIT: OH GOD THIS loving LIST

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/lowbrow-brilliant-bagels#.oo6RJ3nmg :barf:

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Mar 9, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, I have contributed to the thread. I was forced to do a "cooking class" in last year's winter English camp. I refuse to let third graders near fire, and I don't see the point in forcing 25 kids to line up to use a single microwave, so I needed stuff that didn't involve actual cooking. Enter "pizza sandwiches": Ritz crackers, sliced ham, shredded mozzarella, ketchup, and a sprinkling of basil. Sadly, they were pretty drat tasty.

That's pretty ingenious. I bet the kids had a blast making them.

THE MAID-RITE

If you're thinking "wow that looks like something poor folk eat in the Midwestern U.S.," you're correct!

Maid-Rite is a chain of restaurants that specializes in "loose meat" sandwiches. They're pretty cheap and surprisingly tasty for being steamed Grade D ground beef on a plain bun. They make a Texas BBQ sandwich that has onions and pickles on it and is drenched in barbeque sauce. I'm not a messy eater, but I need a change of clothes and a shower after one of those things--it gets everywhere.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

This always, always, always comes up when people say they wouldn't eat bugs. You know what the big difference between bugs and shellfish is? You take the shell off the crab/lobster.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

PubicMice posted:

You know what the big difference between bugs and shellfish is?

A lifetime of being told that one is vermin and the other is food.

Yes, logically insects are a great source of protein and have other things going for them as a food stuff, but (in the US at least) people are taught from a very young age that bugs are not food. People in this thread acting weirded out that a group of people who have been taught that "bugs!=food" dont find bugs appealing are either being intentionally dense or are genuinely stupid.

That's also the reason why when I was overseas I'd just order whatever looked good without trying to get a translation. I've eaten and enjoyed things that I never would have eaten if I had known what was in it.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

grumplestiltzkin posted:

A lifetime of being told that one is vermin and the other is food.

Yes, logically insects are a great source of protein and have other things going for them as a food stuff, but (in the US at least) people are taught from a very young age that bugs are not food. People in this thread acting weirded out that a group of people who have been taught that "bugs!=food" dont find bugs appealing are either being intentionally dense or are genuinely stupid.

That's also the reason why when I was overseas I'd just order whatever looked good without trying to get a translation. I've eaten and enjoyed things that I never would have eaten if I had known what was in it.

Do you eat the shell?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
On soft shelled crabs, sure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anywhere in the world where arachnids are raised and eaten right after they shed their exoskeleton? I'd try softshell scorpion or something.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

I mean yeah, shellfish are basically giant ocean bugs. But that's also kind of the point. A lobster is big enough where I can get decent cuts of meat off. With a grub or somethin it's so small that you're eating the whole body.

Because I wouldn't eat the whole body of a lobster either. Or even a normal animal like a chicken for that matter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Clotted Cream.

I don't care if it tastes, looks, and smells delicious, every time I hear the name I want to throw up. Those are two words that should never be next to each other. And "clotted" really shouldn't be an adjective in anything I'm eating, thank you very much.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The best case scenario of eating a land bug is basically that they taste like a nut of some kind, which is made redundant by the fact that nuts exist. Land insects are just not a very good food

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
My only bug-eating experiences thus far have been a chocolate-covered scorpion bought online and some Madagascar hissing cockroaches boiled in chicken broth with some other spices.

The scorpion tasted ok I guess, albeit I did cut the roof of my mouth on the chitin. The cockroaches had been fed apples and aquarium fish food, so naturally they ended up tasting like fish food. :gonk:

I'd still like to try some fried ants or crickets or something, they always look so delicious in the pictures :)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Catpain Slack posted:

My only bug-eating experiences thus far have been a chocolate-covered scorpion bought online and some Madagascar hissing cockroaches boiled in chicken broth with some other spices.

The scorpion tasted ok I guess, albeit I did cut the roof of my mouth on the chitin. The cockroaches had been fed apples and aquarium fish food, so naturally they ended up tasting like fish food. :gonk:

I'd still like to try some fried ants or crickets or something, they always look so delicious in the pictures :)

Ants taste like formic acid, and suck no matter how they are prepared. I always get cricket legs stuck between my teeth.

Baked mealworms with just a smigeon of cheese can taste like Doritos. The Goon's choice of insects.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That's pretty ingenious. I bet the kids had a blast making them.

THE MAID-RITE

If you're thinking "wow that looks like something poor folk eat in the Midwestern U.S.," you're correct!

Maid-Rite is a chain of restaurants that specializes in "loose meat" sandwiches. They're pretty cheap and surprisingly tasty for being steamed Grade D ground beef on a plain bun. They make a Texas BBQ sandwich that has onions and pickles on it and is drenched in barbeque sauce. I'm not a messy eater, but I need a change of clothes and a shower after one of those things--it gets everywhere.

Well it's no Steak n Shake but thanks to them I do enjoy plain scrambled hamburger. Good stuff.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

why

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Is....is that toothpaste??

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Two mince pies? They spoil me.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

I like to think the green layer is just a guess.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaICKru7DfQ

this weirdo liked it

I believe they also sold out.

Pomp has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Mar 10, 2015

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Dinty Moore, or dog vomit? You decide!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wasn't that the one some guy made as a joke and then found out to his surprise that there was an actual demand for it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

Ants taste like formic acid, and suck no matter how they are prepared.

Why... why would an ant taste like formic acid... such mysteries....

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, right? It doesn't taste like formica at all

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Dinty Moore Beef Stew looks and smells like actual dog food, but I'd be a liar if I said I haven't eaten my fair share of it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

sirbeefalot posted:

Only one way to find out! [CHOMP] Oh, thank god, it's dog vomit!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

If there's food in front of you that looks, smells and tastes good, but learning what it is makes you not eat it, you are a child. Either literally or figuratively.

Where can I buy this? I'd probably only eat it once, but I want to try it.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

sirbeefalot posted:

Placenta.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Low Desert Punk posted:

Dinty Moore Beef Stew looks and smells like actual dog food, but I'd be a liar if I said I haven't eaten my fair share of it.

I loved that poo poo as a kid. I still eat it once in a while, it's like a disgusting trip down memory lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Pick posted:

Why... why would an ant taste like formic acid... such mysteries....

Qui est iocus

• Locked thread