Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Loco-Moco

I'm not unfamiliar with the fried egg on a cheeseburger, it's one of my diner drunk food staples alongside various meats in tube form, but lovely, rubbery McDonalds egg product on a low-quality McDonalds burger? God drat.

would, so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Loco-Moco

I'm not unfamiliar with the fried egg on a cheeseburger, it's one of my diner drunk food staples alongside various meats in tube form, but lovely, rubbery McDonalds egg product on a low-quality McDonalds burger? God drat.

I'm pretty sure that for everything you can say about their other foods, McDonalds eggs are actually freshly cracked eggs cooked on the grill in a ring mold. They're probably overcooked, which would make them rubbery, but I don't think they're "egg product."

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Loco-Moco

You're on your own there, pal.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Loco-Moco

Yeah, nothing wrong with maccas eggs (at least down here). If that had a slice of tinned beetroot then it would be a "burger with the lot" that any independent burger restaurant will serve. I think even maccas sold an aussie burger like that (not sure, never tried one, it could have been burgerking/hungry jacks).
Seems a lot of people want an egg and slice of tinned beetroot in their burger in Australia.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Mar 11, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe time has worsened my memory of them, but I have nothing but awful memories of McDonalds eggs. I don't even mind their burgers that much, and if I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll grab a McChicken from them for lunch but that combination really doesn't sound appealing.

Legit shocked that they use real eggs though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also actual Loco Moco is the best poo poo ever. It's Hawaiian food so naturally it looks like some kind of horrifying food they'd serve in a cafeteria in a Disney Channel show, but like other Hawaiian food of its type it tastes like heaven.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I accidentally drank too much last night and now am hungover and I would murder a man with my bare hands for that eggburger right now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I can guarantee that in practice, eggburger's eggs will be either cooked at a too-high temperature or held in a warmer, both of which will make them rubbery and gross on your burger.

Egg is awesome on burgers, but you just know they're going to screw up the execution.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So it's basically just hamburger helper sans the salty as gently caress flavor packet?

Yeah I guess that is a pretty good analogy

Jmcrofts posted:

Did it have the traditional tater tot layer on top?

no tater tots

AnonSpore posted:

Isn't that American goulash?

Had to look that up, but yes, this pic from google is exactly what it looked like:

So yeah, I dont know she always called it hot dish. Maybe it was just a regional thing? Any Duluth goons that can confirm/deny?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not My Leg posted:

I'm pretty sure that for everything you can say about their other foods, McDonalds eggs are actually freshly cracked eggs cooked on the grill in a ring mold. They're probably overcooked, which would make them rubbery, but I don't think they're "egg product."

They are. The scrambled eggs and the folded ones are the eggs that come in a milk carton. But the round eggs are from whole eggs, and like you said, cooked in a ring mold on the grill.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Nooner posted:

Maybe it was just a regional thing? Any Duluth goons that can confirm/deny?

Duluth goon checking in.

This is tater tot hot dish.

This is goulash.

I grew up with my dad making goulash with various ingredients a few times a week. Hot dish was typically for "fancier" occasions like when company was coming over or holidays or whatnot. I've never had a Christmas where hot dish was not eaten at some point, green bean hot dish being my absolute favorite. Anything that could be considered a casserole and is oven-baked in a glass or stoneware dish is a hot dish.

The cafeteria at the place I work serves tater tot hot dish, chicken wild rice hot dish, and chef's choice hot dish (leftover frozen veggies and bread/cheese topping) weekly. I remember eating tater tot hot dish in elementary school too.

Koivunen has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 11, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If "green bean hot dish" is the same as this:

then it is fully my poo poo and a staple of holiday meals in the midwest.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, in the Midwest, hot dish means casserole. That's really the only difference. I've also never seen a casserole in a proper casserole dish that is round either, just the 13x10 cake pans

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Jmcrofts posted:

Yep that's it. I could eat that every day.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

I actually went my whole life thinking that green bean casserole was horrible trash food because my family never ate it, but then I made it near Thanksgiving for a cooking class I was doing on a whim and it was actually amazing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I would kill for that Loco-Moco burger.

Japanese McDonald's is bizarre in that it's wonderful. It's not a sad greyish burger cowering in the corner of the bag with limp lettuce sticking out of it like it tried halfheartedly to escape its prison but then gave up- the burgers look like the food stylist pictures on the menu. Flawless.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with maccas eggs (at least down here). If that had a slice of tinned beetroot then it would be a "burger with the lot" that any independent burger restaurant will serve. I think even maccas sold an aussie burger like that (not sure, never tried one, it could have been burgerking/hungry jacks).
Seems a lot of people want an egg and slice of tinned beetroot in their burger in Australia.

I don't particularly care for eggs on burgers, but I would eat the poo poo out of that eggburger.
Doubly so if it had beetroot. Beetroot on burgers is magical.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I'm totally down with eggs but I can't fathom why you would put beetroot, of all things, on a burger. That being said, I think I'm gonna give it a chance next time I'm burgering it up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

I would kill for that Loco-Moco burger.

Japanese McDonald's is bizarre in that it's wonderful. It's not a sad greyish burger cowering in the corner of the bag with limp lettuce sticking out of it like it tried halfheartedly to escape its prison but then gave up- the burgers look like the food stylist pictures on the menu. Flawless.

Isn't Japan the country that has strict advertising laws stating that food has to look like how it is shown in ads?

