Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Fo3 posted:

Pretty sure that people cook them before eating.

Eh, they're eaten both cooked and raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Australian bush is one step away from being kindling.
Why eat it raw when the materials to make fire are so plenty?

Id say eating it raw is the mark of a bad survivalist :colbert:.

Because they taste fine and aren't dangerous to eat raw. The mark of the bad survivalist is unnecessary energy expenditure when gathering food - and building fire without matches or a lighter takes a lot of energy. On top of that, the witchetty grub is from central Australia, which you may recognize as being home to one of the largest and least hospitable deserts in the world, with a lot of areas of relatively little plant life and fuel for good fires.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ok, my Aussie friends, can I get a clarification on this? So you put pickled beets (or pickled beetroot, in your parlance) on your burgers? That sounds delightful. No weirder than us putting pickled cucumbers on ours, which is SOP for every fast food place.

I fuckin' love beets, pickled and plain; I could see putting a roasted beet slice on a burger, and would probably love it, but pickled beets suddenly makes more sense. And now I have a horrible craving for pickled beets. Here, at least in my part of the US, those are a side dish. eg, at a church picnic, you get a hamburger, some potato salad, and a few slices of pickled beets. No one puts 'em on their hamburgers, you put them on the side and watch as everything slowly turns magenta as the beet juice escapes and infiltrates the rest of your food, unless you've got the fancy Solo plates with dividers.
What have I been missing the last 40 years of my life by not putting them on burgers? :cry:

Yes, we often put slices of tinned beetroot on our burgers. It might be a different brine and we just call it tinned, not pickled, but it's essentially the same. It's a bit sweet, a little sour, and it has just enough bite to go nicely with the rest of the burger. We also like bacon, eggs, and pineapple on there, and mostly we use mild cheddar (we call it tasty) rather than the processed singles for the cheese. An Aussie burger with the lot is a confusing, delicious, sweet, messy, salty, greasy experience, perfect after a long night out or a day at the beach. That kiwi burger is missing the cooked onions too, which are pretty much standard here and also delicious. They do them up on the flat top so they cook in the accumulated grease and filth of the day's (or longer at sleazier joints) sausages and burgers, caramelizing really nicely and actually taking on a pretty nice sweet-onion-umami flavour profile.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Don't cook with olive oil, its hella bad for you. Eat it uncooked, its great, but it turned out to be quite bad for you to cook in it. Frying with animal fat or some different vegetable oil is preferred now.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To be fair, not all of us are like that. Those of us lucky enough to have significant Indian and Thai populations nearby gradually work up our affection for actual spice and move up to versions they aren't making bland as gently caress to appeal to the general palate. The Australian culinary world is in a bit of a change at the moment with an increasing emphasis on flavour and international influences merging with local techniques and ingredients, so over the next two decades things should improve a little.

At the moment though eating at a friend's place can be a recipe for the Sadface. I had a friend caution me a curry he made was for the 'daring'. It had zero spice. Like, none. I had to put so much spiced lime pickle on there to get any that it was overwhelmingly sour.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tiggum posted:

Fo3 is wrong anyway, we've definitely had tacos and tortillas for a lot longer than 7 years. Also, flat-bottomed tacos are a gimmick that one company does, not some weird Australian way to make them. And I don't know what he means about Mexican food not being big here, because just about every supermarket seems to have a "Mexican" section. Even if the pre-packaged spices in "taco kits" or jars of salsa or whatever aren't "authentic" it's not like you can't get the ingredients to just make stuff.

FO3 also said we can't buy jars of crushed tomatos that aren't Italian imports that time. I really wanna know where he shops.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Looks almost like a fruitier, less-coffee-centric take on a tiramisu, really.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

poop dood posted:

what the gently caress is chicken salt

No one really knows. It's brown, salty, delicious, and probably like 95% MSG at most places. Some say it has chicken stock, some don't. Whatever it is, it's loving great. Savoury and salty and good.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

cobalt impurity posted:

They're fairly common in the south, at least in east Texas and northern Louisiana. They're mostly of the "pocket pie" variety instead of the kind more common in the UK and Australia. Aside from being able to buy them frozen in any grocery store, you could find them in almost any gas station that served hot food beyond just hot dogs. You also see them labelled as "empanadas" though those are usually a slightly different recipe. Same idea though and they're drat good eatin'! Like all of America's perceived culinary problems, I blame the Midwest.

That is not a proper meat pie - not in the Aussie sense, anyway. Like Tiggum says, the shape is wrong, as is the look of the filling. It looks like a perfectly acceptable meat pasty but not a pie.

Incidentally, we do other things than just beef in our pies. Some of the best involve peas and potato, curry, or bacon as well as the steak. Good steak and kidney is also popular, and there's a bakery near me that does a nice pie with beef, bacon, and actual cheddar beneath the lid that is delicious, if fattening as hell. Peppersteak is also really popular as a pie, but it's normally just a conventional beef filling with a ton of black pepper mixed through - delicious, but not the same as some of the 'steak' pies which are a bit 'chunkier'.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A quick google tells me that thing is made with venison. So not only do they fail to understand that it's 'herd', they don't grasp the 'sheep' side of things either.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

rodbeard posted:

There's a lot of difference between laughing at bachelor chow and animal cruelty.

Man, balut ain't animal cruelty. It is, however, delicious once you get past the initial shudder of disgust! Cicada soup and chicken balls ain't animal cruelty either, and we know gently caress all about the provenance of the crispy critter to decide if it's cruel or not. It's a guinea pig, by the way.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Captain Lavender posted:

I used to go to my friends house, and they would spray I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on angel-hair pasta with just salt and pepper and it was super satisfying. brb, buying ICBINB.

Just use actual butter, it's much better and not particularly weird to have a bowl of buttered noodles from time to time. Fatty, but not weird. poo poo, add a little parmesan and garlic and you've got a proper dish if you eat it in moderation as part of a full meal.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I don't understand how bacon could possibly be 'paleo'.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a misnomer. Uncured bacon just means bacon cured in an 'organic' fashion, and usually with even more salt than normal bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

It is so very, very appropriate that it has such a sort of... 'Industrial' name.

• Locked thread