Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Oysters are common in most parts of the world.

They also don't have legs and mandibles and other pointy bits. I've had crickets and mealworms from a novelty store all cooked up and seasoned like potato chips or peanuts. The crunchy texture is pleasant but having sharp lil insect bits pierce your gums is not.

It reminds me of whole shrimp that a chinese buffet around here serves - lightly breaded and seasoned, pan fried with green onions. Snap it in half, eat the tail meat, then slurp out the liquid gold inside the head. It's amazing, like demiglace or gumbo cooked down to a thick gravy/stew kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Captain Jesus posted:

There's a cheap eatery near where I work that posts examples of their menu on facebook every day. Let's just say the images don't really make me want to eat there.

I'll... um... can I send that back to the kitchen? It's a little rare for me.... :whitewater:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

diabeetz posted:

placenta pizza

"What the gently caress is that? Cranberries? Lingonberry jam?"

"Oh it's browning, must be some kind of meat."

"Looks like offal or sweetbreads or something."

:stare: YUP

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Reminds me of a classic drewtoothpaste video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwMHU-Rdjw

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hello, Pizza Hitler here,

without the stingers they kinda look like land shrimps

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AnonSpore posted:

Someone I follow on twitter just uploaded this:

Steamed potato with butter and squid shiokara.

Shiokara led me to a really interesting set of wiki articles: "chinmi" or, literally translated, "rare tastes." Lots of interesting Japanese dishes that would make most natives squeamish. I would try some of these, because the description reminds me of other weird foods I have tried and loved. Others sound like machismo-fueled LA BEAST challenges....

quote:

Ikanankotsu - Cooked soft bones of squid
Hoya - Sea Pineapple
Funazushi - Authentic funazushi is made from a wild subspecies of goldfish called nigorobuna - Fresh funa are scaled and gutted through their gills keeping the body (and often the roe) of the fish intact. The fish are then packed with salt and aged for a year before being repacked annually in rice for up to four years. The resulting fermented dish may be served sliced thin or used as an ingredient in other dishes.
Shuto - It is made by pickling the entrails of Bonito (katsuo), fermenting them for more than six months, then chopping them up and sometimes adding a mixture of sake, honey, and mirin to them. There is also a Tuna (Maguro) type that has a milder character. The name of the dish means "sake thief" and is derived from the fact that it is a good side dish for sake.
Dorome - a local specialty of Kōchi Prefecture in Japan. In the Tosa dialect, dorome refers to sardine fry 2–3 cm in length. They are eaten fresh, dipped in a sauce made from minced garlic greens, vinegar and miso. It is often served at bars and pubs along with alcohol.
Karasumi - a food product made by salting mullet roe and drying it by the sunlight.

would not
would not
would
would
would
would

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

the yeti posted:

This is from a bit back but dead on, and I think I remember GWS even had a thread that went into just straight up bad cooking in the past few years. Most of our parents (supposing the average goon is born in the late 80s to early 90s) learned to cook from parents directly influenced by all the god awful cooking sensibilities-grey meat, mush veggies, etc- and processed food disaster cookbookery of the 50s and 60s.

My dad hates rare or even medium-rare meat. When he was a kid they'd have backyard cookouts and the meat was always charred outside, pink and almost cold inside. It scarred him for life. I grew up eating well done EVERYTHING. Dry-rear end pork, grey steaks. Probably the worst contender is beef top round (London Broil). So rubbery and chewy, and dry as hell because the cut is so lean. I do still enjoy my mom's Sunday roast, cooked to hell and back. The browned outer layer is delicious, and the drippings make for amazing gravy. Chicken drumsticks are also pretty good when overcooked in the oven. A little stringy, but the fat from the skin keeps them somewhat moist.

Possibly Chicken posted:

I like that corn is in loving everything in the United States, but Corn Tortillas don't seem very popular.

Corn tortillas are more of a hassle (need to prep storebought ones, making it at home is a lot more work than just getting a bag from the store), but are so much better compared to wheat. The absolute worst is uncooked wheat tortillas, in a wrap or burrito. It's dense, pasty, and has that raw flour taste of a sauce that wasn't thickened right. They're like an "edible" napkin - keeps everything else from making a mess but the meal would taste better without it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Finished pizza: TEENAGE MATCHT FREI

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

boo_radley posted:

gently caress orgy of meat

...mods?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

wanna grow both of these then mash them together until they fall apart then eat the pieces off the floor like a loving animal you piece of poo poo

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Buttmeister posted:

when i was in college and extremely poor i would open up a can of tuna, drain the water, put cheese on said tuna (still in the can) and eat it

Low carb lean gain lunchtime! Also on the list:

- eggs a la Rocky (not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as you would think - great trick to disgust friends or coworkers!)

- mashed avocado and cottage cheese (you stay the gently caress away from those crackers bro, get a spoon)

- eatin room temp spinach straight out the can

- smoked sardines from the dollar store or dimly lit overstock outlet warehouse

I kinda miss being so into working out/healthy eating that I could make myself eat incredibly fast and cheap utilitarian "meals."

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Crow Jane posted:

Once, when fairly high, I poured myself a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios only to find we were out of milk. However, we did have apple cider, so I thought what the hell. Big mistake. Even with serious munchies, I could only manage a few bites before I threw the whole mess out. Neither thing is overly sweet on it's own, but combining the two made something so incredibly cloying it actually made my lips pucker.

Along the same lines, "we're out of milk, just gonna put some coffee creamer in my cereal." NO DONT :barf:

:itwaspoo:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

What's underneath the fig (caper berry?) - I can't visualize it as anything other than a 1/2 cup of whole grain mustard...

edit: mung beans in some kind of gelatin???

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
im the 1" cube of uncooked bacon

Big Centipede posted:

If I'm identifying those cubes correctly, that, although an ineffecient sandwich, is probably delicious

sammich is art

:bravo:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

"cottage cheese and salmon mold" sounds like something you'd find all the way in the back of your fridge.

or tween yo mama legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

fermun posted:

Twitter #WifeMaterial search

There are so many questions that I will never know the answer to. Is this a vegetarian meal where they just removed meat from what would be a full meal? Are they still waiting for the main dish to finish cooking? If it's vegetarian, is that caesar salad dressing (cuz that has anchovies in it)?

Bread (would), pasta with the barest smattering of sauce (or is it just overcooked pasta???), raw baby carrots with dip, bowl of dressing with salad mixed in. And wine, cuz this is a meal worth celebrating!

...are they carb-loading before a marathon?

• Locked thread