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I just moved to the midwest and was introduced to "Party Potatoes" which is your typical hashbrown casserole with a couple cans of soup thrown in and topped with Kellogg's Corn Flakes. At first I was weirded out by potatoes topped with cereal, but it didn't taste bad. Probably because corn flakes are just..corn flakes. Would've been more awful with Frosted Flakes.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Catpain Slack posted:

I'm totally down with eggs but I can't fathom why you would put beetroot, of all things, on a burger. That being said, I think I'm gonna give it a chance next time I'm burgering it up.

It works really, really well. You won't be sorry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Catpain Slack posted:

I was in Chillago, Australia, stopped in at a hotel bar, and ordered a burger. It had beetroot and it was amazing. I wish it was a thing in Canada.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Why do some people call minced meat/ground meat "Hamburger"

A Hamburger is a very specific thing. What the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, a "hamburger steak" or "hamburger" is a very specific thing, a patty of ground beef

And a "hamburger sandwich" is the thing on a roll

80 years from now in 2015 you wouldn't believe what they'll be calling this poo poo

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Data Graham posted:

Yes, a "hamburger steak" or "hamburger" is a very specific thing, a patty of ground beef

80 years from now in 2015 you wouldn't believe what they'll be calling this poo poo

I bet you call all carbonated drinks "pop"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah, Moxie is the accepted standard generic term

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't Japan the country that has strict advertising laws stating that food has to look like how it is shown in ads?

Is it? I didn't know that! That's kind of cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with maccas eggs (at least down here). If that had a slice of tinned beetroot then it would be a "burger with the lot" that any independent burger restaurant will serve.
It's missing the tomato, and being McDonald's is probably that awful bread they use rather than a normal roll. Probably processed cheese too.

Koivunen posted:

I grew up with my dad making goulash with various ingredients a few times a week. Hot dish was typically for "fancier" occasions like when company was coming over or holidays or whatnot.
So, the one that looks like an ordinary pasta dish that anyone would eat is the plain everyday one, and the one made with tater tots is the special fancy one? :psyduck:

Catpain Slack posted:

Pickled, not fresh. This is important.

Data Graham posted:

A "hamburger sandwich" is a tautology.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And a "chickenburger" is from the ancient city of Chickenburg

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Nooner posted:

This is goulash.

This is my dad's go-to thing to make when my mom is out-of-state visiting friends or whatever. He calls it American Chop Suey but he's from Boston area so I dunno if that's regional or just something he made up. It's pretty bland but edible.

e: Looking it up yeah that's what they call it in eastern Mass for some reason.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh gently caress yes "green bean slop" my dads side of the family calls it, but it is extremely my poo poo. I've made it for a few holiday potlucks but no one else seems to touch it. More for me I guess

Turfahurf posted:

This is my dad's go-to thing to make when my mom is out-of-state visiting friends or whatever. He calls it American Chop Suey but he's from Boston area so I dunno if that's regional or just something he made up. It's pretty bland but edible.

"Bland but edible" is the perfect description for it.

Nooner has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Mar 12, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Turfahurf posted:

Because that's what it's called. :colbert:

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Because that's what it's called. :colbert:

I was born in eastern Mass and my entire family's from there but I grew up in Vermont so I dunno. I'm the oldest person in my family without a Boston accent.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Turfahurf posted:

Definitely called American Chop Suey.

Definitely sucks. Way too bland. My mom used to make it for my brothers and I when we were younger. That and "Potato Chip Casserole" (egg noodles, ground beef, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, topped with crushed up sour cream and onion chips) were staples in our house growing up in Boston. /poor

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Loco-Moco

Yeah like others said, the type of egg item in that picture is a real cracked egg cooked in a ring mold on the same flat grill surface that they make the quarter pounders on.

the OTHER egg thing that they serve

only went on the mcgriddles, I'm not sure if they still use them because I haven't thought about going to mcdonalds for breakfast in a long time.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
In the earlier incarnation of this thread someone mentioned Stovies, and how it was seen as the lower end of the food list. I actually made it myself, and it was totally delicious!

It's like making Moussaka, you basically can't mess up with beef, potatoes and onion. Hell, even my dysfunctional roommates in college managed to make a great casserole on occasion.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I work in shipping and saw a reused box that was previously filled with McDonald's McChicken patties and had the ingredients listed on the side. The list made it seem surprisingly natural.

quote:

MCCHICKEN PATTY
Allergens: WHEAT

Ingredients: Chicken, Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphates. Battered and Breaded with: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Flour, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Spices, Wheat Gluten, Paprika, Dextrose, Yeast, Garlic Powder, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and Cottonseed Oil with Mono and Diglycerides, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Ammonium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Natural Flavor (Plant Source) with Extractives of Paprika

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Renzuko posted:

Yeah like others said, the type of egg item in that picture is a real cracked egg cooked in a ring mold on the same flat grill surface that they make the quarter pounders on.

the OTHER egg thing that they serve

only went on the mcgriddles, I'm not sure if they still use them because I haven't thought about going to mcdonalds for breakfast in a long time.

They still use those (i was late to work and don't judge me)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Turfahurf posted:

I'd never heard of it being called "American Chop Suey" but the name is really funny considering the original chop suey was invented in the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Not My Leg posted:

If only that were true:

This is what passes for eggs ad McD, at least around these parts (France).

• Locked thread