Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Big Centipede posted:

The idea of eating bugs doesn't bother me any. I've eaten mealworms and crickets before but there are some animals I just don't think I could eat. Turtles for example just seem like they'd be gross as gently caress.

Completely the opposite in fact, by all accounts Turtles and Tortoises are tasty as gently caress. The Brits had to invent Mock Turtle Soup because real turtle got too expensive but everybody wanted to eat them still.
Also it took 300 years for the tropical giant tortoise to get a scientific name because every specimen that got put on a boat back to England was eaten before it arrived because they were that drat delicious. Even the 12 tortoises that Darwin tried to bring back. All eaten because they were the equivalent of food crack cocaine. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Guardian Australia did a review if it here.

It's not good so it truly belongs in this thread.
Shame, as it could have so good :smith:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SLOSifl posted:

The gently caress is a bap?

It's sort of like a barm cake. Hope this helps.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Eat the Eggs! Eat them!

Only the brave will venture here

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dienes posted:

Look at you making gravy like a sucker when these exist.

Why is that gravy white? Is that usual for American gravy or is it actually sweet or something? To my British eyes that looks like a picture of lumpy runny cream on scones.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not the "standard" here but white gravy is a thing, and is made with cream and has chunks of sausage in it. It's not sweet, is actually pretty good on biscuits if properly done.

Yeah, I've just done some googling and worked out that 'white gravy' is bechamel sauce essentially and that in America many sauces are called gravy. In the UK only brown gravy is called gravy which is why it looked so odd to me and biscuits look just like scones so it makes me think 'sweet'.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Here is my recipe for biscuits and gravy. I make it every now and then, and it's in every diner in Oregon, but this is my favorite version. I tried to make it Euro-friendly with the units and ingredients used.

Biscuits:
  • 341 grams all purpose flour, chilled (plain flour)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda = bicarb of soda
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt = coarse grained salt, use maldon sea salt or something similar I think
  • 85 grams butter
  • 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup =250ml also if you can't get buttermilk you need to google how to make it yourself or sub in yoghurt/milk mixture or use sour cream
  • Preheat oven to 425°F
  • Mix dry ingredients well. Cut in butter then shortening (lard?, not in ingredient list) using your fingers, until the texture resembles coarse crumbs. Don't over do it and don't let the fats get too warm.
  • Add buttermilk and mix only enough to incorporate. Turn out onto a floured board/counter.
  • Fold the dough two or three times, press or roll it out to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick, and cut to desired size. Consolidate and fold the remains a couple of times, flatten, and cut more.
  • Place them, barely touching, on a half-sheet baking pan lined with a Silpat(or use baking paper) and use your thumb to make a dimple in the center of each biscuit. Brush lightly with buttermilk and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until done.
Gravy:
  • 500g breakfast sausage or chipolata, removed from casing (pork sausage meat or maybe just use pork mince?)
  • 4 slices bacon (American style), diced = streaky bacon
  • 1/2 medium onion or 1-2 shallots, diced finely
  • 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced finely
  • 25g flour
  • Plenty of black pepper
  • Salt
  • Sage
  • 2 cups half-and-half or single cream = 500ml, half and half is half cream half milk
  • Chunk of butter
  • Heat a skillet (frying pan) on medium heat, then cook sausage, bacon, and onions, breaking the sausage into small pieces. Reserve the cooked meat and onions and leave the fat in the pan. Cook gradually at this stage - you want to render the meat and extract as much fat as possible.
  • Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add garlic, pepper, sage, and salt. Stir into the roux and cook until fragrant.
  • Slowly stir in the half and half, using a small amount of half and half with a small amount of roux in a bowl to make a béchamel.
  • Stir in the reserved meat and onions. Cook over medium heat until it thickens. Keep in mind it will become slightly thicker when you serve it, and thin it out with milk or half and half.
  • Stir in the butter and let sit while you prepare the biscuits.
To assemble, split biscuits in half while not quite steaming but still warm, laying them inside up. Spoon gravy over the biscuits and garnish with parsley and lots of black pepper.

One biscuit will serve one person. You want to cover the biscuits entirely with gravy and have a little bit left over on the sides.

It is a calorie bomb, and a gut bomb, but it's really tasty fatty indulgence that is good comfort food.

Thanks for the recipe, I might try it out of curiosity though it's far too much cream for my taste and seems like it would be far too rich and heavy for breakfast. I think I wouldn't be able to move after a portion of that.
I've tried to make it even more UK friendly as there is a huge gulf between cooking / baking methods, terminology and ingredients from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Murphy Brownback posted:

No food I can remember has made me gag as badly as Vegemite. The Australian friend who sent it to me told me to eat a spoonful of it on its own, so I did and I've never wanted to try it on anything since. It sounds especially disgusting on a steak though.

You have failed the secret test at being an Australian. Please stay where you are while we send your complimentary package of spiders to you.
Enjoy your day mate :australia:

• Locked thread