Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My mom grew up in the Midwest and would make hotdish a lot when I was growing up but it was ground beef with like corn, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and macaroni noodles all mixed up together in a big skillet. You could definitely tell it was a Midwest dish because it was bland af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So it's basically just hamburger helper sans the salty as gently caress flavor packet?

Yeah I guess that is a pretty good analogy

Jmcrofts posted:

Did it have the traditional tater tot layer on top?

no tater tots

AnonSpore posted:

Isn't that American goulash?

Had to look that up, but yes, this pic from google is exactly what it looked like:

So yeah, I dont know she always called it hot dish. Maybe it was just a regional thing? Any Duluth goons that can confirm/deny?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jmcrofts posted:

If "green bean hot dish" is the same as this:

then it is fully my poo poo and a staple of holiday meals in the midwest.

Oh gently caress yes "green bean slop" my dads side of the family calls it, but it is extremely my poo poo. I've made it for a few holiday potlucks but no one else seems to touch it. More for me I guess

Turfahurf posted:

This is my dad's go-to thing to make when my mom is out-of-state visiting friends or whatever. He calls it American Chop Suey but he's from Boston area so I dunno if that's regional or just something he made up. It's pretty bland but edible.

"Bland but edible" is the perfect description for it.

Nooner has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread